Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Monitor black

The monitor on my K3 III is black. I cannot view images nor can I view the menu or info. I can see everything when I turn it on live view. It's gotta be a setting but I'm at a loss. Help please!!

09-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's like the K-1, you have options in the info menu. Hitting the info button twice will bring up screen options and for the K-1, it's the third option to the right ("screen off"). If you hit info, your screen should not blank but allow you to see these options. You want the first option to the left and not the third which is probably the cause of your black screen. Not sure if it's the same for the K3 III.

Last edited by Bob 256; 09-12-2021 at 03:19 PM.
09-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
If it's like the K-1, you have options in the info menu. Hitting the info button twice will bring up screen options and for the K-1, it's the third option to the right ("screen off"). If you hit info, your screen should not blank but allow you to see these options. You want the first option to the left and not the third which is probably the cause of your black screen. Not sure if it's the same for the K3 III.
no luck with that, but thank you
09-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I thought even when the screen is off the menu would come on and light up.

09-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by just_life_photograph Quote
The monitor on my K3 III is black. I cannot view images nor can I view the menu or info. I can see everything when I turn it on live view. It's gotta be a setting but I'm at a loss. Help please!!
So from Live View you can enter the Menu system? If so, have you done a Reset?
09-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Just a quick thought, there is nothing covering the proximity sensor just under the OVF is there????
09-13-2021, 02:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My K-3iii has got the same problem, albeit intermittently.
It happens most days, but not every day, and not all day on any specific day!
There's even been days of several hundred exposures with no issue at all!
Over a period of time I've managed to replicate the problem with a different SD card, a different battery and with no lens mounted, so the fault is definitely in the camera.
I do have the latest firmware installed.
I've got a fault logged with Ricoh in the UK and am waiting for a response from the UK repair agent, who, allegedly, is waiting for a response from Ricoh!
Unless you find a solution to your specific issue, please log a fault with Ricoh. The more instances of this issue that are logged, the better chance we've got of a resolution.

09-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
yes, I did a reset.no luck.

---------- Post added 09-13-21 at 05:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Just a quick thought, there is nothing covering the proximity sensor just under the OVF is there????
don't think so but I need to translate and check..... 🤪
09-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
yes, no luck
09-13-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My K-3iii is definitely faulty this morning!
Here's another set of characteristics … with the "black screen" showing in "normal viewfinder" mode, press the WB or the Drive buttons on the four-way controller and the screen comes up as appropriate.
Press the Info button, stuff changes, press the Menu button the screen goes black again (as expected), press the Menu or Info buttons again … no response.
Still heard nothing from Ricoh … I'll drop them an update with these new findings.
09-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My K-3iii has got the same problem, albeit intermittently.
It happens most days, but not every day, and not all day on any specific day!
There's even been days of several hundred exposures with no issue at all!
Over a period of time I've managed to replicate the problem with a different SD card, a different battery and with no lens mounted, so the fault is definitely in the camera.
I do have the latest firmware installed.
I've got a fault logged with Ricoh in the UK and am waiting for a response from the UK repair agent, who, allegedly, is waiting for a response from Ricoh!
Unless you find a solution to your specific issue, please log a fault with Ricoh. The more instances of this issue that are logged, the better chance we've got of a resolution.
ok. Thanks for the info. I changed batteries today and it started working fine. I will contact Ricoh US. Thanks again
09-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

ok. Thanks for the info. I changed batteries today and it started working fine. I will contact Ricoh US. Thanks again
Please keep us updated, I'm getting no response other than an initial acknowledgement from Ricoh UK.
Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? In hindsight I don't think this problem happened to me before the latest update, but I can't be sure.
I tried to roll the firmware back, I've got the download files, but it wouldn't do a "backward update".
Pure guesswork … I imagine they're possibly waiting for a firmware update from Japan, but don't want to commit until it's available.
09-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Please keep us updated, I'm getting no response other than an initial acknowledgement from Ricoh UK.
Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? In hindsight I don't think this problem happened to me before the latest update, but I can't be sure.
I tried to roll the firmware back, I've got the download files, but it wouldn't do a "backward update".
Pure guesswork … I imagine they're possibly waiting for a firmware update from Japan, but don't want to commit until it's available.
no, I don't have the latest firmware.
09-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

no, I don't have the latest firmware.
OK, thanks … at least there's one thing we can eliminate
09-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster