Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-17-2021, 01:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by just_life_photograph Quote
I was thinking of doing so but now I think I'll wait for the next one

I've found some more symptoms … if when in the "blank screen" fault mode the camera is variously tilted up and down, sided to side, twisted about etc., whilst using the neck strap for security , occasionally the rear screen will "light up" and be useable, if only for a short period!
It's as though there may be something "loose and flopping about" and making intermittent contact.
I'm familiar enough with modern electronic circuitry to be aware that a traditional "loose connection" is very unlikely, but maybe it's a rotational sensor issue (as used for the electronic levels).
If I can get into the menus for long enough to change things, I'll disable anything I can find that may be relevant and try from there.
I've forwarded these new findings to Ricoh UK, but I've yet to hear anything constructive from them.

09-21-2021, 02:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Still no reply from Ricoh … but since I disabled the Eye Sensor in menu C4 a few days ago, the "blank screen" symptoms haven't re-occurred.
Early days, but here's hoping
It's not a feature I was aware was activated, let alone that I actively used, so I won't miss it!
09-28-2021, 01:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Never did hear back from Ricoh UK, but there's a new firmware v1.20 available Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING which may help.
09-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Never did hear back from Ricoh UK, but there's a new firmware v1.20 available Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING which may help.
You go first �� let me know how it goes!

09-28-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by just_life_photograph Quote
You go first �� let me know how it goes!
Always good for a laugh
The firmware update installed no problem.
Now … I've got a set of circumstances where the "fault" is replicable. I'd not bothered to fiddle with the various options before, once I got it working as I wanted it I left things alone
In the 'Eye Sensor' setting of menu C4, if Detection Sensitivity is set to anything other than Low, the fault occurs if 'Link Monitor Display' is set on. The 'AE with Eye Sensor' doesn't seem to cause a problem.
By switching into and out of LiveView I'm able to access the menus to change stuff, so that's less of an issue than it first appeared. I'm so unused to using LiveView the concept hadn't occurred to me before!
I'm going to continue with everything set Off, 'cos then it's working just like my other bodies and I'm used to using the Info button to activate/deactivate the rear screen.
09-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to hear you have found the fault and have found a workaround.
09-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a feeling it was something to do with that eye sensor, will look at mine to see what it is set at. Good to hear you got it going.

10-29-2021, 03:41 AM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Kypfer for working that out, I was worried that I broke it in the drizzle yesterday.

Last edited by BAKrueger; 10-29-2021 at 04:18 AM.
10-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BAKrueger Quote
Thank you Kypfer for working that out, I was worried that I broke it in the drizzle yesterday.
Pleased to have been of help
Looks like there might be an issue with some (very few) cameras.
I ended up playing "e-mail ping-pong" between Ricoh UK and their appointed service agent. The first said I needed to speak with the second, the second claimed to be awaiting direction from the first!
I've kept the feature disabled and not had to manage without my camera for however long it would have taken to get the problem fixed