Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2021, 04:20 AM   #1

'New' yet used Super A.... nothing showing?

Hi,

Having used an ME Super solidly since the late 80's I recently bought a used Super A to compliment it from that certain auction website. Popped some new batteries into it, fired it up to Manual to start figuring it out and....... nothing. No internal nor external digits despite fresh batteries. Does the camera need film in it to display these items? As it stands there's no film in it yet. The photos of the camera on the 'bay show the top LCD screen working.... hmmmmm. Thank you.

09-04-2021, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this one ?

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax Super Program (called Pentax Super A in some markets) is a versatile A-series film SLR featuring support for P, Tv, Av, and M exposure modes. You control the shutter speed using the push buttons on the camera, and the aperture via the aperture ring. Both can be set to auto (given you have an A-series lens or newer), which then brings the camera into Program mode. With M and K lenses Av and M exposure modes are available.

The Super Program was first Pentax with Program and Tv auto exposure and it also had TTL flash control, but even with the added electronics and mechanics the camera body is just about as compact as the original Pentax ME.

Disregarding the Pentax LX which is in a class by itself, the Pentax Super Program is the top model among all Pentax manual focus cameras when it comes to features and specifications.
Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

[ follow that link for owners reviews ]

more reviews and information:

https://www.35mmc.com/03/07/2020/pentax-super-program-review-by-chris-colten/

https://cameracollector.net/pentax-super-program-super-a/#:~:text=Pentax%20S...more%20rows%20

https://pentax-manuals.com/literature/super_program_us.pdf

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_super_program/pentax_super_program.htm

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-04-2021 at 05:11 AM.
09-04-2021, 05:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ooooh, ta.

---------- Post added 09-04-21 at 05:44 AM ----------

Darn, think I've been sold a dud.
09-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThatDeafGuy Quote
Hi,

Having used an ME Super solidly since the late 80's I recently bought a used Super A to compliment it from that certain auction website. Popped some new batteries into it, fired it up to Manual to start figuring it out and....... nothing. No internal nor external digits despite fresh batteries. Does the camera need film in it to display these items? As it stands there's no film in it yet. The photos of the camera on the 'bay show the top LCD screen working.... hmmmmm. Thank you.
No it works without a film in it. If the electronics work and if there is a battery in the Super A I thought you must see a - on the right top side of the little lcd on top off the camera if it is off. I always excercised the settings without a film in it to get to learn the camera's behaviour. (No problem with a digital camera nowadays, you loose no expensive film)

09-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .Darn, think I've been sold a dud.
some one usually will ask about now :

are you sure the batteries are placed correctly

and do you have the right batteries

but " I won't . . . "

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-04-2021 at 08:15 AM.
09-04-2021, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Original Poster
Yes, I did check the batteries(!) Whilst in there I also cleaned the contact points with a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud and et voila..... it now works! *Does a little dance*

Now to figure the wee blighter out before using it properly.

What a palavar!
09-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I did check the batteries(!) Whilst in there I also cleaned the contact points with a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud and et voila..... it now works! *Does a little dance*

Now to figure the wee blighter out before using it properly.

What a palavar!
have fun

09-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #8

Clean the battery contacts and the inside of the button cover.
09-04-2021, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Clean the battery contacts and the inside of the button cover.
Yep, did it with a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton bud, worked a treat 👍🏻
09-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Good news. I really like the Super Program and Program Plus.
09-05-2021, 03:05 AM   #11

The Super Program was my first SLR purchase, based on it being chosen as the best SLR in a Consumer Reports review. I liked the camera so much, that it kept me from moving to autofocus for a very long time. Put an MEII winder on it, and you have an ergonomically seductive masterpiece!
09-05-2021, 04:54 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
The Super Program was my first SLR purchase, based on it being chosen as the best SLR in a Consumer Reports review. I liked the camera so much, that it kept me from moving to autofocus for a very long time. Put an MEII winder on it, and you have an ergonomically seductive masterpiece!
Mine was an ME Super, which I still use, they're built like tanks.
09-05-2021, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I also started out with an ME Super, and then switched to a Super Program to get the TTL flash metering and shutter priority automation. They served me well for many years.
10-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #14

Original Poster
* Sad face * ..... the two top buttons went kaput today, the first day of our holiday in the Dales! Thankfully I have my trusty ME Super with me too but still...... meh!

Fingers crossed that Newton Ellis can fix the Super A, if they can't then I reckon it's a case of saving a little and getting an LX to replace it with. * Sighs *
10-19-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is annoying, hope you can get it fixed.

The Super-A is a smashing camera, both in its functionality and it's looks.