08-20-2021, 01:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Stay away from manual lenses
Adding fuel to the flames ?

08-20-2021, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I have had issues with some Sigma mid-range zooms (28-105, 70-300), but that could be down to sample variation - my 10-20 and 150-500 are fine. My personal preference is for zooms with 3x or less focal length change (i.e. 70-210), simply because mfrs have had many years to refine the designs and manufacturing processes. These so-called 'super zooms' are fine in principle, but (never having used one, but having seen some results posted) may in some instances sacrifice quality for price. 6x4 prints may be fine, but I remain to be convinced of their suitability. Then again, being in my seventies, I often feel that 'old is best' ! Your choice, in the long run. You may be able to hire lenses you wish to try out.
08-20-2021, 02:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
No, preventing a burn out!
08-20-2021, 02:25 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
in general , you got what you pay.
That is not a reliable guide in the used market. You need to do your homework studying actual reviews, such as those on PF.

Some sellers ask a lot even though they are selling rubbish, very often because they have no idea of the value (or lack of value) of what they are selling anyway. You have only to look at the "Crazy Overpriced Items on Craiglist/Ebay" thread here on PF to see examples of that - like an M50 F2 lens (poor) at twice the typical sold price of M50 F1.7 lenses (good). Another example is that zoom lenses with wider ranges tend to sell for more than ones with less, even if the lesser range one is optically and mechanically better, aimed at professionals, and the longer range one was designed as a cheap kit lens - soft at the range ends but appealing to an inexperienced buyer.

There are also fashion trends which inflate prices far beyond their real value. The K1000 camera is a prime example, fetching high prices while almost identical (and slightly superior) KMs at lower prices are overlooked (sellers of the latter pleading "Please read this - the KM is a K1000 but better!").

Some sellers deliberately pitch a price at far more than the going rate and let it sit on Ebay for months or years on the chance that someone will buy it without doing research first on the very assumption that "you get what you pay for".

The other side of this is that some fantastic bargains can be found, where sellers don't realise how good something is, and nor do most other buyers.

08-20-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmjjr Quote
Stay away from the 17-70 unless you enjoy replacing the sdm-Pentax has never corrected the problem
you had a bad copy of DA17-70 / 4, I used that lens on apscu for decades and I didn't have any problems, and I bought a used one on ebay, it was irreplaceable for everyday photography and better than Sigma 17-70 / 2,8-4 DC

Stay away from manual lenses if you have a digital camera, they are not bad but they are so hard to focus on the modern camera's lacking a split screen. And as FozzFoster mentioned the FA J lenses from Pentax. Any other? Well, stay away from the Pentax 80-320, because it will have its issues with the diaphragm ring.
I have been using FA 80-320 silver on K1 for three years, bought used on ebay (lens number: 5681434), I am very satisfied with how much I paid and how much that lens gives in FF on K1 (from 80mm to 200mm is aperture f 4.5/,320mm with an aperture of f5.6 on the FF is a very nice range), you can read my review on this forum where place for that, you must have had a bad black copy, I read that there are some problems with the black FA80-320

Last edited by mbukal; 08-20-2021 at 03:00 AM.
08-20-2021, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stay away from manual lenses if you have a digital camera, they are not bad but they are so hard to focus on the modern camera's lacking a split screen. And as FozzFoster mentioned the FA J lenses from Pentax. Any other? Well, stay away from the Pentax 80-320, because it will have its issues with the diaphragm ring.
I would disagree with the suggestion to avoid manual focus lenses. The focus confirm beep/light, if you have calibrated AF via the Adjust All setting, I have found to be quite accurate. As you can see from my signature, I have one or two manual lenses.
08-20-2021, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

People will rush to defend these but I've been using Pentax digital gear for over ten years - stay away from any of the original lenses with SDM, especially the DA*s. Their focus motors are prone to failure, especially those in the 16-50mm and 50-135mm lenses. The new DA* 16-50mm I'm sure is a different beast altogether and not to be avoided, quite the opposite.

Other than that, I'd say stay away from all the film era slow kit zooms: 28-80mm, 28-70mm, 35-70mm, 35-80mm etc etc etc. I've tried quite a few and all were so bad they're not worth the space they occupy.

08-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Than you are lucky with your 80-320, some people are not so lucky. I bought a new one (made in Japan) just after it was released. After a couple of years I had a problem with it and Pentax refused to repair "because it was not worth it!". On this forum some people told they got the same problem as I did.
08-20-2021, 03:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Of course you can disagree, just like me it is only an opinion, which you are entitled to. But I would not recommend buying a manual lens for a digital camera.
08-20-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums.. interesting question, I had never thought of asking myself. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
08-20-2021, 04:49 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Not at all. I am genuinely interested. I work in the high end optics field and I know the basic you get what you pay for adage holds especially true with optics. Lets face it some companies just make cheap junk to sell because its cheap. I would prefer not to learn which ones those are the hard way spending cash.
08-20-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
you had a bad copy of DA17-70 / 4, I used that lens on apscu for decades and I didn't have any problems, and I bought a used one on ebay, it was irreplaceable for everyday photography and better than Sigma 17-70 / 2,8-4 DC
If you look at the user reviews for this lens you will see a lot of others have had SDM issues with this lens. That includes me. The repair is expensive, and the failure rate is high enough that there is a lot of risk with this lens. I do not see that it is available new in the US at the three major Pentax sites: B&H, Adorama or Amazon. It may be discontinued, even though it is not listed as discontinued anywhere. If anyone is looking for a lens with a versatile zoom range I think they would be much better with the DA 16-85. I have both the 17-70 (with dead SDM motor) and the DA 16-85 (my most used lens), other good zoom options are the DA 18-135 or the HD 20-40 Limited zoom. The 16-85, 18-135 and 20-40 Limited all use a DC motor for autofocus and it is not prone to failures noted for older SDM autofocus motors.

Last edited by jddwoods; 08-20-2021 at 05:14 AM.
08-20-2021, 05:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grossy Quote
I would prefer not to learn which ones those are the hard way spending cash.
Can you tell more about the field you're looking for?
Like AF/MF, price range, focal lenghts, apertures...

You can check the user rated lenses sorted ascending here:
Legacy Lenses | PentaxForums.com
08-20-2021, 06:06 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Without going into a long diatribe with my "opinion" I would suggest you think about what you are wanting to shoot and then just research those lenses that fit the bill! Here is a good reference point to start. Lens Reviews | PentaxForums.com Reviews
08-20-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grossy Quote
Not at all. I am genuinely interested
This wasn't a dig at your original post, I think it's a fascinating question. My own opinion is that there are some great manual lenses from decades ago as many here will attest. Lack of autofocus is of no hindrance to those of us who take landscapes for instance, and the way a vintage lens renders can be a thing of great beauty. Add to that the pleasure of using some of these lenses can be a pleasure in itself