Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As does mine.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My IR remote works in bulb mode 2 on my k3 correctly. I just verified it.
Thanks, guys - saves me some work!

10-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
My remote is a cheap generic one off of eBay that only has one button - no lock button....

As another user suggested here, I will try it without a remote...
Put the camera in the bulb mode that is type 2 or mode 2. Press your remote one time. Then when you want to stop it press again.
10-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
On the K-S2, you want menu C2, option 7 - "Bulb (B) Mode Options" (same as on my K-3). Select that, and you should get a couple of options - I think they're called "Type1" and "Type2". The second one is the one you want
Thanks so much for this informatin (it is C1 though, but no big deal, smiles)....

I will give this a try tonight. How long do you guys/gals suggest to do this - from one button press to the next - ?

Also, I may give the other methods a try also. I see some options are that, perhaps, the camera only takes a pic if there is a movement (or brightness change) in the sky - ? And I read where there are another option or 2 more.... I think it falls under "interval" somehow....

Any comments on these, please do tell....

Regards,

Michael
10-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #19
Closed Account

Original Poster
Linked below is the IR (remote) I use - is one I purchased over a decade ago & have used it with several Pentax bodies, including my current Pentax k-s2. Only one button. Also, the CR2025 battery that was in it and died is electrically compatible with the new C2032 that I popped in it (read this on the net). Only difference is, one is thicker than the other - in which case its suggested a folded piece of aluminum foil can make the skinnier one work (I suspect buying a replacement remote would cost less than the battery)... Not that this is OEM, but I've been very pleased with Pentax continued compatibility with their older (to newer) bodies when it comes to accessories like remotes, lithium batteries for their bodies, etc...

For Pentax Wireless IR Remote Control K-M K-X K-7 K200D K20D K100D | eBay

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-02-2021 at 12:56 PM.
10-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #20
Closed Account

Original Poster
ok guys/gals....

Ima try to capture some star trails tonight - for about an hour or so of shutter being open, using the smc Asahi Pentax M-50mm macro f4....

Any tips please. Like, what F stop and what ISO. I suspect ISO 100? And any other tips....
10-03-2021, 04:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will depend on how dark your skies are. Being somewhere dark and without light pollution will simplify processing particularly but also capture. F stop 4 to 8 and ISO 400 to 800. I recommend erring on the under exposure side to retain colours in the stars. If you are taking multiple exposures and stacking, keep the gap between exposures short as possible. Remember that light pollution will keep adding light to the image while the shutter is open while the stars are moving so the exposure of the stars is only dependent on aperture and ISO (signal amplification).

Many of the Pentax cameras will composite in camera - use lighten mode but this runs the risk of satellites and planes stuffing up the final image. Stacking means you can clean up any affected images before stacking. Starstax, Sequator or Startrails is free software that does a good job.