Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2021, 03:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My old Pentax

I am having trouble uploading my photos to my laptop, thinking that my card is as old as my camera which is a K100 D. I have tried 4 other new cards and even did a format on each but still get an error reading. Is it possible that the GB are too big for the camera? and is there anything I can do to make it work? Many thanks in advance. Shelly Maan.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-17-2021 at 04:10 AM.
08-17-2021, 04:42 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shelly Quote
I am having trouble uploading my photos to my laptop, thinking that my card is as old as my camera which is a K100 D. I have tried 4 other new cards and even did a format on each but still get an error reading. Is it possible that the GB are too big for the camera? and is there anything I can do to make it work? Many thanks in advance. Shelly Maan.
Might be an issue with your card reader if they are formatting ok on your camera. Try format the SD card in your laptop as a test. Use FAT32 as the filesystem.
08-17-2021, 05:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any new SD-card will be SDHC or newer (4GB or more), which the original firmware ver 1.00 in K100D did not support.
So you probably need to upgrade the firmware to the latest one. (Ver 1.02). If it is the K100D Super it already support SDHC and newer SD cards with original firmware.

I do not think K100D can support SD-cards with more than 32GB size with latest firmware.

To check firmware version hold down menu botton while switching on the camera.

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-17-2021 at 05:31 AM.
08-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

How did you try to upload the pictures, that is the most important info that is missing to give you a good answer.

08-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Any new SD-card will be SDHC or newer (4GB or more), which the original firmware ver 1.00 in K100D did not support.
So you probably need to upgrade the firmware to the latest one. (Ver 1.02). If it is the K100D Super it already support SDHC and newer SD cards with original firmware.

I do not think K100D can support SD-cards with more than 32GB size with latest firmware.

To check firmware version hold down menu botton while switching on the camera.

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
I can confirm that I had this type of an issue myself with this same model. It was difficult to find an older card and get the update done but that worked for me years ago.
10-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to all that helped with suggestions. I was assisted and helped by a very kind Pentax person, whom I sent my camera to and he did the updated firmware plus gifting me with a zoom lens as mine was completely stuffed up would not work at all..... I am forever grateful to Alan Cole for his offer to help and what he has done for me. I had bought a new camera a Canon, yes I know TRAITER.... but have since decided its not for me. If I want to crop a lot of a particular scene I'll use the Canon, no that doesn't make me happy cos I love the Pentax and carrying around the tripod to get a steady clear photo, my phone as a remote, my water bottle, the zoom lens is no fun.... So yeah I stick with my Pentax any day!!!!! Once again I appreciate all your help. Thanks guys! Now I just got to get out an about more..