Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2021, 09:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
Multi-source addresses literally what it says, multiple sources being used. Like sunlight and incandescent, led and incand, etc.

I was referring to many commercial light sources that flicker imperceptibly through the spectrum. fluorescent is the worst but it can happen with leds also.
OK, that’s clear now. The main problem with fluorescents that I’ve encountered is with people replacing one colour temp with another in the same or adjacent fitting!

09-10-2021, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tim Diss Quote
The lens I use for this purpose with my K70 is a DA* 50-135.
OK then, you already use the DA*50-135 that I suggested... What are you missing with this lens? if you were to get a new lens, what would you want it to do that the DA* doesn't?
If the main goal is better AF speed, and you don't mind the slightly longer focal length, then yes the DFA*70-200 or DFA70-210 clearly seem like the logical upgrade. DA55-300PLM also has a very good reputation for fast AF, but it might be a bit limited indoor by its aperture value.
09-10-2021, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
Off topic but do not shoot with Auto color balance. Indoor lighting can wreck havoc with their color shifts.
Pentax K-3III is very good with this kind of light, also. I’v had fluorescent light mixed with the light coming from the window. No problem at all. Where my K-1 was actually struggling with similar settings. New chip is doing wonders(my K-1 is without accelerator chip).
09-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
OK then, you already use the DA*50-135 that I suggested... What are you missing with this lens? if you were to get a new lens, what would you want it to do that the DA* doesn't?
If the main goal is better AF speed, and you don't mind the slightly longer focal length, then yes the DFA*70-200 or DFA70-210 clearly seem like the logical upgrade. DA55-300PLM also has a very good reputation for fast AF, but it might be a bit limited indoor by its aperture value.
The main goal would be better AF speed. I do not know if the DA* 50-135 would be sufficient with the K-3 III and I would be delighted if it was! How do you imagine the K-3 III would compare with the K-70 with this lens in this context?

I also like to take pictures of wildlife, so the K-3 III also appeals for this.

09-10-2021, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Like most, my initial reaction to the question was the DFA* 70-200. Some contests are not even close.
09-10-2021, 06:25 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Like most, my initial reaction to the question was the DFA* 70-200. Some contests are not even close.
The only question I would have is whether 70mm is wide enough

How about a fast prime the FA 31mm Limited or FA 43mm Limited comes to mind
09-10-2021, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I do not know if the DA* 50-135 would be sufficient with the K-3 III and I would be delighted if it was! How do you imagine the K-3 III would compare with the K-70 with this lens in this context?
Can't really help there. I have not tested a K-3 III but reviewers sure are enthusiastic about the updated AF system. In your position, I would start by trying the 50-135 on the K-3 III to see if that matches your needs, maybe you would have the opprtunity to get your hands on one in a local shop?
If not statisfied, go for one of the DFA zooms

---------- Post added 10-09-21 at 15:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
How about a fast prime the FA 31mm Limited or FA 43mm Limited comes to mind
That can work for "general table shots" (31mm to 50mm, done before) but not for "player close-up shots". As said before, something between 70/77/85mm could do the trick but a prime is much less flexible...

09-10-2021, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Can't really help there. I have not tested a K-3 III but reviewers sure are enthusiastic about the updated AF system. In your position, I would start by trying the 50-135 on the K-3 III to see if that matches your needs, maybe you would have the opprtunity to get your hands on one in a local shop?
If not statisfied, go for one of the DFA zooms
plus 1+

Depending on how close you can get, even something like the 24-70 might work. If it were me I'd try my DA*55 first, but I wouldn't buy it for that purpose, although I have shot volleyball with a 50mm. Any older SDM lens is likely to be slow focusing, including your 50-135. But try it first. If what you have will do, buying something else is silly.
09-11-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main goal would be better AF speed. I do not know if the DA* 50-135 would be sufficient with the K-3 III and I would be delighted if it was! How do you imagine the K-3 III would compare with the K-70 with this lens in this context?

Since you know already what the DA* 50-135mm can do for you in terms of framing, and the AF speed is your main issue, the K-3 III is designed to be faster and more accurate for AF during burst shooting. But with these older SDM lenses, the question of improved AF speed remains an open one, since this AF technology might be the limiting factor. It has been reported that AF speed with these lenses is improved upon conversion to screw-driven AF. This is such a good lens, it is a shame that it has been neglected for an HD upgrade with at least a fast DC AF motor.

No doubt you've noticed AF from your DA 18-135mm WR DC is quicker than that of your DA* 50-135mm. I've found its AF to be reliably fast and sure (but with its aperture limitations it needs more light). I have both and that is my impression. As far as AF overall is concerned, the K-3 III has a moe advanced system over the K-70. My KP has in fact shown quicker and more sure AF even with screw-driven lenses compared to the same lenses on my K-S2 or my K-5 IIs.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-11-2021 at 02:26 PM.
09-11-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Since you know already what the DA* 50-135mm can do for you in terms of framing, and the AF speed is your main issue, the K-3 III is designed to be faster and more accurate for AF during burst shooting. But with these older SDM lenses, the question of improved AF speed remains an open one, since this AF technology might be the limiting factor. It has been reported that AF speed with these lenses is improved upon conversion to screw-driven AF. This is such a good lens, it is a shame that it has been neglected for an HD upgrade with at least a fast DC AF motor.

No doubt you've noticed AF from your DA 18-135mm WR DC is quicker than that of your DA* 50-135mm. I have both and that is my impression.
Some people (me included) have reported impressions of faster AF with the screw-drive converted SDM lenses, with the K-3iii. Without some properly-conducted measurement, considering both speed and hunting, they’ll remain just that. I concede that part of my impression may arise from self-justification for the additional expenditure on the new camera.

I imagine the 50-135 will have a makeover soon. The 16-50 had as many detractors for its alleged poor image quality as for the SDM failures, so no doubt the impetus to improve it all round gave it priority. I’ve never been unhappy with its optics, but as I converted mine to screw-drive, I’ve been very happy with its AF on the K-3iii. However, as I didn’t pay a new price for it, I’m having trouble justifying replacing it on the grounds of sheer value. Certainly, any optical improvement for the 50-135 won’t have as great a result as that for the 16-50.
09-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Some people (me included) have reported impressions of faster AF with the screw-drive converted SDM lenses, with the K-3iii. Without some properly-conducted measurement, considering both speed and hunting, they’ll remain just that. I concede that part of my impression may arise from self-justification for the additional expenditure on the new camera.

I imagine the 50-135 will have a makeover soon. The 16-50 had as many detractors for its alleged poor image quality as for the SDM failures, so no doubt the impetus to improve it all round gave it priority. I’ve never been unhappy with its optics, but as I converted mine to screw-drive, I’ve been very happy with its AF on the K-3iii. However, as I didn’t pay a new price for it, I’m having trouble justifying replacing it on the grounds of sheer value. Certainly, any optical improvement for the 50-135 won’t have as great a result as that for the 16-50.
Can someone explain what "conversion to screwdrive" means? If this is advantageous why are the lenses not in this configuration already?
Many thanks.
09-11-2021, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can someone explain what "conversion to screwdrive" means? If this is advantageous why are the lenses not in this configuration already?
Many thanks.
Well, sometimes the older SDM AF system fails altogether. When this happens, the choice with most of these older SDM lenses is to either have the SDM repaired (with the chance it could fail again) or to have it converted to the old alternative camera body screw-driven AF system, which is noisier. Not all of these older SDM lenses are candidates for this option. Some of the newer lenses having the "SDM" designation are actually of a different design which is not subject to this problem. Other newer AF lenses are either designed with DC motors, the newest PLM system, or still using the old reliable screw-driven technology, and that does not mean they are cheap. All of the Pentax elite "Limited" prime lens series are still made using the old screw-driven AF system. The only Limited lens that is a zoom lens, the DA 20-40mm Ltd, also features a quiet and very good DC AF motor as well as WR construction.

The screw-driven AF technology is a very old camera-body based system instead of the lens having its own AF motor, which came later. A good lens-based AF motor will provide quiet, less distracting but superior functionality, with greater possible AF speed and accuracy. Yet depending on the lens and camera model, many lenses designed with the now ancient camera body based screw-driven AF system are still capable of excellent AF speed and accuracy, albeit with some noise.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-11-2021 at 11:37 PM.
09-12-2021, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many thanks.
Mikesbike has explained the situation with older SDM failures more than adequately, so I’ll just add a further impression on the results of the screw-drive conversion, and that is that it doesn’t seem as noisy on the K-3iii as with previous bodies. I say “impression” because I haven’t measured the difference and it could just be that it’s faster and doesn’t hunt as much, or that I’m getting progressively deafer.
01-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #29
Forum Member

Has anybody tried HD Pentax-D FA 70-210mm F4 ED SDM WR on K-3 III shooting indoor sports (ideally basketball)
That's my scenario and I am trying to find the best lens ...

Last edited by Fila; 01-17-2022 at 02:45 PM.
01-18-2022, 02:39 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The main goal would be better AF speed.

I do not know if the DA* 50-135 would be sufficient with the K-3 III and I would be delighted if it was!

How do you imagine the K-3 III would compare with the K-70 with this lens in this context?

Then you should go for the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8.
It is the fastest focussing lens from Sigma for K-Mount and faster than any SDM lens from Pentax.

The DA* 50-135mm has an very slow AF motor.

The K-3 III has the most advanced AF system of all Pentax cameras, especially for moving objects.

Can someone explain what "conversion to screwdrive" means?

If this is advantageous why are the lenses not in this configuration already?
It means disabling the internal motor of the lens and switching the lens to screwdrive

How To: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive + Video - PentaxForums.com
11.5% Improvement: Screwdrive is faster than SDM - PentaxForums.com

will the K3 iii autofocus fast with screwdrive lenses - PentaxForums.com

SDM to Screwdrive Conversions - PentaxForums.com