Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
dissapearing pictures

I’m not a big download fan, have never had a movie in computer.
My pc is fire walled to China, and scanned weekly. My storage is on a separate hard drive. I really don’t have many virus worries as my system was setup correctly. (I’m Blessed by an IT buddy who works for BBQ and beer)

Post Processing software must be kept current by internet.

Affinity Photo has been upgraded about a dozen times.
You can get a free trial of Affinity on the website. If you like it you buy your copy. It works independently of the internet.

Hang up and DRIVE!

10-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
I forgot to mention that the pc I use to pp is not net connected because I dont want to run the risque of virus in my pictures
How does this machine update it's operating system or antivirus definitions?
10-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I do.
Eject card from KP, lock it, insert in the reader. Copy and past to at least two different drives (Last Finland trip went to 4 separate drives)
Eject the card, unlock and stick it back in the camera, format in the camera later on after getting done with processing and saving.
I use irfanView and PSE14.
10-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Years ago we had 1 family pc which i worked ion
We had too many troubles so we decided that I should have a pc placed in my traditionel darkroom - which still is in use-. The pictures cs5 and picaa were moved to the new pc, I cant tell how, it was done by my freind. I have never updated anything, I thought that this setup was virus resistent, but now I am in doubt. I have downloaded from KP to the family pc, afrom the department for silly questions, can the camera be infected

10-12-2021, 11:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Not a problem … no internet, no risk, no need for anti-virus or updates, just leave it alone!
If you disable anti-virus etc. completely the machine will run a whole lot faster

---------- Post added 10-12-21 at 11:39 PM ----------

… from the department for silly questions, can the camera be infected

Extremely unlikely, for several reasons.
Pentax cameras, especially, are in relatively small numbers, so it's unlikely anyone would want to bother writing code for such a small user base.
Other than for firmware updates, the camera is effectively a read-only device, so getting any malevolent code onto a camera would likely be difficult.
However, it is possible that one or more of your cards could be infected, the infection having come from a computer at some point and is being "re-transferred" back again … not an issue I've ever been aware of, but possible.
To prevent this occurring in the future, the card(s) should be write-protected except when in the camera.
I will emphasise, these are extreme circumstances, purely conjecture, with no basis in my experience
Much more likely that your older software is having problems indexing or opening files from the camera and corrupting them at this point.
It is quite possible that if only the EXIF data has been damaged another image viewing program will be able to open the images … try IrfanView, it'll open most things
10-13-2021, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
I’m not a big download fan, have never had a movie in computer.
My pc is fire walled to China, and scanned weekly. My storage is on a separate hard drive. I really don’t have many virus worries as my system was setup correctly. (I’m Blessed by an IT buddy who works for BBQ and beer)

Post Processing software must be kept current by internet.

Affinity Photo has been upgraded about a dozen times.
You can get a free trial of Affinity on the website. If you like it you buy your copy. It works independently of the internet.

Hang up and DRIVE!
Your freind is welcome if he comes to Denmar.k The klocal mini brewery is exellent
10-13-2021, 02:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago we had 1 family pc which i worked ion
We had too many troubles so we decided that I should have a pc placed in my traditionel darkroom - which still is in use-. The pictures cs5 and picaa were moved to the new pc, I cant tell how, it was done by my freind. I have never updated anything, I thought that this setup was virus resistent, but now I am in doubt. I have downloaded from KP to the family pc, afrom the department for silly questions, can the camera be infected
No, the camera would almost certainly be virus free. USB drives or other drives (with images and other files on) which you may connect to that PC may not, of course, be virus or spyware free. Of course, if that machine is not connected to anything else, then it should be pretty safe.

What's the operating system in this "darkroom PC"?

10-13-2021, 02:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Much more likely that your older software is having problems indexing or opening files from the camera and corrupting them at this point.
I agree, this is one of the most likely causes of the problem.
10-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, the camera would almost certainly be virus free. USB drives or other drives (with images and other files on) which you may connect to that PC may not, of course, be virus or spyware free. Of course, if that machine is not connected to anything else, then it should be pretty safe.

