Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help with Manfrotto 496rc2 ball head

I am having great difficulty removing the bolt that holds the top plate of this ballhead. They probably used loc-tite. I've tried chilling the head, used WD40, and read somewhere to try heat. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

08-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
Forum Member

I think I have the same model, and took the bolt out a couple of weeks ago (motivated by curiosity, wondering if I could replace it with a panoramic top). I remember that it took force to get it started: close to, but not quite as much, that I would worry about the Allen key tool I was using. I remember being mildly surprised that they'd used a decent length of screw, like, I think it was more than an inch.

Chilling I wouldn't expect to help, as it'd just shrink things closer together, though it is a way to make glues more brittle.

I have used the application of heat on a screw in a piece of photographic equipment only once, but it was successful. Hold the tip of a soldering iron to the head of the screw for a couple of minutes - the aim is for the difference in heat (and consequently thermal expansion) of the screw in its hole to break whatever 'lock' they have. Give them a minute or two to cool slightly, then try unscrewing again.

Last edited by Broadside; 08-28-2021 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Added recollection
08-28-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it was loc tighted then heat is the trick. Heat gun, soldering iron, mini torch , depending on what is nearby.

A soldering iron applied to the end of the bolt will work quite well.
Make sure you’re turning it in the correct direction.

Hang up and DRIVE!
08-28-2021, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

Another vote for heat to release thread locker.

Kirk B.

09-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have given up. Replacing with arca swiss compatible head. Not worth the effort. Thanks for your suggestions!