Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #1

SD format card question

Hello,
I have my new K70. I have two SD cards both formatted in the camera. I took one out and replaced it with another to take pictures for an event. When I went to replace SD card 2 with SD card 1 it told me I needed to format the card. I then replaced SD card 2 (after moving pics to computer using an SD card reader) into the camera and I got the same "format card" message. In using other cameras I have never had this issue. I don't want to format the card, I want to continue taking pics on the card where I left off. When full I keep them as a backup and start fresh with a new card. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm sure I have moved pics to computer on SD card 1, replaced it in the camera and not had this issue previously. Help!
Thanks
Jill

08-20-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2

Be sure to safely eject/unmount the card from your PC or Mac before removing the card from the reader.

The computer OS can also put hidden files and folders on the card which sometimes can cause problems. One quick solution for this is to set the read-only tab on the card (provided the card reader has a sensor for this) before putting the card in the reader.

For what it is worth I've never had a problem caused by Windows writing extraneous files to the card. But I always safely eject the card.
08-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It likely may have been that you didn't eject the cards nicely from windows, especially if they are new cards. Use the safely eject card option in Windows and format in camera is really the best way to go. If they are old well worn cards it may be that they are starting to fail but that usually takes lots of use as in 10s of thousands of pictures taken for modern cards. I've worn some out but that is after several years of doing astrophotography and I think I get about 60,000 shots on a pair of cards (write the same to both) before one in the pair starts having problems and then I just replace both cards with new ones. It is a lot cheaper than film..
08-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How old and which brand are you using? Probably not a bad idea to use different SD cards.

08-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Be sure to safely eject/unmount the card from your PC or Mac before removing the card from the reader.
This ^ ^ ^

Steve
08-20-2021, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I usually format my cards in the camera that I use prior to each use after unloading their images on my computer. As was said above, after moving images to the computer, the next step is to choose the Eject option on the computer, and choosing to remove the device being used (sd card reader for example). I always make sure the card is formatted in camera after use in a computer or any other device.
08-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jilldw Quote
Hello,
I have my new K70. I have two SD cards both formatted in the camera. I took one out and replaced it with another to take pictures for an event. When I went to replace SD card 2 with SD card 1 it told me I needed to format the card. I then replaced SD card 2 (after moving pics to computer using an SD card reader) into the camera and I got the same "format card" message. In using other cameras I have never had this issue. I don't want to format the card, I want to continue taking pics on the card where I left off. When full I keep them as a backup and start fresh with a new card. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm sure I have moved pics to computer on SD card 1, replaced it in the camera and not had this issue previously. Help!
Thanks
Jill
If I were you I would try a third card, format it in camera, take a view pictures, transfer them to your computer, close the transfer program, use safe removal, and put it back in the camera. If it again says format the card have the K-70 replaced, because the camera is not working properly. Wonder what happens if you put SD 1 and SD 2 back in the cardreader and connect them to the PC. Can they be read on the computer or do you get a message that the card is unreadable?

08-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I do the same as you, fill each card (or nearly), then archive it and replace it. I also set write protect as soon as I remove the card from the camera, then use Windows Explorer to copy the images to their destinations on my data drives. Never had the issue you describe - only associated problem has been replacing card in the camera (K3) without removing write-protect, at which point the camera politely reminds me.
08-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

The computer OS can also put hidden files and folders on the card which sometimes can cause problems. One quick solution for this is to set the read-only tab on the card (provided the card reader has a sensor for this) before putting the card in the reader.

For what it is worth I've never had a problem caused by Windows writing extraneous files to the card. But I always safely eject the card.
Thanks for the info...i'm sure I ejected one of the cards, can't swear to it on the 2nd. I know I didn't set the read-only tab on either card. Is there anyway to find these windows files on the sd card?
Thanks!

---------- Post added 08-20-21 at 05:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
It likely may have been that you didn't eject the cards nicely from windows, especially if they are new cards. Use the safely eject card option in Windows and format in camera is really the best way to go. If they are old well worn cards it may be that they are starting to fail but that usually takes lots of use as in 10s of thousands of pictures taken for modern cards. I've worn some out but that is after several years of doing astrophotography and I think I get about 60,000 shots on a pair of cards (write the same to both) before one in the pair starts having problems and then I just replace both cards with new ones. It is a lot cheaper than film..
These are both brand new cards that I've taken the pictures on so I doubt both would fail in the same way. If I can't find a solution I will reformat them..but I'm hoping I can figure out the issue first with some help! Thanks for your suggestions!

---------- Post added 08-20-21 at 05:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
How old and which brand are you using? Probably not a bad idea to use different SD cards.
Brand new cards (within the last 6 months)..both San Disk Extreme Plus 128 GB.

