Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #1

Pentax Flash Not Working

My question is about the AF540FGZ II. It is several years old and stopped working. Pentax's service will repair it for $275 (plus any extra parts). Or I could buy a new Godox V1 and get the same first/second curtain, HSS and TTL for $235. What is the best play here?

08-21-2021, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want to attempt a repair yourself (or find a friend who is knowledgeable in electronics who might attempt a repair), it's probably more prudent to get the new flash with more capabilities for less than the Pentax repair cost. It can come down to what's wrong with the unit. If it's something simple and the repair is easy (and you can find a means to get that repair done), keeping the old flash and getting it working would be wise, but short of that, there's only one choice out of the two you proposed.
08-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
sbc

Photos: Albums
I say get 3rd party flash. Ricoh seems to have stop developing the flash system. There is no radio trigger, no ring flash, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1323077-REG/yongnuo_yn585ex_pentax_wi...dlite_for.html

This is a good AF540FGZII replacement. Only functions missing are HSS and WR.

Last edited by sbc; 08-21-2021 at 08:19 PM.
08-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry62712 Quote
What is the best play here?
It depends on how you use your AF540FGZ II. Do you use it off-camera? If so, what features and how triggered? Do you use it wired off-camera?

Steve

08-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or try to get an used one , if you are not in a hurry.
In Australia they do not hold value very well.
I purchased my AF540FGZ II , used in very good condition for ~ AU$200
Recently few AF540/360's ( the original Mk l ) were sold for ~ AU$70
08-22-2021, 05:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It depends on how you use your AF540FGZ II. Do you use it off-camera? If so, what features and how triggered? Do you use it wired off-camera?

Steve
I generally use it on camera. Probably 33%/33%/33% between first, second and HSS Steve.

---------- Post added 08-22-21 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
If you don't want to attempt a repair yourself (or find a friend who is knowledgeable in electronics who might attempt a repair), it's probably more prudent to get the new flash with more capabilities for less than the Pentax repair cost. It can come down to what's wrong with the unit. If it's something simple and the repair is easy (and you can find a means to get that repair done), keeping the old flash and getting it working would be wise, but short of that, there's only one choice out of the two you proposed.
I did try that. One battery leaked so I scraped off the corrosion off the one battery (of four) and one terminal. New batteries made no difference and it's dead as a doornail.
08-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry62712 Quote
I generally use it on camera. Probably 33%/33%/33% between first, second and HSS Steve.
Then the V1 would fill the gap. It is too bad that Godox does not offer a full-size flash with Pentax TTL support at a price point lower than the V1.

Steve