Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #1

Memory card error

Dear forum,

I have a question as a newcomer with Pentax cameras. I bought a few weeks befor a nice used K-7 (works wonderful). I want to do something good for her and bought a nice memorycard (SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I, 64 GB). When I want to formatt it, my K-7 told me first: "card is not formattet" - than I go to "formatt" and she said: "Memory card error".
But the card is ok. I tested it out with a SONY XR10iii - no problem!
Can tell me anyone what´s the problem here? (an older SanDisk with 16 GB works without any problem).
Thank you for any help!

09-06-2021, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #2

You probably need to update the firmware. V1.11 which added SDXC compatibility.

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Updates are cumulative so you can just install the latest. You probably have to use a non-XC card for the update.

Check you firmware version by holding down the menu button while powering up the camera. Version display on the rear LCD.

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-06-2021 at 12:24 PM.
09-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Troll Quote
Dear forum,

I have a question as a newcomer with Pentax cameras. I bought a few weeks befor a nice used K-7 (works wonderful). I want to do something good for her and bought a nice memorycard (SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I, 64 GB). . . . Thank you for any help!
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

you may want to review this article:

QuoteQuote:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Become a memory card expert
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 1, 2016

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

and there is this:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax DSLR Firmware Update Guide
If you're looking to upgrade your firmware but don't know how to go about it, here's a video tutorial that we've just put together:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250893-pentax-d...ml#post2683654

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-06-2021 at 12:32 PM.
09-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K7 supports up-to 32 GB, even with the latest firmware (My wife owns a K7 and i know the "problem")

/edit

my mistake, i thought i had the latest firmware installed on her K7, but i didn't.

It does indeed support 64GB cards

Last edited by Sakura; 09-07-2021 at 12:30 PM.
09-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

In case you're already on the latest firmware, it's also possible that the lock tab on the card was inadvertently activated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I have had problems with memory cards after reading them using a card reader attached to a Mac and errors similar to the ones you got. The Mac writes all sorts of hidden files to the card as part of its file management and my guess is that is the source of the problem. On one occasion the only way for me to get a card to be usable again was to format it on a Windows machine, the camera refused to do it (I tried 3 Pentax cameras). After I did that all was back to normal. After that experience I always lock memory cards before putting them into the card reader. Have had no problems since I started doing that.
09-06-2021, 11:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a lot

Thank you very much for your answers. My softwareversion is 1.0 - it seems, that the previous owner never did an update. I will use the memory card for something else.
Good to know that there are so competent and helpful Forum members.
Thank you!

09-07-2021, 04:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
The K7 supports up-to 32 GB, even with the latest firmware (My wife owns a K7 and i know the "problem")
If that is true then there is something wrong with your K-7: I use 64gb cards in it. But it must have firmware 1.12 or newer!
09-07-2021, 04:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Dear forum,

I have a question as a newcomer with Pentax cameras. I bought a few weeks befor a nice used K-7 (works wonderful). I want to do something good for her and bought a nice memorycard (SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I, 64 GB). When I want to formatt it, my K-7 told me first: "card is not formattet" - than I go to "formatt" and she said: "Memory card error".
But the card is ok. I tested it out with a SONY XR10iii - no problem!
Can tell me anyone what´s the problem here? (an older SanDisk with 16 GB works without any problem).
Thank you for any help!
With firmware 1.12 or 1.13 you can use a 64GB card, but as stated on the page of the firmware updates it is not compatible with UHS class speed. Although I use a UHS-1 card in it.
09-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are correct, i hadn't installed the latest firmware on her K7 yet. (my mistake)
09-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using the card for something else in not the solution. Update the firmware which results in many glitches being removed and camera operating correctly.
Thank you very much for your answers. My softwareversion is 1.0 - it seems, that the previous owner never did an update. I will use the memory card for something else.
Good to know that there are so competent and helpful Forum members.
Thank you!
09-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #12
dlhawes

The cards are backwards-compatible. A 64Gb card in a device that only supports 32 will function as a 32Gb card. And a UHS-2 card will be just as fast as a UHS-1 card and no faster.

One question OP failed to answer, as far as I could see, and that is whether he attempted to format the card using the K7's menu options.