Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Closed Account

Gimp and EXIF data

I know this isn't the best forum to post this, but I posted it at linuxquestions.org and also at a Gimp forum. Thought I'd post it here too and see if I get any bites.

Gimp EXIF data lost when exportingAfter I do some basic processing, then export (and the box is checked to keep the exif data), the exif data is lost in the resulting created file.

?

I'm using Gimp 2.10.24 a Pentax k-s2 camera

p.s. The exif data is retained if I overwrite. It's just when exporting that it is lost... I can't do a "save as" because the resulting file is not jpg (it's .xcf)

Regards,

Michael

Places I've posted this:

Gimp EXIF data lost when exporting

& reply/posted last post to this thread:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/7308

Gimp EXIF data lost when exporting

10-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Can't help with the direct question … I know older versions of Photoshop lose the EXIF as well.
What I do, if I feel the need, is use EXIFtool to copy the EXIF from the original file and insert it into the new file … not ideal, I know, but a solution nevertheless
10-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
Well, I received a message, from the Gimp board, to update my version of Gimp. Problem is neither the Ubuntu software center nor the Synaptic package manager have the version that they suggest to update to - not available yet in the libraries as the latest stable Gimp version was just released. I'm currently researching how to force my Linux box to update to the latest Gimp version or find out when the current stable version will be placed in the library/depository, if I can't figure that out, I might use flatpak and install the beta version (which is like Gimp 2.10.99) ....

The reply message is the last message at: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/7308

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-07-2021 at 04:49 PM.
10-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm running Gimp 2.10.18 on Linux Mint. Under the "Edit/preferences" menu, under "import and export", make sure you check all the boxes relevant to retaining exif data.

10-07-2021, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I'm using Gimp 2.10.2 installed with flatpak on Ubuntu. It works great. If I import an image from Rawtherapee and export that same image as a jpeg, the exif data is exported to the jpeg. However, if I copy a portion of the imported image and paste it as a new image, the exif data is not copied. Consequently, when I export the new image as a jpeg there will be no exif data. In that case, I use exiftool as kypfer mentioned above.
10-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I'm running Gimp 2.10.18 on Linux Mint. Under the "Edit/preferences" menu, under "import and export", make sure you check all the boxes relevant to retaining exif data.
I believe back when I was running 2.10.18, I was experiencing the problem with my old camera, the Pentax k-r, where EXIF data wasn't being retained with "Pentax" camera bodies (not Ricoh made ones), as is similar to this thread: https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/20941-pentax-exif-data-stripped or this thread https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/6316

Now that I have a Ricoh/Pentax camera body (the k-s2), probably I could go back to 2.10.18 and everything would work fine - might give that a try.... There is the chance though, that one of the Ubuntu updates, if I don't keep paying attention, will update over top of 2.10.18 with the current stable version in the repository

Also, I could install the lastest stable version of Gimp with flatpak, which is suppose to have the fix... The Ubuntu repository, however, should have the latest version of stable Gimp in it soon though....

Tahnks

---------- Post added 10-07-21 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DougieD Quote
I'm using Gimp 2.10.2 installed with flatpak on Ubuntu. It works great. If I import an image from Rawtherapee and export that same image as a jpeg, the exif data is exported to the jpeg. However, if I copy a portion of the imported image and paste it as a new image, the exif data is not copied. Consequently, when I export the new image as a jpeg there will be no exif data. In that case, I use exiftool as kypfer mentioned above.
Yea, if the Ubuntu repository doesn't soon include the latest stable version, I'll take the flatpak route..

Thanks....

---------- Post added 10-07-21 at 09:22 PM ----------

I went back to 2.10.18 and everything works fine. But like I said, Ubuntu has a habit of "updating" software to its latest stable version in the repository....

I would caution anyone using a non Ricoh Pentax, that earlier versions like this can also strip the EXIF data.... Like I said previously, I experienced that with a Pentax k-r....

Of course, one could install any version with flatpak in Ubuntu, and flatpak installations aren't updated or effected by the Ubuntu repository updates....

Thanks everyone for your replies.... I have it under control now...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-07-2021 at 09:38 PM.
10-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote

I'm using Gimp 2.10.24 a Pentax k-s2 camera

p.s. The exif data is retained if I overwrite. It's just when exporting that it is lost... I can't do a "save as" because the resulting file is not jpg (it's .xcf)
I'm using GIMP 2.10.24 on Fedora Linux, and have not seen that problem.
I always export as tiff, you might try that.

