Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry - my first post demonstrates that a Darktable plugin to Gimp processed raw, downsized and exported as jpg retains it's exif.
The second post demonstrates that a Raw direct processed in Darktable and exported from there as a tiff loses it's exif.
So what is the overall process you do so we can replicate it on our setup?.

10-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #17
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Sorry - my first post demonstrates that a Darktable plugin to Gimp processed raw, downsized and exported as jpg retains it's exif.
The second post demonstrates that a Raw direct processed in Darktable and exported from there as a tiff loses it's exif.
So what is the overall process you do so we can replicate it on our setup?.
One of these solutions will work for you (it is dependent on what is currently present in a certain field in your cameras EXIF data, which is set up by who manufactured your Pentax camera).

1) Install the current stable Gimp version via flatpak. (GIMP - Downloads). Or install the beta/development version ( GIMP - Development*Downloads). This will likely fix it regardless of who made the camera.

or

2) Uninstall your current version of Gimp (either via removing it in the Ubuntu software center or Synaptic package manager). Then, install the previous Gimp version 2.10.18 using the Synaptic package manager (it's the current version in Synaptic). This will likely fix the problem if your camera is made by Ricoh and has Ricoh in that certain exif field).

Now, saving using the "export as" option will save the EXIF data in the jpg file...

Addendum: There is also the flatpak website (www.flatpak.org to install flatpak), or if you have flatpak installed then go to https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gimp.GIMP to install Gimp 2.10.28

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-08-2021 at 03:00 PM.
10-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
One of these solutions will work for you (it is dependent on what is currently present in a certain field in your cameras EXIF data, which is set up by who manufactured your Pentax camera).

1) Install the current stable Gimp version via flatpak. (GIMP - Downloads). Or install the beta/development version ( GIMP - Development*Downloads). This will likely fix it regardless of who made the camera.

or

2) Uninstall your current version of Gimp (either via removing it in the Ubuntu software center or Synaptic package manager). Then, install the previous Gimp version 2.10.18 using the Synaptic package manager (it's the current version in Synaptic). This will likely fix the problem if your camera is made by Ricoh and has Ricoh in that certain exif field).

Now, saving using the "export as" option will save the EXIF data in the jpg file...

Addendum: There is also the flatpak website (www.flatpak.org to install flatpak), or if you have flatpak installed then go to https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gimp.GIMP to install Gimp 2.10.28
Naa naa I have no problem with my set up - I was just trying to replicate your issue. I have had a problem in the past with Gimp 2.8 and tiffs and exif data. But if you won't say what your workflow is we can't replicate what you did.
10-09-2021, 11:18 PM   #19
Closed Account

Original Poster
Naa naa I have no problem with my set up - I was just trying to replicate your issue. I have had a problem in the past with Gimp 2.8 and tiffs and exif data. But if you won't say what your workflow is we can't replicate what you did.
We are having a breakdown in communication. I thought you were asking me what process can be taken to replicate fixing the problem. So I answered by how to fix the problem of losing EXIF data while exporting files using Gimp.

If you are asking me what my workflow is. My workflow is simple when I post process a photo. I only use Gimp and I do very basic post processing - many times I only adjust the levels (or do an auto-levels). Many times I simply overwrite the original file. Other times I "export as" the photo. I don't work with Raw files and I don't use Darktable. I only work with jpg files.

What issue of mine are you trying to replicate? The issue where the EXIF data is stripped?

Perhaps you and I should private message each other, instead of cluttering up the forum by continuing to bump this thread....

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-09-2021 at 11:23 PM.
10-10-2021, 12:36 AM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fair enough Michael I will PM your message but remember this is a thread for everyone and two others are having a similar problem with 2.10.18.
The name of this thread is specific enough to get a Google hit with others out there with issues and I feel that is one of the great things about PF - it is turning into a credible resource. So closure here is a good thing.
So question for Biz-engineer and Mossy Rocks. Did ticking the relevant boxes in edits/preferences solve things?
10-10-2021, 03:44 AM   #21
Closed Account

Original Poster
Fair enough Michael I will PM your message but remember this is a thread for everyone and two others are having a similar problem with 2.10.18.
The name of this thread is specific enough to get a Google hit with others out there with issues and I feel that is one of the great things about PF - it is turning into a credible resource. So closure here is a good thing.
So question for Biz-engineer and Mossy Rocks. Did ticking the relevant boxes in edits/preferences solve things?
The appropriate relevant boxes to retain EXIF was always ticked in my edits/preferences of all the versions of Gimp I've used...

But back to the fix, what I typed earlier, and I'll paste it below again, should solve anyones problem with not retaining EXIF info upon exporting the files...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

or

10-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only confirm that removing Linux Mint 20.2 (x64) default Gimp 2.10.18 and installing Gimp 2.10.28 via Flatpak has solved the problem with removing EXIF data while exporting to JPEG. (Pentax K7 with latest firmware 1.13.)

01-03-2023, 11:51 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Solution for keeping ALL EXIF DATA when GIMP 2.10

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I know this isn't the best forum to post this, but I posted it at linuxquestions.org and also at a Gimp forum. Thought I'd post it here too and see if I get any bites.

Gimp EXIF data lost when exportingAfter I do some basic processing, then export (and the box is checked to keep the exif data), the exif data is lost in the resulting created file.

?

I'm using Gimp 2.10.24 a Pentax k-s2 camera

p.s. The exif data is retained if I overwrite. It's just when exporting that it is lost... I can't do a "save as" because the resulting file is not jpg (it's .xcf)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Places I've posted this:

Gimp EXIF data lost when exporting

& reply/posted last post to this thread:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/7308

Gimp EXIF data lost when exporting

----------------------------------------

Hello Pentax Users here!
I am new at this forum and my interest to register was the problem when loosing Exif Data when using GIMP and almost does not matter what version.

So, i tested a lot with different Pentax Cameras, and i found a solution for the "EXIF DATA STIPE" when exporting. You all probably found out that when exporting to JPG format the EXIF DATA is included but if you are using TIF, and it doesn´t play a role if 8 Bit or 16 BIT, all EXIF DATA is lost after pressing export Button - and is lost in the exported file. But is still there, if you did not close the GIMP Editor and you can show Metadata as before.

Now, the point is, something must be different in the TIF Format we are using. Maybe not full compatible.

Courious that exported TIF Files have no preview image in Windows Explorer or XnView. Not even this wants to make a view when Using F11...

So I tested different options until i found out, we must have a look on GIMP´s export Window. The problem we have is based on the TIF Format. See the picture below. And my red arrow shows what you MUST disable to keep your Exif DATA into your new saved TIF File.

I am from Germany - excuse my simple language here. Using older Pentax cameras since 1980, still good with ME super, Super A, K100D super, K200D , K5 twice. And always was fed up when loosing Exif´s.

Now, after disabling BigFormat (TIF) i have a previe image in Windows Explorer, also in XnView, can see my Exif´s if i need or want and hope that you all can have this .

Try out the easy way in export window and i really hope that it works also with your GIMP version. I use 2.10.32 / 64 bit.

Regards,
Karl
Attached Images