Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2021, 04:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax AF 360 FGZ manual mode problem on K50

Hello everyone...
I have just bought a Pentax AF 360 FGZ flash to use on my K50,but when I use it on camera , it goes back to TTL mode when I want to use it in manual mode. I switch to manual mode but then it shifts to TTL. That flash is kind of old system. And K50 is new.might that be the reason? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Redmi Note 8 Pro cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

09-25-2021, 05:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Your flashgun and camera should be perfectly compatible … the flash is listed in the camera manual, see p245 for limitations … maybe the lens you are using is not suitable?
09-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Will the flash work in manual mode on another Pentax? What mode is the k-50 set to?
09-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Your flashgun and camera should be perfectly compatible … the flash is listed in the camera manual, see p245 for limitations … maybe the lens you are using is not suitable?
I use DA 55mm f:1.4 sdm lens. I will try it with another lens and on a different mode.

09-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Make sure the power switch is all the way to the right. If it is not it is in wireless mode. I do not believe you can use it as a master or controller in manual. In wireless you can use ratios between flashes and dial the ev for some control.
If it is like mine and a jiggle turns it off and on it always resets to pttl.This reset is annoying as I like to set things up in advance then return at a later time only to find I have to reset everything.
09-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
I did everything but nothing changes. it goes back to ttl. I have cactus v6 ii. I will try it wireless. how can I use it with cactus?
09-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I believe catus uses pttl to control from the transciever.
I just noticed a way to check ift he power really is at the second stop or still engaged in the middle(control)stop. below the focal number will be a 1/1 which changes the ratio of the two flashes, it only appears at the middle stop. If you can feel the distinct clicks of the switch but that 1/1 doesn't disappear it is probably the switch.

I use mine on the older k100d and the newer ks-2. My models don't allow the camera to control the 360 or 560 remotely but I believe the k50 has this ability. Perhaps it needs to be turned off in camera?

09-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by happyprince Quote
Hello everyone...
I have just bought a Pentax AF 360 FGZ flash to use on my K50,but when I use it on camera , it goes back to TTL mode when I want to use it in manual mode. I switch to manual mode but then it shifts to TTL. That flash is kind of old system. And K50 is new.might that be the reason? Thanks in advance for your answers.

This is normal behaviour of the flash. You can only use manual flash if the camera is set to M exposure mode. You can find this on page 57 of the manual. (Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING) and choose your flash.
09-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
This is normal behaviour of the flash. You can only use manual flash if the camera is set to M exposure mode. You can find this on page 57 of the manual. (Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING) and choose your flash.
That really helps me a lot. Thank you so much.

09-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I found out why when I tried it "worked". If you wait about 10 seconds after you turn both camera and flash on you can toggle to manual in any mode. The catch it as soon as you half press the shutter it changes to pttl then changes back to what you set. It also "works". if you didn't have the flash connected properly.

This is kind of neat because you can set a manual level to use in M and switch to another mode for pttl. If you are doing portraits you can have what you want and then switch to run around a room where things are changing in light and distance.
09-25-2021, 11:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thats really interesting. I have really learnt a lot. Thank you so much friend.