What's the operating system in this "darkroom PC"?
vista 64

---------- Post added 10-13-21 at 11:26 AM ----------

Thanks for all answers, I have to make a break untill monday, in the weekem´nd I will visit my son and try downloading on his pc. I have bought a new Sd card and formatted it, I have reset the camera to factory state, I have bought a card reader, allpictures dissapear. I am now convinced about getting some newer software See you later

---------- Post added 10-13-21 at 11:26 AM ----------

Thanks for all answers, I have to make a break untill monday, in the weekem´nd I will visit my son and try downloading on his pc. I have bought a new Sd card and formatted it, I have reset the camera to factory state, I have bought a card reader, allpictures dissapear. I am now convinced about getting some newer software See you later
10-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

vista 64
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But hey, if it works, it works.
Except, don't expect much new software to run on it. It's somewhat obsolete.
10-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My workflow is this

Expose the pictures
download to picasa 3
pp in photoshop cs5
The other day I downloaded 52 pictures
opened picasa all 52 pictures occured
when i wanted to see the first photo it dissapeared together with 12 other pictures, instead there is only noisy snow
I dont suspect the sd card .I am unhappy with the dissapearence of 3 of the pictures, the rest were replacable testphotos
What has happened, how can I avoid it
My back up is almost up to date
Niels,
just to make sure I understand correctly:

1. You open the pictures (that's what I understood with "expose pictures)
So you look at them with IrvanView or similar?
2. Picasa I don't know, never worked with but:
3. PP with PS CS5:

Question:
Does this mean you "just open the picture on the SD card with CS5, pp and then store it on the card?

I work with CS2 for simple PP because I have worked with PS since PS7, CS2 is almost the same.
For more complex work I use CS6 Master or Lightroom 5 (or Sigma Photo Pro 6 when I use my Sigma)

I had that problem when I worked/altered/renamed photos on the SD-Card instead of downloading them on the harddisk I had problems at times, losing
photos or when reusing the card in my Pentax it all the sudden said "card not formatted"
10-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LAST NEWS
To make a long story short, the present problem is solved: for some unexplainable reason the DNG was changed to PEF on the menu. But thanks for all the comments , they will be carefully srtudied
The plan is to get Bridge to work and see what happens.
Mark: I understand thar vista 64 is no good . What operating system will you recommend + Is Linux a usefull alternative ?

---------- Post added 10-14-21 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Niels,
just to make sure I understand correctly:

1. You open the pictures (that's what I understood with "expose pictures)
So you look at them with IrvanView or similar?
2. Picasa I don't know, never worked with but:
3. PP with PS CS5:

Question:
Does this mean you "just open the picture on the SD card with CS5, pp and then store it on the card?

I work with CS2 for simple PP because I have worked with PS since PS7, CS2 is almost the same.
For more complex work I use CS6 Master or Lightroom 5 (or Sigma Photo Pro 6 when I use my Sigma)

I had that problem when I worked/altered/renamed photos on the SD-Card instead of downloading them on the harddisk I had problems at times, losing
photos or when reusing the card in my Pentax it all the sudden said "card not formatted"

I downloaded the pictures, diconnected the camera, opened Picasa, found the picture, moved to cs5 raw machine etc
10-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That’s great news!
Since you’re using CS5, try bridge. It interfaces perfectly as they are a pairing. What I discovered when switching from Adobe is that the current online Bridge is free and still gets updated.

Hang up and DRIVE!
10-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LAST NEWS
To make a long story short, the present problem is solved: for some unexplainable reason the DNG was changed to PEF on the menu. But thanks for all the comments , they will be carefully studied
The plan is to get Bridge to work and see what happens.
Mark: I understand thar vista 64 is no good . What operating system will you recommend + Is Linux a useful alternative ?[COLOR="Silver"]

I downloaded the pictures, disconnected the camera, opened Picasa, found the picture, moved to cs5 raw machine etc
I'm real pleased to hear you have found the problem and that it was an easy fix.

I can't comment re Linux, sorry. I'm running Windows 10 and will soon transition to 11.