Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

P-TTL Pentax K3 and Sigma EF-500 DG Super PA

If this should go in the Flash Forum, mods please re-locate.

I have K3 and Sigma EF-500 flash. Try as I might, I cannot get P-TTL to work. I have the (somewhat limited) manual as a PDF, and I have checked this link :

Sigma EF-500 DG Super Pentax TTL - PentaxForums.com

to no avail. I have tried with every combination of camera and flash settings I can find, including a selection of lenses, with such variable results that I can find no common factor - sometimes flash does not fire, sometimes under-exposes, sometimes over-exposes. Does not even perform with any degree of consistency on fully manual (flash and camera) mode. I have cleaned the contacts on the base of the flash and on the hot shoe. Has any kind soul any suggestions to make please, or do I just give up ?

Many thanks.

08-28-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
to no avail. I have tried with every combination of camera and flash settings I can find, including a selection of lenses, with such variable results that I can find no common factor - sometimes flash does not fire, sometimes under-exposes, sometimes over-exposes. Does not even perform with any degree of consistency on fully manual (flash and camera) mode. I have cleaned the contacts on the base of the flash and on the hot shoe. Has any kind soul any suggestions to make please, or do I just give up ?
Sounds like the flash or camera is broken. You need to rule one out of the equation.
08-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Peter,

Flash works on K20d. Metz flash works on K3 !! Flash and camera batteries freshly charged. I think it's Gremlins.
08-28-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

If this should go in the Flash Forum, mods please re-locate.

I have K3 and Sigma EF-500 flash. Try as I might, I cannot get P-TTL to work. I have the (somewhat limited) manual as a PDF, and I have checked this link :

Sigma EF-500 DG Super Pentax TTL - PentaxForums.com

Many thanks.
If I am right this flash is meant for the old film Pentaxes and is TTL and not P-TTL. The manual refers to the use of F and FA lenses with this flash, so I have to conclude that it is not meant for digital Pentax but analogues with the TTL system. It means that you have to use it with manual settings. I used my Metz CT45 with the Metz 302 adapter and the Samsung GX-10 and it will work sometimes, but works brilliant in manual setting or auto. TTL does not work.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 08-28-2021 at 01:12 PM. Reason: additonal information added
08-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, @AfterPentax Mark II

There are references to it being used with a K-r, but needing an update for use with a K30. This may well explain things to a degree. I also understand that there are no firmware upgrades for more modern DSLRs, which probably explains why it will work with the K20, but not the K3. Thanks to all who responded - I'll just try to sell it, but explain to the purchaser the limitations I have found - and look out for a more modern P-TTL flash at a reasonable price. Sigh !!

Update

Yikes ! Just looked at prices - with my limited use of flash, out of the question, unless anyone else has any suggestions, please ?

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 08-28-2021 at 01:25 PM.
08-28-2021, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The Sigma EF-500 seems to have been available in several sub-models … mine's an EF-500ST PA, bought for a song as "new old stock", knowing it was only fully compatible with my *istDS.
I've used it on occasion as a basic "Pentax compatible" flash with some of my newer bodies, reverting to old fashioned Guide Numbers and appropriate manual settings on the camera as necessary, with some success.
For the odd occasion I want/need something more powerful or flexible than the on-camera flash I find it to be perfectly adequate, if a little less "slick and streamlined" than a fully P-TTL compatible unit … certainly a lot cheaper
Add a third-party Pentax-compatible hot-shoe extender cable and the combination results in a comprehensive flash solution that just needs a little more user input
08-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, @kypfer, for these suggestions - I'll try them out, see how I get on.

08-28-2021, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yikes ! Just looked at prices - with my limited use of flash, out of the question, unless anyone else has any suggestions, please ?
There are some very cheap P-TTL capable flashes on the market for under US$90 new. Check out the Godox TT350P or the Yongnuo YN585EX.
08-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, @Paul the Sunman for this info - I'll look into these as well.

Update,

I've looked at both of these, and neither is under £100 UK, which is over my current budget, since I use flash so infrequently. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 08-28-2021 at 04:03 PM.
08-28-2021, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Does not even perform with any degree of consistency on fully manual (flash and camera)
Flash is broken.

Steve
08-28-2021, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks, @Paul the Sunman for this info - I'll look into these as well.

Update,

I've looked at both of these, and neither is under £100 UK, which is over my current budget, since I use flash so infrequently. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Only just in budget from Bristol Cameras - Pentax AF-200FG @ £99 inc. VAT & p&p - Pentax AF-200FG Flashgun - Best Price at Bristol Cameras
I know nothing about the flashgun, but the dealer is reliable!
08-29-2021, 03:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again, @kypfer
08-29-2021, 03:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Flash is broken.

Steve
Thanks, @stevebrot, but as it works on the K20d I feel it is more likely an incompatibility between the flash and the K3.

Tony
08-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks, @stevebrot, but as it works on the K20d I feel it is more likely an incompatibility between the flash and the K3.

Tony
I forgot one constraint that I should have included in the "flash is broken" message, that being that the shutter speed must be 1/180s or below regardless of mode. Switch to X-mode and see if your flash is still inconsistent for manual use. There is nothing unique about P-TTL or manual flash compatibility on your K-3*. I would expect that it works the same as mine and that your EF-500 DG Super behaves similarly (within its limits) to my EF-610 DG Super, which operates flawlessly on my K-3 in much the same manner as it did on my K10D.

One of the reviews (from 2011) of the EF-500 DG Super on this site (LINK) mentioned the possibility of flash firmware incompatibility with recent model cameras (K-7?). What that means is hard to say.

Steve

* Even if firmware is updated to include the AF340/560FGZII models.
08-29-2021, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I am right this flash is meant for the old film Pentaxes and is TTL and not P-TTL.
The linked manual is for the ST model, not the Super. They are different.

The EF-500 DG Super PA is supposed to be a broadly compatible P-TTL flash with limited feature set. I don't believe it supports the digital TTL protocol supported by many Pentax AF bodies.

Steve