Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K100D Super - No more shutter button action

Today I was on a hike (kind of my daily these days). While out today (new batteries, and tried my backup batteries), I held the shutter button down half, and nothing happened. My indications changed as I moved the camera around (I shoot on Av mode), but no beep, no green stop sign, no focus noise, nothing.

So I flicked the power button to clean it real quick and it didn't make a sound. I went into the settings and selected sensor cleaning and it worked (held the mirror up, and opened the shutter until I powered off.

I reset the camera, and tried it all again, nothing. Pulled that lens off (Pentax 28-200) and put one of my 50mm prime lenses on, and same same (selected aperture available, put it in manual focus, manual mode, nothing).

I really like the camera (owned it a few months). I don't have the funds to move up to a newer Pentax, so I'm hoping I can figure something out with this dang shutter button (it still feels "normal", and since everything worked via the menu, I can only assume the button must be bad (It did make a little hum noise when I had the sensor cleaning settings selected - all open, could see the sensor etc...).

(EDIT)
It's back up and clicking! Pulling the lens off, batteries out, and letting it sit for a day did the job. Thanks everyone.
(/EDIT)

Last edited by 67comet; 08-25-2021 at 03:49 PM.
08-23-2021, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
Today I was on a hike (kind of my daily these days). While out today (new batteries, and tried my backup batteries), I held the shutter button down half, and nothing happened. My indications changed as I moved the camera around (I shoot on Av mode), but no beep, no green stop sign, no focus noise, nothing.

So I flicked the power button to clean it real quick and it didn't make a sound. I went into the settings and selected sensor cleaning and it worked (held the mirror up, and opened the shutter until I powered off.

I reset the camera, and tried it all again, nothing. Pulled that lens off (Pentax 28-200) and put one of my 50mm prime lenses on, and same same (selected aperture available, put it in manual focus, manual mode, nothing).

I really like the camera (owned it a few months). I don't have the funds to move up to a newer Pentax, so I'm hoping I can figure something out with this dang shutter button (it still feels "normal", and since everything worked via the menu, I can only assume the button must be bad (It did make a little hum noise when I had the sensor cleaning settings selected - all open, could see the sensor etc...).
Try resetting. If that fails try pulling the battery for a few days. If it asks for a date that was enough. If not give it more days. This may reset it if it is software related.
08-23-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the K100D Super has a socket for a wired remote. If you have either a wired or IR remote, you could see if those work. Given the age of the camera, the most likely problem is dirty contacts, which could be fixed with electrical contact cleaner. To really get to the contacts, you have to disassemble the camera a fair amount - remove the bottom plate, rear LCD, then top plate. It's just a lot of screws, keeping track of them and not damaging anything, but not much fun the first time.
08-23-2021, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

In case you decide to open the body, this would give you an idea on how to to removing the top plate. It's about the *ist DS but basically it works for the K100D as well. I know because I opened a K100D according to this schedule to get access to the contacts. Notice that there is a screw in the bottom of the battery slot of the K100D D too.

How to fix Pentax ist* D DS DL Camera: Pentax ist* DS disassembling, part 1 of 2

08-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Try resetting. If that fails try pulling the battery for a few days. If it asks for a date that was enough. If not give it more days. This may reset it if it is software related.
I'll give that a go.

I climbed back into the e-Bays and didn't find an acceptable K100D Super, but I did find a K10D for a decent price on KEH (it'll be here Thursday). If my K100D Super gets it's legs back under it, I have no doubt I'll be wearing it out again (I really like the old stuff).

---------- Post added 08-23-21 at 09:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think the K100D Super has a socket for a wired remote. If you have either a wired or IR remote, you could see if those work. Given the age of the camera, the most likely problem is dirty contacts, which could be fixed with electrical contact cleaner. To really get to the contacts, you have to disassemble the camera a fair amount - remove the bottom plate, rear LCD, then top plate. It's just a lot of screws, keeping track of them and not damaging anything, but not much fun the first time.
I do have a wireless remote for it (I've got an intervelomiter too), I'll try that before I jerk the batteries for a few days. Good idea

---------- Post added 08-23-21 at 09:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
In case you decide to open the body, this would give you an idea on how to to removing the top plate. It's about the *ist DS but basically it works for the K100D as well. I know because I opened a K100D according to this schedule to get access to the contacts. Notice that there is a screw in the bottom of the battery slot of the K100D D too.

