Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thank you- yes I was 20 and it was 53 years ago!

But remember-- a useable handle for trial evaluation may be $20-30 or equivalent; stands and lights are a significant investment.
Each will have its place and use, but stands will not sub for an on camera flash for "party or candid and unposed " photos.

08-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Thank you- yes I was 20 and it was 53 years ago!

But remember-- a useable handle for trial evaluation may be $20-30 or equivalent; stands and lights are a significant investment.
Each will have its place and use, but stands will not sub for an on camera flash for "party or candid and unposed " photos.
That is very true and I will need to have something in the long run. But as amazing as it may sound, I can't really find anything within Europe.
08-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
That is very true and I will need to have something in the long run. But as amazing as it may sound, I can't really find anything within Europe.
Amazing!
Here, I would look first on ebay for a used grip/handle; and then on Amazon for a new one- as the new ones are usually made in China anyway.
08-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Amazing!
Here, I would look first on ebay for a used grip/handle; and then on Amazon for a new one- as the new ones are usually made in China anyway.
Yeah, that's where I always look first (EU sites).

I'm really liking something like this: Universal 1/4" Sliding Screw Metal Flash Bracket for Digital Camera: Amazon.de: Electronics & Photo

08-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes that kind of thing is hard to source. Out of curiosity, I did a bit of research yesterday and while this company is here in the U.S., they do ship international.

CB Digital-SB - Custom Brackets

CB Mini - Custom Brackets

Quality appears to be first rate. The first bracket has an anti-twist feature that is quite intriguing. The second looks to be just the thing for run-and-gun (might work better with available anti-twist bar).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2021 at 02:14 PM.
08-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe something like this is much more useful and easier to handle.
The straight type offers the tendency to hold onto the flash itself- not a good idea.

Hama Folding Angle Bracket 90: Amazon.de: Electronics & Photo
08-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sometimes that kind of thing is hard to source. Out of curiosity, I did a bit of research yesterday and while this company is here in the U.S., they do ship international.

CB Digital-SB - Custom Brackets

CB Mini - Custom Brackets

The first bracket has an anti-twist feature that is quite intriguing. The second looks to be just the thing for run-and-gun (might work better with available anti-twist bar).
I stumbled upon those as well. A single CB Mini will end up costing 98USD with cheapest shipping option and import taxes. Ideally, I'd need two and would also need to buy cold shoes.

I ordered 2 of those I linked to. Total price including shipping landed at 41USD. I already have sync cables so no extra expenses. If anything, it's cheap enough as a first try and to see how I like such setup.

I believe something like this is much more useful and easier to handle.
The straight type offers the tendency to hold onto the flash itself- not a good idea.

Hama Folding Angle Bracket 90: Amazon.de: Electronics & Photo
I've been thinking about that. I don't think it would become an issue at all when shooting horizontally, but maybe when shooting vertically.

I just checked some numbers from 2 most recent weddings (after culling):

153 total shots with flash
140 horizontal
13 vertical

161 total
150 horizontal
11 vertical

I use flash once people start dancing and shooting horizontally captures the moments better - but also because shooting vertically will bring my elbow way out and I might hit someone while zig zagging in between people. Yes, yes, I know about battery grips and I don't like using them :P I've tried for few weddings.

09-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got this today: Universal 1/4" Sliding Screw Metal Flash Bracket for Digital Camera: Amazon.de: Electronics & Photo

The good: Handling feels really good.

The bad: No chance I'm going to attach a shoulder strap to that thing. I barely have to look at it before it gets lose.
09-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I got this today: Universal 1/4" Sliding Screw Metal Flash Bracket for Digital Camera: Amazon.de: Electronics & Photo
I got this yesterday...

Your latest acquisition - Page 1563 - PentaxForums.com

Too interesting to pass up at less than $25 USD...very solid.

Steve
09-10-2021, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

This might be a dumb idea, and there might be things I haven't considered (I shoot macro and smaller, nothing involving people). What about a wearable flash, like on the brim of a hat or potentially perched on your shoulder with a strap, with a wireless trigger that would be activated by transmitters equipped on each of your cameras. As long as the transmitters and trigger are all on the same channel you should be able to effectively share one flash between them. You'd have to turn towards your shots differently, and it might mess up your stance, but it might be an interesting experiment.
10-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My apologies for not returning sooner. I've been extremely busy with weddings ever since the corona related restriction were lifted. I'm quiet burned out right now.

I only tried the brackets I bought, at my nephews wedding, because I wasn't on job there. I liked the idea but those particular brackets do not work well. Screw is too short which raises safety concern and the bracket rotates/becomes lose very easily. I didn't add strap to it because of that. It would be like begging for trouble. I liked the compactness though.

For the paid jobs, I've been forced to get the flash off-camera because of the bad hot-shoe. It worked really well but it was only during the bridal dance, where I would need to be all over the place. Light stands for this would be ideal and I would like to be able to be more mobile.

Your latest acquisition - Page 1563 - PentaxForums.com

Too interesting to pass up at less than $25 USD...very solid.
Have you used it since since you bought it? How has it been and how safe do you think it would be on a shoulder strap?

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This might be a dumb idea, and there might be things I haven't considered (I shoot macro and smaller, nothing involving people). What about a wearable flash, like on the brim of a hat or potentially perched on your shoulder with a strap, with a wireless trigger that would be activated by transmitters equipped on each of your cameras. As long as the transmitters and trigger are all on the same channel you should be able to effectively share one flash between them. You'd have to turn towards your shots differently, and it might mess up your stance, but it might be an interesting experiment.
It's not dumb because I once considered it, lol. A while back I saw a photo of a photographer with many flashes mounted on some sort of armature he was carrying. Looked extremely geeky but it did make be wonder if I could discretely carry just a single flash on me. I never figured out how
10-31-2021, 08:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Longer screws are available, and double sided tape will stop the rotation.
If you are concerned about "dropping" the flash, a length of thin nylon cord to the camera or camera strap will suffice.

Think "out of the box" and look for what will work, not what doesn't work quite right.

For scores of years cameras did not have hot shoes, or even cold shoes- photographers managed!
10-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Have you used it since since you bought it? How has it been and how safe do you think it would be on a shoulder strap?
I have used it with a horizontal carry, but don't think it is well suited for your use case. I anticipate that they may be migrating the feature to their other products, though.

Steve
10-31-2021, 09:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Longer screws are available, and double sided tape will stop the rotation.
If you are concerned about "dropping" the flash, a length of thin nylon cord to the camera or camera strap will suffice.

Think "out of the box" and look for what will work, not what doesn't work quite right.

For scores of years cameras did not have hot shoes, or even cold shoes- photographers managed!
I think plenty out of the box - enough to have other professionals laugh me (on several occasions)... only to be amazed at the result and wanting me to share my "secrets".

It's not a case of the bracket might becoming lose once in a while, but pretty much Immediately. I've already double secured my cameras when using them with straps. With this, I'd need 2. One for the camera and one for the flash. Way too complicated for patience.

Last remark wasn't necessary. More than 99% of my shots are without flashes. I mainly use flashes when i need to. Not because I want to.

I have used it with a horizontal carry, but don't think it is well suited for your use case. I anticipate that they may be migrating the feature to their other products, though.
Good to know. Thanks!