Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

Rear Screen on my K50 not showing a proper picture

Hi Everyone, I'm not sure where to post this, I have a Pentax K50 had it a few years, decided to treat myself as my dad was into his SLR cameras and developing his own film, many years ago. So decided to buy the K50 Don't use it as much as I should, phone cameras are handy for e-mailing pictures, but don't seem as good as a proper SLR. I occasionally get this happen don't know if its a fault or a button I've pressed. The picture you take is in black and grey with certain parts highlighted in yellow. When I look at them on the computer they are very dark. Tried looking at the manual but don't know what i'm for looking.
I first thought the picture were taken in poor light but even outdoor shots are the same. I've tried the camera on fully automatic, but makes no difference.

If i was to describe the view its like an old film negative but with the yellow areas. Appreciate any advice! Hopefully its not a camera fault. I have tried a factory reset

I've hopefully attached a photo

Thanks

Nigel

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A105FN  Photo 
09-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flashing yellow is Pentax's "shadow alert" feature, which indicates that the corresponding areas are underexposed. You can turn it off in the menu if you prefer not to see it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pennpeel Quote
Hi I occasionally get this happen don't know if its a fault or a button I've pressed. The picture you take is in black and grey with certain parts highlighted in yellow. When I look at them on the computer they are very dark. Tried looking at the manual but don't know what i'm for looking.
I first thought the picture were taken in poor light but even outdoor shots are the same. I've tried the camera on fully automatic, but makes no difference.

If i was to describe the view its like an old film negative but with the yellow areas. Appreciate any advice! Hopefully its not a camera fault. I have tried a factory reset

I've hopefully attached a photo

Thanks

Nigel
I see an image of the rear screen. Can you also upload one of the images taken by the k-50 that looks this way on the screen?

What is camera set to and what lens is attached?
09-10-2021, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully its not a camera fault.
Please go into the camera menu #4 - Instant Review and uncheck the Bright/Dark area box and try again. This looks like that over exposed warning.

09-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

While the yellow is indicating dark areas as described and is itself not a problem, the fact that the camera is still producing such dark images when in auto mode outdoor suggests to me that the aperture block solenoid might be starting to fail. There are plenty of threads on here about this issue, so a quick search may help you find advice how to diagnose this.
09-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi sorry for the delay in replying. I've had to wait till I could get the camera to do it again. Right here goes the camera is a Pentax K-50 with a 52mm diameter lens 18-55mm standard to the camera. I took this picture in fully automatic mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo indicates a stuck solenoid, i.e. aperture-control problem.
Was/is very common with the K50/K30 and K500, with these it was almost a serial-failure.

1. Try the reset via menu: Wrench icon 3.rd tab of the setup menu, select the reset option.

2. If you then have still very dark (underexposed photos) then most likely a stuck solenoid!
Best way to find out:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com
(but for this no AUTO-Mode but AV)

If the solenoid is stuck, it can be repaired:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

10-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Many thanks

It does look like the camera is broken, carried out tests as suggested.

So i've e-mailed a camera repair shop local to me to get it fixed. Dont mind fixing cars ect but tiny cameras I don't think so.

So just a thanks to all that replied.

Always grateful
10-04-2021, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does look like the camera is broken, carried out tests as suggested.
So i've e-mailed a camera repair shop local to me to get it fixed.
It seems so that this is a good adress for repair:

Asahi Photo
They also are willing to built in the white Japan-Solenoid, the only real solution.

Another adress which shows up every time and then:
Camera Repairs and Lens Repairs in Shepperton TW17, Surrey.

But here I don't know if they are going to use the Japan solenoid.
That I would check out first.

Any "local camera-repair shop" I would first check out and really make them answer what and how they repair.
My experience is that you first have to teach them about all the details.
In most cases they don't like that at all.

I think for anybody living in the UK those two adresses seem to be some of the best.

Since Brexit I have found it very difficult with customs. I sent a turntable tonearm to be modified to a UK manufacturer. I was quite a nightmare for them to get it through customs not having to pay VAT! When they sent it back to me the German customs made difficulties and just sent it back to UK.
I couldn't believe it. Then it was sent via UPS but never arrived. UPS claimed they had delivered it. So this will end up at court. Not easy to be solved.

Last edited by photogem; 10-04-2021 at 01:02 AM.
10-04-2021, 01:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Asahi Photo
They also are willing to built in the white Japan-Solenoid, the only real solution.

Another adress which shows up every time and then:
Camera Repairs and Lens Repairs in Shepperton TW17, Surrey.
I have heard good things about Asahi Photo repair but never used them.

Alan in Shepperton has done a number of repairs/cleaning on my older lenses.

I would also suggest trying these two.