Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jilldw Quote
Hello,
I have my new K70. I have two SD cards both formatted in the camera. I took one out and replaced it with another to take pictures for an event. When I went to replace SD card 2 with SD card 1 it told me I needed to format the card. I then replaced SD card 2 (after moving pics to computer using an SD card reader) into the camera and I got the same "format card" message. In using other cameras I have never had this issue. I don't want to format the card, I want to continue taking pics on the card where I left off. When full I keep them as a backup and start fresh with a new card. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm sure I have moved pics to computer on SD card 1, replaced it in the camera and not had this issue previously. Help!
Thanks
Jill
Quick question, are you copying files from the "SD" cards or moving the files?

My understanding is that moving them deletes the original from the card and moves it to the computer drive, thus your card is left blank.

How to Copy or Move Files and Folders on Windows 10

08-31-2021, 07:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jilldw Quote
Thanks for the info...i'm sure I ejected one of the cards, can't swear to it on the 2nd. I know I didn't set the read-only tab on either card. Is there anyway to find these windows files on the sd card?
So if you get this message it is often because you haven't ejected the card. But it's an easy fix, which is to put the card back in the card reader on the computer, and then eject it. If you put it back in the camera it will then be fine.

---------- Post added 08-31-21 at 07:45 AM ----------

Keeping your photos on your original SD card is not a good backup solution. SD cards are not intended as long-term storage, and are not particularly stable that way. You'd be better off getting an external hard drive and keeping an extra copy of your photos on it, and reusing the SD cards. Plus, it would be significantly cheaper in the long run.

(You also do not need to reformat the cards every time to erase them, as other posters have suggested.)
08-31-2021, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
My understanding is that moving them deletes the original from the card and moves it to the computer drive, thus your card is left blank.
Move copies the file to the target directory then marks the source file as deleted and the space available for writing. The data is still there but can now be overwritten.
09-01-2021, 12:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I realise that SD cards are not recommended as long time storage, but my preference is to copy, not move, the files to HDD, then examine the copies to ensure that they have not got corrupted in the copy process. This leaves the originals on the card in case of errors, or to enable another first-generation backup copy to be made (which again I check).

09-01-2021, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I copy them…I want to keep taking pictures on the same card and just back up the new ones on my computer as I go along. It was also suggested I make sure my firmware is also updated.

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Quick question, are you copying files from the "SD" cards or moving the files?

How to Copy or Move Files and Folders on Windows 10

---------- Post added 09-01-21 at 03:06 AM ----------

Oh thank you for this info! I had no idea to reinsert the card reader on the computer and “eject” it (if I hadn’t done so). Brilliant!
I do back up my pictures elsewhere, but I find it easier to simply grab an sd card and take it to get pictures printed. I had figured as a 3rd backup leaving them in the card wasn’t a bad idea. I hadn’t taken into consideration that they might not be stable long term.

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
So if you get this message it is often because you haven't ejected the card. But it's an easy fix, which is to put the card back in the card reader on the computer, and then eject it. If you put it back in the camera it will then be fine.

---------- Post added 08-31-21 at 07:45 AM ----------

Keeping your photos on your original SD card is not a good backup solution. SD cards are not intended as long-term storage, and are not particularly stable that way. You'd be better off getting an external hard drive and keeping an extra copy of your photos on it, and reusing the SD cards. Plus, it would be significantly cheaper in the long run.

(You also do not need to reformat the cards every time to erase them, as other posters have suggested.)

---------- Post added 09-01-21 at 03:08 AM ----------

I completely agree! I would just rather go a bit overboard on the backup end and make sure everything copies successfully multiple times.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I realise that SD cards are not recommended as long time storage, but my preference is to copy, not move, the files to HDD, then examine the copies to ensure that they have not got corrupted in the copy process. This leaves the originals on the card in case of errors, or to enable another first-generation backup copy to be made (which again I check).