Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-1 II Memory Card Issues

I've just recently started using the Pentax K-1 II, I'm running two Sony 64GB Tough SF-G memory cards in it.
The cards are totally clean, unaffected by the recall, have been formatted multiple times by the camera itself, and have never interacted with a Mac.

The camera will intermittently throw "Memory Card Error" after the cards have been removed from the camera, the photos imported into Lightroom, and the card "ejected" from the PC and returned to the camera.
It is not one particular card that does it, sometimes it's the first card, sometimes it's the second card.
Once I stopped removing the cards from the camera and started using a USB cable to import, the issue has gone away, but I don't like this as a solution as I don't really trust the rubber hinge covering the USB port to hold up to constant use over a few years.

Does anyone know what exactly causes this behavior?

It seems like a step backwards to switch over to the old SanDisk cards that are widely recommended here, and I doubt SanDisk cards are even any better or more reliable than modern Sony ones anyway.

10-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There can be so many things to go wrong. I did have some Lexar cards a few years ago that always corrupted the first or second images so I quit using them, obviously not the same card as yours, but Sandisks have never given me problems, except once when in a hurry I put a new card in my camera and forgot to format it. I always prefer using the cable to transfer my photos to the computer, I figure that is less physical wear and tear on the card and slot in the camera, I have had no problem with the port covers. I really think either way is fine. But I do believe it is a best practice to format the card in camera after each time you transfer images out, or anytime that the card has been removed. I suspect that you have got the memory card errors after the card has been used in your card reader, but not formatted when returned to the camera.
10-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

How did you eject the cards from the computer?
10-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
How did you eject the cards from the computer?
I have Lightroom set to auto-eject after importing images, but it behaves that way regardless of whether the card is in a reader or the camera is connected by cable.

10-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Irematic Quote
I've just recently started using the Pentax K-1 II, I'm running two Sony 64GB Tough SF-G memory cards in it.
The cards are totally clean, unaffected by the recall, have been formatted multiple times by the camera itself, and have never interacted with a Mac.

The camera will intermittently throw "Memory Card Error" after the cards have been removed from the camera, the photos imported into Lightroom, and the card "ejected" from the PC and returned to the camera.
It is not one particular card that does it, sometimes it's the first card, sometimes it's the second card.
Once I stopped removing the cards from the camera and started using a USB cable to import, the issue has gone away, but I don't like this as a solution as I don't really trust the rubber hinge covering the USB port to hold up to constant use over a few years.

It seems like a step backwards to switch over to the old SanDisk cards that are widely recommended here, and I doubt SanDisk cards are even any better or more reliable than modern Sony ones anyway.
This issue happens to me when the computer, or another camera, messes up the files in the card in subtle ways. For instance, upon changing "allocation size" in Windows, it threw these errors. Steps you can try are (for windows 10):

1. Boot up windows, change allocation size on both cards to default, reset all other settings to their defaults, and reformat.

2. Place the card in slot 2 and re-format again. Slot 2 is (surprisingly) able to format cards and make them perfectly usable and stable that Slot 1 refuses to read saying its corrupted. Maybe some bug in Pentax's UHS-I implementation, not sure.

3. Never delete images from the computer, or remove it without using "safely eject". If you are doing either of these, re-format the cards in slot 2 (preferrably) or slot 1 (if you are lazy) to reset them to defaults.
10-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have Lightroom set to auto-eject after importing images, but it behaves that way regardless of whether the card is in a reader or the camera is connected by cable.
If you use a windows computer the best (safest) way is to eject the card manually by using the tray icon for that. If you let Windows eject the card, all writing and reading is stopped before the card is ejected. Chance is that Lightroom ejects the card while Windows Explorer is still writing to or reading from the card and then your card might get corrupted. Try this and see if the problem is solved.
10-07-2021, 02:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious about your comment about interacting with a MAC. I have used them for years with Sony cards and never had a problem in the K-1 is there something I need to know I am about to purchases a K-1 mark ii ??

10-07-2021, 05:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Correct me if I am wrong, but surely, with write-protect set on the card, the PC or Mac cannot write data to it ? This said, I always set WP on the card and eject via Windows, and so far no issues after some 8 years and various cards and cameras. However, I only use each card once, replacing it with a new camera-formatted card when it is nearly full - 35mm negatives were never re-used, why should digital be any different ?
10-07-2021, 05:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
I'm curious about your comment about interacting with a MAC. I have used them for years with Sony cards and never had a problem in the K-1 is there something I need to know I am about to purchases a K-1 mark ii ??
Memory module in both K1 and K1 ii seem identical to me because the write performance is abyssmal on both. However, I really dont think these issues are global. Like I said, i faced them once but since an in camera format in sd 2, I haven’t had issues at all. I only take care to format in camera, and really plugging it mid transfer also has given me zero problems.

---------- Post added 10-07-21 at 05:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but surely, with write-protect set on the card, the PC or Mac cannot write data to it ? This said, I always set WP on the card and eject via Windows, and so far no issues after some 8 years and various cards and cameras. However, I only use each card once, replacing it with a new camera-formatted card when it is nearly full - 35mm negatives were never re-used, why should digital be any different ?
WP is a great tip. I’ll use that.