How to fix Pentax ist* D DS DL Camera: Pentax ist* DS disassembling, part 1 of 2
Once my K10D is here, I'll be tearing into my K100D Super no worries (I've always been good at ripping stuff apart and putting it back together again - it doesn't always work after I'm done, but it looks like it should).
08-23-2021, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Clean the mount contacts. Flip the af/mf button to make sure it is one or the other. Check the custom settings. K100d has release while charging, if flash isn't working. K100d super might have an only fire if focus confirmed setting. It sounds like focus so it might just be the af/mf switch is between.
08-23-2021, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k10d is a nice upgrade on the k100d. Same kind of sensor (ccd) but with higher resolution and improvements in other areas. You’re going to still find it “old” but maybe just right?

08-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure your mode selector is properly set. I recall that I ran into a problem like this when accidentally the mode selector was on an "intermediate" position.
08-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Clean the mount contacts. Flip the af/mf button to make sure it is one or the other. Check the custom settings. K100d has release while charging, if flash isn't working. K100d super might have an only fire if focus confirmed setting. It sounds like focus so it might just be the af/mf switch is between.
I reset it last night, plucked the batteries, and let it sit in a corner until it had time to think about how it was behaving. This morning I put my 50mm (manual) lens on again, and it worked. I was pretty ecstatic. I "think" it was the 28-200 lens I was using that freaked it out (I rarely use any auto lenses - I have two .. the 28-200, and a 28-55 (I think). Neither "feel" like thay're as good as the older heavy prime lenses (I don't feel the images come out as well either).

---------- Post added 08-24-21 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
Make sure your mode selector is properly set. I recall that I ran into a problem like this when accidentally the mode selector was on an "intermediate" position.
Yes'r, I went through all the knobs, switches, and settings. I just would not give me any indication it was trying to focus at all (let alone take a picture - even on manual).

I have a K10D coming Thursday, and my K100D Super started working this morning, so I'm gonna be all hooked up .

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

---------- Post added 08-24-21 at 04:30 PM ----------

The k10d is a nice upgrade on the k100d. Same kind of sensor (ccd) but with higher resolution and improvements in other areas. You’re going to still find it “old” but maybe just right?
Never used a "new" DSLR, so I'm sure it'll feel night and day newer (Before my Pentax K100D Super I had a Nikon D40 and hated it - that kit lens is utter junk) .. Hopefully next spring I'll hunt down a Pentax that'll do video (Absolutely not picky about the best, I'd just like some video when I need to capture some sounds, motion, or talk).

Pretty excited to give the K10D a turn. The 6 megapixel isn't very forgiving (I shoot everything at 200 ISO) when I'm shooting anything that needs an extended shutter release (or have to crop into where ever i couldn't zoom into). Lots of lines across the image, not to mention the "grain" is horrible - is it called "noise" in DSLR talk?).

Thank you again.

---------- Post added 08-24-21 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Thank you for the ideas.
The Super doesn't fire if it can't find focus (even with a manual lens - and it drives me bat crap crazy). The MF/AF was okay (tried it both ways just to see), and I don't think I've ever used the flash (messed with it when I first got the camera, but hated the glare on what ever I took a picture of so I used a tripod and slowed its world down). Contacts look brand new, but I'll wipe them down and see if that 28-200 lens will work again (not a big loss, I don't like the wide focal length lenses much - too much glass to go through, and the images seem like they need more work in Darktable when I'm in post).

Can't wait to play with the K10D though, not gonna lie.
08-24-2021, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
I reset it last night, plucked the batteries, and let it sit in a corner until it had time to think about how it was behaving. This morning I put my 50mm (manual) lens on again, and it worked. I was pretty ecstatic.

….

I have a K10D coming Thursday, and my K100D Super started working this morning, so I'm gonna be all hooked up .

….

Pretty excited to give the K10D a turn. The 6 megapixel isn't very forgiving (I shoot everything at 200 ISO) when I'm shooting anything that needs an extended shutter release (or have to crop into where ever i couldn't zoom into). Lots of lines across the image, not to mention the "grain" is horrible - is it called "noise" in DSLR talk?).

….

Can't wait to play with the K10D though, not gonna lie.
The k10d in jpg mode won’t give a lot more low light performance than the k100d. Both are based on old ccd sensors of the same era. The k10d will have more pixels and you may be able to down sample it to eek out more performance at slightly higher iso. It will handle better and has many other improvements.

Raw may give slightly better results with the k10d over the k100d but I’m unsure as I have never shot the k10d.

EDIT: Most sources suggest it will NOT be better - the smaller pixels and the same generation of CCD will perform with slightly lower high ISO ability. The base ISO of 100 vs. 200 will allow for greater dynamic range at minimum ISO but that doesn't apply to the question asked.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-26-2021 at 01:06 PM.
08-24-2021, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raw may give slightly better results with the k10d over the k100d but I’m unsure as I have never shot the k10d.
There is quite some difference. The K10D is way better in RAW. Even more so with the K20D, one hardly could use it for JPEG.

Of course one can alter settings in JPEG but in the K200D the JPEG-engine was better than in the K10D (or K20D),
so if one wants to shoot JPEG with a CCD Sensor, the K200D might be the better solution.
08-25-2021, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #12

I still greatly enjoy using my K-200d, ergonomically one of the best Pentax cameras ever. But oh my goodness, I recently discovered what is, imho, the best bargain Pentax buy in the universe: the K-5IIs. Probably would have been my final camera purchase, except for the fact that I just picked up a second one! If the opportunity arises, buy this camera & you’ll be thanking me later.
08-25-2021, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
I still greatly enjoy using my K-200d, ergonomically one of the best Pentax cameras ever. But oh my goodness, I recently discovered what is, imho, the best bargain Pentax buy in the universe: the K-5IIs. Probably would have been my final camera purchase, except for the fact that I just picked up a second one! If the opportunity arises, buy this camera & you’ll be thanking me later.
I had the K5IIs, sold it for the KP but bought it again because indeed it is great.
It was a huge shame Ricoh did not offer the firmware update for KAF4, no not just a huge shame: Sacrilege!

I think they pissed a lot of K5/II/s owners with that egoistic choice, more so because they offered the update for the K50 (and thus K30).
IMO this decision was much worse than the solenoid problems.
08-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
There is quite some difference. The K10D is way better in RAW. Even more so with the K20D, one hardly could use it for JPEG.

Of course one can alter settings in JPEG but in the K200D the JPEG-engine was better than in the K10D (or K20D),
so if one wants to shoot JPEG with a CCD Sensor, the K200D might be the better solution.
I've only ever shot in RAW with my Pentax (Even on my phone I shoot RAW/JPG a lot of the time).
Should be here tomorrow, hopefully before I leave for work so I can "figure it out".

---------- Post added 08-25-21 at 03:55 PM ----------

I hope it is better in RAW, I generally shoot at 200 (lowest ISO the K100D Super will go), and still it presents a lot of grain (noise) when I'm holding the shutter open for seconds at a time (I love night photography), and you can sometimes see lines across it if you pull the exposure up too high in post processing (I use DarkTable most of the time - Linux user).

---------- Post added 08-25-21 at 03:55 PM ----------

I hope it is better in RAW, I generally shoot at 200 (lowest ISO the K100D Super will go), and still it presents a lot of grain (noise) when I'm holding the shutter open for seconds at a time (I love night photography), and you can sometimes see lines across it if you pull the exposure up too high in post processing (I use DarkTable most of the time - Linux user).
08-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos to photos data suggests that the dynamic range at the same iso is slightly lower on the k10d than the k100d. Additionally I found this:
Dynamic Range K100d vrs K10d: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I really don’t think the k10d is going to perform better than the k100d at higher iso lower light. It will perform better at the lowest iso since it has a native iso 100 setting.