Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2021, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I disagree - I don't know what the old days were like, as I have no film background at all ... but I do know that I enjoy a huge number of film-era lenses here and now, without film...

my point is that MF lenses can be amazing things on digital cameras...
Some of us used to modify enlarger lenses to fit on our SLRs, just to see what effects they might produce, just for fun. Others don't even want to use any lenses that aren't modern and "up to date." (meaning big and expensive). It all depends on your definition of fun.

09-01-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Some of us used to modify enlarger lenses to fit on our SLRs, just to see what effects they might produce, just for fun. Others don't even want to use any lenses that aren't modern and "up to date." (meaning big and expensive). It all depends on your definition of fun.
funny you say that... I am toying with a similar idea. I happen to work at a company that makes lenses for measuring microchips and if I can get the clearance to get one of the old outdated ones I was going to put it on a linear bearing with a bellows and see what I could do with it. Odds are low of getting my hands on one but it's been a thought.
09-01-2021, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Grossy Quote
funny you say that... I am toying with a similar idea. I happen to work at a company that makes lenses for measuring microchips and if I can get the clearance to get one of the old outdated ones I was going to put it on a linear bearing with a bellows and see what I could do with it. Odds are low of getting my hands on one but it's been a thought.
When I was younger, one of my buddies and I tried all kinds of insane stuff I'm sure neither of us would bother with today. But, the final outcome is, it helped form our perspectives. You learn stuff, relevant or not is another issue. But maybe in understanding the extremes, you learn to appreciate the value of the commonplace. I'm absolutely certain people who complain about kit lenses have never mounted a magnifying glass lens to a K-mount bellows. Where as people like myself think, "Well OK, I can work with that."

Last edited by normhead; 09-02-2021 at 06:15 AM.
09-01-2021, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by riffraffselbow Quote
One I'd call out specifically to avoid is the 1980s Takumar 135/2.5 (and probably the entire line of 1980s bayonet Takumars, as Just1MoreDave pointed out, which were a budget range of non-SMC lenses). Despite that enticing aperture, the lens may as well be labeled a "Soft" lens at wide open, and it only really cleans up at like f/5.6, at which point it's a non-smc 135mm and surely you can do better with basically any new lens and most old ones.
I concur. I had one of these and never got any satisfactory pictures out of it. (And I'm not really a stickler for sharpness, either.)

---------- Post added 09-01-21 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f2. This lens is not bad but again, it was made to be a cost-cutting lens and the price difference is not worth it. The coatings don't really look like SMC either. If you buy a lot of used stuff you might end up with one for free. There are lots of better or more interesting lenses at 50mm; you don't want to settle for this one.
I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2, but I sure would not avoid one either. I got one with my K1000 and I am frankly stunned at how sharp it is (at least at f/5.6 and f/8; it's plenty good enough at larger apertures). It may have been a cost-cutting lens but mine is 40+ years and still looks and works like the day it left the factory. I think this five-element lens has a bit more "3D pop" than the faster 50s with more elements. (Just my opinion.) There is NOTHING wrong with the 50mm f/2.

10-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AAlfano Quote
I concur. I had one of these and never got any satisfactory pictures out of it. (And I'm not really a stickler for sharpness, either.)

---------- Post added 09-01-21 at 10:47 AM ----------

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2, but I sure would not avoid one either. I got one with my K1000 and I am frankly stunned at how sharp it is (at least at f/5.6 and f/8; it's plenty good enough at larger apertures). It may have been a cost-cutting lens but mine is 40+ years and still looks and works like the day it left the factory. I think this five-element lens has a bit more "3D pop" than the faster 50s with more elements. (Just my opinion.) There is NOTHING wrong with the 50mm f/2.
Interesting comments about the k-mount 1980s Takumars. I had many of them back in the day, used with various Pentax K mount cameras, including the MX and LX. And without exception I found them sharp under almost all conditions. Granted all sharpened up when slightly stopped-down, but I have only ever considered the maximum aperture as a focussing aid with bright screen and minimal DOF. As an aside, I have a Tomioka-designed Yashica 55mm f1.2, but only under absolute 'get a shot or lose it' conditions did I shoot it wide open!
These days most have gone because I cannot be bothered to adjust for the CA that many exhibit when used on digital, but I anticipate that if used with Pentax cameras incorporating shake-stabilisation, the numbers of reasons for shooting at maximum aperture would be vastly reduced. ( I don't discount the visual effects of shooting at shallow DOF as a reason to shoot wide-open, but that is another kettle of fish)
10-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #81
Veteran Member

I sold my 28-300 Sigma superzoom on ebay in mint condition, and mentioned in the advert that it's resolution was not great at any focal length, but would be fine for pictures in an album and the buyer was very pleased with it.