Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Microphone Connector - TRS or TRRS?

I have a K5. Love it.

Recently, I used the video for the first time, to record my father-in-law's memorial service. The video image was good, but the audio was pretty poor.

Since I had not done much video, I used the built-in microphone, which I believe accounts for the mediocre audio quality.

I bought an external microphone that clips onto the hot shoe and connects to the microphone input socket.

My problem is that it came with two cords. One is coiled and has a three-conductor plug at each end. The other is straight and has a three connector plug at one end and a four conductor plug at the other end.

I did a little research and found the the three conductor plug is referred to as a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) connector, while the four-conductor plug is a TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve).

It appears that the TRRS connector is used for computer headsets with a built-in microphone. So, there is a ground/common wire, right headset, left headset and microphone wires.

The K5 manual is silent as to which connector to use.

I'm guessing I want to use the three-conductor TRS cable, since there is a left microphone, right microphone and common/ground. Is that correct?

08-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try the TRS first. It is the standard for DSLRs on Rode videomics and the other TRRS is used for iPhones etc.
08-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

The K-5 uses a stereo microphone so you would want the TRS connector. Computer headsets typically have a mono microphone.
08-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
TRRS are typically used on cellphone audio inputs.

08-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Only K-70 and KP use the TRRS.
08-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I suspected that RTS was the one I wanted, based on the descriptions I found. Just wanted to be sure.