Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2021, 05:46 AM   #1

Pentax 67 or 67ii?

Hello friends,
I am happy owner fo a Pentax 67, recently overhauled.
but i'm in love with del 67ii. I don't know whwther to sell me the previous model wich is fine. I would not have any improvement from the image quality and the prices are increasing a lot.
What would you do?

08-31-2021, 06:03 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.
I have moved your thread to a forum which will give you better replies to your question. Good luck.

Edit - Please do make another introduction thread to let us know a little about you.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-31-2021 at 06:12 AM.
08-31-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is that the 67ii has some advantages in metering options and locking the mirror up without draining the battery, as well as being generally better to handle, but it is less robust. I really enjoyed using mine, but it as more prone to damage. I haven't used either in a decade or more though, so perhaps the more recent experience of others might be more useful.

Welcome to PF, btw
08-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What kind of pictures do you take with your current 67? If you put it on a tripod and take pictures that are in no hurry, then I'd say the 67II doesn't bring much extra to the table. Your smartphone can have a more sophisticated meter. But, on the other hand, if you do more candid handhold shots, perhaps the more advance features of the 67II may be more useful. And better yet get the 67II and also keep the 67 because if one breaks down and needs parts you may be SOL. As you said the prices keep going up and the quality of available cameras for sale seems to be going down.

08-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GIEMME Quote
Hello friends,
I am happy owner fo a Pentax 67, recently overhauled.
but i'm in love with del 67ii. I don't know whwther to sell me the previous model wich is fine. I would not have any improvement from the image quality and the prices are increasing a lot.
What would you do?
Welcome to the forum!

I shoot with a 6x7 MLU, 67 and 67ii. As mentioned above the 67ii has some nice features over the 67/6x7, like matrix/spot/centre weighted metering, TTL flash & aperture priority and so on.

The other feature I really like is the user changeable focusing screens. You can swap the screens in seconds and use the appropriate one for the lens you are shooting with. I have five screens now and they really help with some lenses like the 100/4 macro or my long telephotos. (600/4 & 800/6.7) These screens are also hard to find and costly.

However the 67ii price is pretty high now, so it all depends on the type of shooting you are doing. Using the 67ii is way more "convenient" to use than the older 67 or 6x7, but that does not mean that those older bodies still can't take the same quality shots.

Phil.
08-31-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Two videos on YouTube which might be of interest:

Nicos says his 67II is hard to get repaired and his wind mech has broken twice so he's sticking with the 67's

And I just ramble on about the 67 and why I prefer it to the 67II

Hope that helps a bit.

I know I bought the 67 because I wanted a camera that was easier to get repaired in the future. The features of the 67 II are noce, but there is no increase in IQ, and I'm spot metering anyway, so what the hey.
08-31-2021, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can find a 67 II at a reasonable price, it is a better and more modern camera with better metering and more exposure options, but image quality will of course be the same with the same lenses. One big advantage of the P67 II is the ability to make double- or multi-exposures. There is a dedicated button for this. Then you can make all kinds of crazy stuff like these: