Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Xtra flash not working properly

So I have two Pentax Xtra flashes that are basically in new condition. They fire when pressing the test button however they don't recognize the master flash going off. Also when it works properly I believe there's an orange light that's supposed to light up in the front but that's not happening here. Anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

09-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any master flash using P-TTL will trigger simple slave flashes like the Xtras too early. What master flash are you using?
09-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Been using multiple flashes including in manual mode but even if they were to trigger it early it would at least trigger. I'm watching the Xtra while I'm firing the flash and it doesn't go off at all

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Any master flash using P-TTL will trigger simple slave flashes like the Xtras too early. What master flash are you using?
09-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So! We need more information on the flashes that you are using and the camera involved. Names of flashes, settings currently set on the flashes, camera used, mode on camera.

That would help us sort out what is possibly going on.

Regards

Chris

09-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
So! We need more information on the flashes that you are using and the camera involved. Names of flashes, settings currently set on the flashes, camera used, mode on camera.

That would help us sort out what is possibly going on.

Regards

Chris
Agreed. I am unaware of any Pentax flash model called "Xtra" and am also unfamiliar with a line of flash that goes by that name.

Fast forward ten minutes: I found a reference from 2007 on the Pentax User Web forum to an inexpensive low-power slave units sold by SRS under the name "Xtra". Searching further led to references and photos of a Pentax-branded unit called "Xtraflash" and finally, I found an old "sold" item listing on the marketplace here on Pentax Forums.

Rare Pentax Xtra Flash (x2) - PentaxForums.com

Forum user @shaolen was the seller and also the OP for this thread. I guess that makes them the resident expert on these units.

Advice given at Pentax User may be helpful:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/pentax-xtra-flash-5077

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-21-2021 at 10:36 PM.
09-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I've had a few of these flashes and most of them worked well. I wound up selling all but two but now that I dug out the two to use for product photography they aren't working properly. There are not settings of any kind they're simply just a slave flash. There's only an on/off switch and a manual test button.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed. I am unaware of any Pentax flash model called "Xtra" and am also unfamiliar with a line of flash that goes by that name.

Fast forward ten minutes: I found a reference from 2007 on the Pentax User Web forum to an inexpensive low-power slave units sold by SRS under the name "Xtra". Searching further led to references and photos of a Pentax-branded unit called "Xtraflash" and finally, I found an old "sold" item listing on the marketplace here on Pentax Forums.

Rare Pentax Xtra Flash (x2) - PentaxForums.com

Forum user @shaolen was the seller and also the OP for this thread. I guess that makes them the resident expert on these units.

Advice given at Pentax User may be helpful:

Pentax Xtra Flash

Steve