Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The OP started by referring to vintage film cameras.
he started, yes:
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I was reading about vintage film cameras, and the author described ones with "Program" mode did everything for a beginner.
The meaning of the word "Auto" has changed radically and has been used for all sorts of things since it was first used in the camera context. Originally (with Pentax at least) it meant that the lens aperture automaticaly stopped down for the photo after you had used it fully open for composing and focussing. I still have some 6x7 lenses with Manual-Auto levers on them. and it is meaningful even when those lenses are used on a 6x7 without the metering head.
Nevertheless, his question was:
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Beginner question:
What's the (major?) difference(s) between Program made and Auto mode, on a DSLR?
So it is about the difference of Program-mode and Auto-mode on a DSLR.

10-06-2021, 05:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Nevertheless, his question was: .... So it is about the difference of Program-mode and Auto-mode on a DSLR.
I was aware of all that and I was not attempting to answer the OP's question, but making the point that terminology has changed over the years.
10-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was aware of all that and I was not attempting to answer the OP's question, but making the point that terminology has changed over the years.
Well, the concept of planet earth has changed as well, some years ago some believed it would be flat and stars hang on sky.
You'd be in serious danger if you questioned that view.
10-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the concept of planet earth has changed as well, some years ago some believed it would be flat and stars hang on sky.
You'd be in serious danger if you questioned that view.

These days such views even come back into fashion.