Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 hotshoe - can I glue it?

I had 2 K-3 II which I replaced with a K-3 II and K-3, when the actuation numbers got close to 250k.

First two went through repairs for loose/broken hotshoes and now, the hotshoe on the K-3 has become very loose too. It works, but will probably brake completely off next time I use the camera with an attached flash.

I can't remember how much I paid previously for repairs. Probably somewhere between 235-315USD.

Question is, could and should I glue it? I don't care about re-sell value, and if some sort of super glue can make it last for the remainder of the cameras lifetime, then that's more than enough for me.

08-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that glue will provide a reliable fix.
08-22-2021, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My flash mount on my KP cracked a while back and I ended up gluing it. The glue worked, but I was not careful enough and I glued the popup flash down also. I seldom ever used it so no real loss for me. I also ended up purchasing a second KP when they were on sale.
Here is the link to my thread:
Crack in flash mount - PentaxForums.com
08-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote

Question is, could and should I glue it? I don't care about re-sell value, and if some sort of super glue can make it last for the remainder of the cameras lifetime, then that's more than enough for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My flash mount on my KP cracked a while back and I ended up gluing it. The glue worked, but I was not careful enough and I glued the popup flash down also. I seldom ever used it so no real loss for me. I also ended up purchasing a second KP when they were on sale.
Definitely not a super glue, but an epoxy and that type epoxy the wing in camera used must work well with the material in the Pentax cameras. Just make sure you figure out how to clamp it before actually doing the repair, then read the directions, mix it well, and let it cure before using.

08-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

First two went through repairs for loose/broken hotshoes and now, the hotshoe on the K-3 has become very loose too.
That is very strange. Are you driving around with the flash attached? The shoe is attached with screws through the underside of the camera's top cover. You might be able to flood the area with epoxy, though there is no guarantee that will secure the point of attachment without disabling the built-in flash or the dribble down onto the diopter adjust or eyepiece works.

Steve
08-22-2021, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had 2 K-3 II which I replaced with a K-3 II and K-3, when the actuation numbers got close to 250k.

First two went through repairs for loose/broken hotshoes and now, the hotshoe on the K-3 has become very loose too. It works, but will probably brake completely off next time I use the camera with an attached flash.

I can't remember how much I paid previously for repairs. Probably somewhere between 235-315USD.

Is there a reason you don't use a handle flash? or use your current flash on a handle mount?

Move the stress from the not so substantial hot shoe to a robust mounting handle.
08-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I doubt that glue will provide a reliable fix.
Or at least least till next camera upgrade. I wont be using the mostly recently purchased two bodies for as long, as I used the first two.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Thanks! I'll check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Definitely not a super glue, but an epoxy and that type epoxy the wing in camera used must work well with the material in the Pentax cameras. Just make sure you figure out how to clamp it before actually doing the repair, then read the directions, mix it well, and let it cure before using.
Very interesting. Thanks! As for clamps, I own some that will do the job. Just checked and they "fit" nicely.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is very strange. Are you driving around with the flash attached? The shoe is attached with screws through the underside of the camera's top cover. You might be able to flood the area with epoxy, though there is no guarantee that will secure the point of attachment without disabling the built-in flash or the dribble down onto the diopter adjust or eyepiece works.
I shoot at weddings and by the time the flash is added, I move more (dancefloor stuff). Plus, bodies hang from shoulder straps.

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Is there a reason you don't use a handle flash? or use your current flash on a handle mount?

Move the stress from the not so substantial hot shoe to a robust mounting handle.
Yeah, I know. I looked into them before but such a setup will become too cumbersome when carrying 2 bodies.

08-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shoot at weddings and by the time the flash is added, I move more (dancefloor stuff). Plus, bodies hang from shoulder straps.
Normally, it is the flash foot that goes, that is why I wondered about vibration.

This...^ ^ ^...better to sacrifice a wired hot shoe adapter than the camera. Even better is wireless sync. Note that red-eye reduction is an inherent benefit. If too cumbersome, it might be time to ask what the second body is about or why you don't have an assistant.

Steve
08-22-2021, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Normally, it is the flash foot that goes, that is why I wondered about vibration.
Of all the flashes I've had, and I've had many and some really cheap ones, I've never had the foot break on any of them.

This...^ ^ ^...better to sacrifice a wired hot shoe adapter than the camera. Even better is wireless sync. Note that red-eye reduction is an inherent benefit. If too cumbersome, it might be time to ask what the second body is about or why you don't have an assistant.

Steve
Assistants are pretty much out of the question because of economics. Wireless would have been best solution, if it wasn't for children who use the venue as their playing ground. In other words, safety concerns. There are flash clamps, but those can't be used in all venues. Second body is obviously for backup and different focal length.

I'd love to get the flash off camera and have been wanting to do so for years. I'm actually so tired of the bounced light look, that forward pointed flash is exciting again.
08-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very good idea. Knowing how incredibly thin the plastic is under the K-1ii's hotshoe, I now only use wireless flash. A tripod mount flash bracket is perfect for that.
08-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zafar,
Did you actually try the grip? A grip improves handling in other ways also, in addition to the flash benefits you mention.
I'm right handed and manipulate the camera/controls with that hand; the grip allows me to securely hold the camera and make adjustments without changing the left hand grip.

A grip may even improve the handling, as you won't have to be worrying about the flash security on the hot shoe. I'd give it a try. JMHO.
08-23-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Zafar,
Did you actually try the grip? A grip improves handling in other ways also, in addition to the flash benefits you mention.
I'm right handed and manipulate the camera/controls with that hand; the grip allows me to securely hold the camera and make adjustments without changing the left hand grip.

A grip may even improve the handling, as you won't have to be worrying about the flash security on the hot shoe. I'd give it a try. JMHO.
Hmm, that's curious. I've never tried any I always thought handling would be worse/awkward. That's what's kept me from them. I think I'll give it a try.
08-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried to see if I could fasten the hotshoe screws before using the glue. They are not accessible from the outside so I removed the top panel - but only one was accessible. Rest are hidden under underneath a board. The board was heavily glued, so I gave up.

I suppose it makes more sense now why getting the hotshoe fixed costs so much: because the entire top panel is probably replaced. How simple it would have been, if the screws were accessible.

Since I can't even remove the hotshoe entirely, I also can't apply the glue properly.

Oh, and btw, was uber surpriced by how weak the hotshoe area actually is. It just fitted on a thin layer of plastic.
08-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zafar,
I looked at your website- well done; and great pictures.

I no longer do weddings, and only did for friends many years ago; but the first one was done with a twin lens reflex and flash mounted on a handle grip- I could not have managed flash any other way.
So my idea of cumbersome was forged in about 1968 ; with a big boxy camera, flash calculations and manual focus.! Modern dslr cameras are a pleasure to use and the handling is really amazing- with automated flash and focus!
Of course I did not have to worry about choosing "portrait or landscape" view with that big square negative!
08-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Zafar,
I looked at your website- well done; and great pictures.

I no longer do weddings, and only did for friends many years ago; but the first one was done with a twin lens reflex and flash mounted on a handle grip- I could not have managed flash any other way.
So my idea of cumbersome was forged in about 1968 ; with a big boxy camera, flash calculations and manual focus.! Modern dslr cameras are a pleasure to use and the handling is really amazing- with automated flash and focus!
Of course I did not have to worry about choosing "portrait or landscape" view with that big square negative!
Thanks!

Oh boy, 68 was a long while ago xD

I'm undecided between a flash handle or getting a bunch of light stands.

I think I'll go for light stands and have good talks with couples about safety.