Cheers,
Terry

10-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gimp 2.10.24 is available in snap format on Ubuntu 21,04:

$ snap list | grep gimp
gimp 2.10.24 372 latest/stable snapcrafters -
10-07-2021, 11:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use Gimp 2.10.18 and exif data is lost at export. I've copied an exiftool command line copy exif data into a shortcut on my desktop. Well, that's the joy of using free software.
10-07-2021, 11:57 PM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I use Gimp 2.10.18 and exif data is lost at export. I've copied an exiftool command line copy exif data into a shortcut on my desktop. Well, that's the joy of using free software.
If you are using a camera prior to a Ricoh Pentax camera, older versions of Gimp can strip the EXIF data. Older versions of Gimp likely won't strip it if it is a Ricoh made Pentax camera.
I used the beta version of Gimp to avoid this problem when I had a Pentax k-r (non Ricoh body). Waiting on the next stable version to come out. The beta version had the fix in it that was included with the next stable version.

I now have a Ricoh made Pentax. (k-s2).

The current stable version of Gimp in the Ubuntu depository is 2.10.24, and it can strip EXIF data when exporting photo files (but not overwriting), even when owns a Ricoh body.
Going back to Gimp 2.10.18 will solve the EXIF stripping problem (when exporting) if one has a Ricoh body. Also, likely, the current stable version of Gimp (2.10.28) has the fix in it.
Since Ubuntu depository doesn't have 2.10.24 in it, neither does Synaptic package manager, then Ricoh owners will likely either have to use Gimp 2.10.18, which is in the Synaptic package manager or one can install the flatpak stable version of Gimp (2.10.28) and the fix is likely in there. (or use the beta version which is installable via flatpak also).

Since owning the Pentax k-r and now the k-s2, I have danced around using different versions, both stable and unstable (beta) to have a version that doesn't strip EXIF.... I've had to edit this a couple times, because I have typed the wrong versions of Gimp - that's how confusing this can be... Much of it comes down to if you have a Pentax camera (before Ricoh owned it) or if you have a Ricoh Pentax.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-08-2021 at 12:04 AM.
10-08-2021, 12:00 AM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ubuntu 20.04 and Gimp 2.10.18 here and "exif" and "properties" available even on the downsized FB sized jpgs created and exported from Gimp. Viewed in Digikam. Must be a setting somewhere. This is a raw developed by darktable working as a plugin in Gimp.
Attached Images

10-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But the plot thickens. Here is a screenshot of Digikam properties showing for a Darktable - Gimp processed jpg image (2nd photo) and another for an export tiff straight from darktable to file.
Attached Images

10-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
If you are using a camera prior to a Ricoh Pentax camera, older versions of Gimp can strip the EXIF data. Older versions of Gimp likely won't strip it if it is a Ricoh made Pentax camera.
I tried to replace camera make name, Pentax , Ricoh Pentax, whatever, it didn't help. So, I have an icon on my desktop , I just click on it when I want exif data in exports, no big deal since I only use Gimp for few images that requires it.
10-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is probably what I am missing as I have this problem as well but never cared enough to really fix it.
10-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
But the plot thickens. Here is a screenshot of Digikam properties showing for a Darktable - Gimp processed jpg image (2nd photo) and another for an export tiff straight from darktable to file.
I'm really not sure what you are getting at with your 2 posts. Are you demonstrating that Gimp works for you or doesn't? Perhaps you can elaborate...

---------- Post added 10-08-21 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I tried to replace camera make name, Pentax , Ricoh Pentax, whatever, it didn't help. So, I have an icon on my desktop , I just click on it when I want exif data in exports, no big deal since I only use Gimp for few images that requires it.
I'm sure it depends on how much you rely on Gimp, as to how big of a deal it is. Personally, I use it as my primary program to do post processing & I often enter photo challenges, on another website - which the host(s) often require full EXIF data to be within the file...

I'm sure your solution is quite usable for you. For me, however, that one simple extra step adds some aggravation if one post processes dozens of photos at once.... Having the right, or certain, version of Gimp will clear things up....Regardless, I think the current stable release fixes it, and it's just a matter of time before that release is included in the Ubuntu updates...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-08-2021 at 01:37 PM.