Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #1

Pentax 6x7 MLU counter not advancing

Hi, I recently bought a 6x7 that had some issues with the shutter curtains, I sent it to KEH for repair, I told them to check for anything and everything to bring it to fully working conditions, I received the camera 3 days ago, loaded first film roll yesterday, aligned the start arrow, closed the door and moved the lever several times and the counter never moved, the lever never reached any tension to indicate it was ready for the first shot either. I tried to test it, brand new battery, the shutter works if I do a “dry fire”. I wasted an entire roll today trying to troubleshoot it without luck, should I send it back to them for repair? Does anyone know any other way to test if the camera can at least take photos? Like can I put the film and manually move the counter to start shooting?

08-23-2021, 02:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try the whole procedure again. Maybe the film jumped off the uptake spool. The camera is newly repaired and therefore ought to work as intended.
The battery is needed for metering and for the shutter mechanism. But it has no influence on film travel.
How did you advance the film to match the film arrow with the markings in the camera? Did you use the film advance lever? Did the film advance work properly before you closed the back door? If it did, it should also work after you have closed the back door.

Use the wasted roll to test the camera and familiarize yourself with it.

One test you could make without film: open the back door, put your thumb on the serrated part in the center of the frame counter and move the dial past 1 and keep it there while you close the back door. You should now be able to cock the shutter mechanism and fire the camera (with a battery in the battery compartment) to test the shutter without film in the camera.
08-23-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thank you for your input, the film advances fine with the lever, that’s how I matched the arrow to the 120, the film advances with the door closed using the lever also, that’s how I wasted an entire roll as i kept winding it until it fully rolled to the right, but the shutter counter never moves. Performing a dry shot works, the shutter works if I test it as you suggested.