Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 02:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Banned

Post your photos category - help file, through my mistakes.

Since we all post here constantly, I got to thinking about it.
I wondered if everyone see's what I see when I post a photo here.The answer to that, of course, is , No.
I started thinking about monitor calibration. And then it occurred to me that even if I calibrate my monitor , even if it's 100% perfect, there are folks here who do not calibrate
and the image will still look different on their end.

I shoot in RAW only. I use Adobe RGB color space because this color space Dwarfs, sRGB'S gamut.
It's also better for printing to some degree, ( not that much better) Really and truly , for what you give up on forums and computer monitors, Adobe RGB is Not the way to go.
sRGB is far and away, superior.

Since I got my new camera, I put it in Adobe RGB color space because I had intended to make a print or two. Then I forgot about it. Never thought about it again.
Until one day ( yesterday) I was like, wait a minute!
All this time - Adobe RGB. I kept wondering why the images didn't look right. Which caused over processing, and image degradation.

I discovered all of this while trying to calibrate my monitor with a tool called, Calibrize, which can be downloaded free and is virus free.
This program sets up a windows color management profile inside of windows. Once it's set, you better be computer literate to get rid of it.
So I uninstalled the program.............and what happens next? The color profile that it generated remains stuck in windows. And believe me , it did not look good because instead of hitting back and cancel, I clicked, next. Which turned the monitor blue.

It generated the color profile, stuck it into windows, with no option to revert.

This caused some degree of panic as you might imagine. But, I've been working with computers since I was a kid. And yes, in the field at Nuclear facilities, environmental Labs and whatnot.
It wasn't too terribly hard for me to rectify, but lots of people will have difficulties. So the warning is, do not use this tool.

Once corrected, I decided to do it the right way. That is, to let the computers graphics processing unit ( GPU) handle the color profile of the monitor. Then adjust that profile in the GPU management properties, since it's handling everything anyway. This completely annihilates whatever color profiles windows was using and puts it in the hands of a processing unit that displays what you see on your monitor. It makes sense to do it this way.

This can , of course, be changed easily within the GPU color management page with a click of a button to send it back to Windows color management , if one would prefer to let windows handle color management.
I have found that calibrating the monitor using color slides, bars and graphs, is superior, if done through the GPU. ( Graphics processing unit). Without use of any downloadable tool such as Calibrize.

So now my monitor is calibrated, sort of, without buying a 300.00 kit from B&H, that probably will Not be very much better, if at all.
The Camera setting is back to sRGB which is where it should have been, if I hadn't forgotten what I did in the settings over a year ago and never noticed it in processing because, basically, I'm dumb.....and made a stupid mistake.

Looking at things from this perspective, it should be a great improvement, moving forward. Hopefully.
I posted this here, because if it helps one person to learn something through my mistakes, then it serves its purpose.

Hope you are all well.
LS

Last edited by LightSpeed; 09-15-2021 at 02:58 PM.
09-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure this will help some on the forum
09-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting.
So, in a "nutshell", how would you recommend calibrating "your" monitor and use the proper colour gamut?
09-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've moved the thread as it's not a PYP image, although it does, of course, relate to it. I've also removed the NSFW tag.
It may be better in the Post Processing section? Not sure.

09-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

A calibrated monitor is helpful, but probably the most important thing to remember when publishing to the Web is to make sure the color space is sRGB.

Steve
09-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've moved the thread as it's not a PYP image, although it does, of course, relate to it. I've also removed the NSFW tag.
It may be better in the Post Processing section? Not sure.
Probably both. You just know someone is gonna make this mistake.
It effects everything from computers, monitors, the world wide web, post processing, and the way the camera captures the image.
I made a huge stupid mistake. Epic.

---------- Post added 09-15-21 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Interesting.
So, in a "nutshell", how would you recommend calibrating "your" monitor and use the proper colour gamut?
I would think that the most color accurate way would probably be to buy the kit from B&H.
That's not what I did. I just used scales found on the web.
I have since made one color profile for Windows and one on the GPU.
They are close in calibration to one another.

The way to go is for me to buy an OLED monitor. And those are super expensive.
I already have a 62 inch Sony Bravia 4k, OLED and is is spectacular. It would be rather hard to look at while sitting in front of a computer.
If I did that I would upgrade the GPU and the computers Pentium processor. Well maybe just the GPu . I have plenty of memory and processing power.
I build my own computers with the best stuff that I can get.
09-15-2021, 11:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
I shoot in RAW only. I use Adobe RGB color space because this color space Dwarfs, sRGB'S gamut
Just to clarify..... The Adobe RGB/sRGB setting in the camera has no affect on RAW files (except the preview image). With RAW files you set the colour space during conversion. For printing there can be advantages in using AdobeRGB space as long as you are using a high end printer, or if you send your files away, your lab will accept AdobeRGB files.

But if you are going to work and produce files in AdobeRGB colour space for printing you need to be using a wide gamut monitor.

The only way to accurately calibrate your screen is to use a hardware "puck" together with software. Most screens today are pretty accurate right out of the box and calibration is not required as often as it used to be.

Last edited by pschlute; 09-16-2021 at 12:36 AM.