Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #1

K200D Aperture Issue

I bought a K200D off of Ebay recently and it works fine with my M lenses or an A lens in a manual aperture setting. When I shift to A the camera it reads the lens information (no F--) but always stops down to F22 regardless of camera settings. So everything underexposes naturally. I've tried cleaning the contacts as well as the conductive ring under the lens plate. I've reset the camera settings and tried new batteries with no effect. Any additional ideas or advice?

08-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That sounds like a stuck soleniod in the aperture control. I wonder if the camera had it removed to to put in a newer camera as a replacement.

Does the flash pop up? If it doesn't both solenoids have probably been taken out.
08-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
That sounds like a stuck soleniod in the aperture control. I wonder if the camera had it removed to to put in a newer camera as a replacement.

Does the flash pop up? If it doesn't both solenoids have probably been taken out.
This is possible, and it would be a shame indeed... as it's a great camera.

But it's also worth it to try to clean the contacts, both on the lens and on the camera. It's happened before that by doing so these kinds of problems get fixed.
08-26-2021, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scottike Quote
I bought a K200D off of Ebay recently and it works fine with my M lenses or an A lens in a manual aperture setting. When I shift to A the camera it reads the lens information (no F--) but always stops down to F22 regardless of camera settings. So everything underexposes naturally. I've tried cleaning the contacts as well as the conductive ring under the lens plate. I've reset the camera settings and tried new batteries with no effect. Any additional ideas or advice?
Test this way: (lens on A!)

Set the mode Dial to Av
select f22

and then step by step open up to whatever wide open is.

You can also look from the front into the lens:
If the lens stays always closed (f22) when you take a photo it is the solenoid.

Now, if this is the case, a previous owner must have changed the white Japan solenoid, which is in every K200D without exception against
the green China solenoid which was used from the K30 upwards.
Some people do this and file the green solenoid which makes it work for some time.

The pop-up flash works with the green China solenoid! Some K200D's had it inside when manufactured!
But you can pop it up only with batteries inside and switched ON. So careful if you disassemble it. Read about discharging the flash capacitor!

Read here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

The white Japan-solenoid never fails this way. Well....ultra ultra rare exceptions could be.

It is easy to replace. No hidden screws, similar to this tutorial:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

But I'd contact the seller first if not too late and solve it there.

08-27-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
The flash doesn't pop up either, so it seems likely both solenoids were harvested. I thought that might not have been the case since the aperture stopped down appropriately when not on "A". But it stays closed for all settings in Av, so it must be missing.

Thanks for your help. I'll see what I can do with the seller.
08-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

You can always use it with screw mount lenses. Depends of if who ever opened up the camera did any collateral damage while removing the parts.
08-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flash doesn't pop up either, so it seems likely both solenoids were harvested. I thought that might not have been the case since the aperture stopped down appropriately when not on "A". But it stays closed for all settings in Av, so it must be missing.
The lens is stopped down by the preselect aperture, so no solenoid in action.

Thanks for your help. I'll see what I can do with the seller.
You most likely paid with paypal. So you could open a case.