---------- Post added 08-20-21 at 06:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I were you I would try a third card, format it in camera, take a view pictures, transfer them to your computer, close the transfer program, use safe removal, and put it back in the camera. If it again says format the card have the K-70 replaced, because the camera is not working properly. Wonder what happens if you put SD 1 and SD 2 back in the cardreader and connect them to the PC. Can they be read on the computer or do you get a message that the card is unreadable?
When I can get a 3rd card I'll give your suggestion a try. I did try the cards back into the card reader and I can view the pictures on the card. When replaced into the camera (after safely ejecting of course) I still get the "format card" prompt.
Thanks for the suggestions!

---------- Post added 08-20-21 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I do the same as you, fill each card (or nearly), then archive it and replace it. I also set write protect as soon as I remove the card from the camera, then use Windows Explorer to copy the images to their destinations on my data drives. Never had the issue you describe - only associated problem has been replacing card in the camera (K3) without removing write-protect, at which point the camera politely reminds me.
I've never used the write protect on the cards but I will for sure going forward. I've never had this issue in any other camera so this has confused me a bit.
Thanks for your feedback!

---------- Post added 08-20-21 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I usually format my cards in the camera that I use prior to each use after unloading their images on my computer. As was said above, after moving images to the computer, the next step is to choose the Eject option on the computer, and choosing to remove the device being used (sd card reader for example). I always make sure the card is formatted in camera after use in a computer or any other device.
So you reformat a card each time? Do you do that to simply reuse the card or is there another reason like things getting corrupted on the cards? It seems like no one else is having my issue so I'll have to figure out my game plan asap!
Thank you!
08-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could it be you set write protect by accident?
08-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
-

So you reformat a card each time? Do you do that to simply reuse the card or is there another reason like things getting corrupted on the cards? It seems like no one else is having my issue so I'll have to figure out my game plan asap!
Thank you!
I reformat each use because that keeps the card “clean”, does not harm it, and just avoids corruption problems. I think there are some manufacturers that have placed the recommendations in their manuals. It is just a best practice. I had corrupted images once years ago when I forgot to format a new card, that taught me a lesson.
08-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

These are both brand new cards that I've taken the pictures on so I doubt both would fail in the same way. If I can't find a solution I will reformat them..but I'm hoping I can figure out the issue first with some help! Thanks for your suggestions!
It is unlikely that your cards have gone bad, though there might be some filesystem corruption that will resolve by using the format utility provided by the SD Card Association. Reformat your cards using the utility's rewrite option. Remembering to do a safe eject from the computer, put the card in the camera. The camera will create its files and folders on first use.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Regular use of the utility should not needed.

So you reformat a card each time? Do you do that to simply reuse the card or is there another reason like things getting corrupted on the cards?
Many of us do use the in-camera format that way. That said, an in-camera format is "shallow" in that it is basically an erase of files markers and the allocation tables with creation of new copies of the required folders. I prefer it in preference to erase all and generally do it after successful copy of the files onto the computer rather than continuing to store files on the camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2021 at 09:13 PM. Reason: forgot to include link to SD Association
08-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thank you!
Yes, I reformat the card each time. That way the files on the sd card are just the way the camera wants them. The format in the camera sets up the files on the sd card to be ready for use in that camera. What you are avoiding by doing that is any influence from other devices on the set up of the sd card. Of course make sure that you have backed up your images from that card prior to doing the reformat in the camera.
08-22-2021, 07:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is unlikely that your cards have gone bad, though there might be some filesystem corruption that will resolve by using the format utility provided by the SD Card Association. Reformat your cards using the utility's rewrite option. Remembering to do a safe eject from the computer, put the card in the camera. The camera will create its files and folders on first use.

SD Memory Card Formatter | SD Association

Regular use of the utility should not needed.

Many of us do use the in-camera format that way. That said, an in-camera format is "shallow" in that it is basically an erase of files markers and the allocation tables with creation of new copies of the required folders. I prefer it in preference to erase all and generally do it after successful copy of the files onto the computer rather than continuing to store files on the camera.

Steve
Thank you so much for the info. I've only ever formatted a card via the camera. I had no idea there was another way to format if needed. Thanks!
08-22-2021, 07:14 AM   #15

Original Poster
I thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions! I'm so glad I have found this community! I'm not 100 percent sure what caused my issues, but I will make sure I'm ejecting properly, locking the card before using a card reader and I'm going to see if there is perhaps an issue with the port on the computer that could also be causing my issue. If I ever figure it out I'll be sure to report back!
Jill