Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2021, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
What is the consensus on this -> does condensation likely build up inside the lens or outside the lens when taken from a warm home to a cold outdoors ?
Much of the answer depends on the relative humidity indoors vs. outdoors. Generally, interiors are drier due to heaters or air conditioning, so on a non-WR or AW lens when taken from a warm interior to a cold exterior the condensation will build up in the lens due to the warm trapped air.

When taking a cold lens from outside to a warm inside, however, condensation will usually happen both on the outside and the inside of the lens.

The best solution for going out is to keep the lens as dry as possible or even to leave it in a cold space like an unheated garage for a few hours before using.
For returning indoors, while outside, I would suggest putting both the camera with lens in an air tight zip lock bag with as much air removed as possible before coming inside. After a few hours, when the camera/lens temperature matches the room temp, you can take them out of the ziplock.

10-18-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do a fair amount of outside shooting in cold weather and my advice from going from cold->warm is have a Ziplock bag you can put it in. What I do is after shooting while still outside I put the camera and attached lens inside of a ziplock bag, squeeze most of the air out, seal it, and then head in. The condensation will still happen but instead of inside the lens, on the lens, or on the body it happens on the outside of the ziplock bag.

Doing astro shooting fogging and frost is a problem and things like using lens hoods and lens heaters do work to solve that problem while shooting.
10-18-2021, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I'm really actually glad that it is the lens and not the camera body. I guess the weather resistant sealing of the K-S2 has done it's job, eh?

Regards,

Michael
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I believe with an unsealed lens mounted as in this case, the WR of the K-S2 is pretty much negated- unless you are splashing water on the body.
What Don said is very important, WR sealing will not prevent moisture coming in through the lens mount with a non WR lens attached. So for weather sealing to really work, both camera and lens need to be sealed.
10-18-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
What Don said is very important, WR sealing will not prevent moisture coming in through the lens mount with a non WR lens attached. So for weather sealing to really work, both camera and lens need to be sealed.
But moisturized air will find its way into lens and camera even with a WR lens attached to a WR camera.

10-18-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
But moisturized air will find its way into lens and camera even with a WR lens attached to a WR camera.
Yes it will; just not quite as easy/quickly !
10-18-2021, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for your nice replies - I gave each of your posts a green thumbs up.

So basically, condensation will accumulate on the warm side of the glass. - which in fall and winter means the condensation will occur inside the lens or inside the camera that just went outside from a warm house. Air inside will stay at a higher temperature longer.

Then, after the camera system has been out in the cold for a while & the camera system is brought inside, the warm side of the glass will then be on the outside of the camera lens (mostly outside the front camera lens/element).

Other than the lens warming devices you guys alluded to, I suppose it is a good idea to put the camera system inside a bag and let it sit outside for a while first & then when before bringing it back in, go ahead and put it in the bag and leave it in the bag inside the home (for a while) before taking it out. I surmise putting it in a camera bag and letting it sit outside first is more important.

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 10-18-2021 at 04:04 PM.
10-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I highly recommend the Kendrick Astro products for astrophotography: Kendrick Astro Instruments - dew removal, imaging power, power packs, observer tent, solar filters, focus masks, USB hub,cord management solutions
The quality is much better than some of the junk on Amazon.

10-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

So basically, condensation will accumulate on the warm side of the glass. - which in fall and winter means the condensation will occur inside the lens or inside the camera that just went outside from a warm house. Air inside will stay at a higher temperature longer.
My experience differs. I have never had the innards of a camera lens dew up. It's always on the outside of my lenses.

The inside of a lens holds a small amount of air, and therefore can only have a small amount of water vapor. There's just not enough water content to cause interior fogging in my climate (mid-Atlantic with hot humid summers, cold winters). Maybe much hotter and wetter summers like Florida or a rain forest can get interior fogging.

Exterior condensation can happen even on nights that don't feel very humid, because there's a limitless supply of new air outside the lens that can keep depositing tiny amounts of water that add up.

Warm indoors -> cooler outdoors never causes a problem for me. The lens is warmer than the surrounding air and it wants to dry itself. After the lens cools down below ambient air temperature (due to heat radiation), though, it can attract water from the air.

Cool indoors -> hot humid summer night will instantly attract water on the outside of the lens. In this case, it helps to pre-warm the lens and use a dew heater.
10-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My experience differs. I have never had the innards of a camera lens dew up. It's always on the outside of my lenses.
This is usually the case I have had as well except the one time I brought a camera in and moved the focus or zoom, I forget which, and that drew warm air into the lens and fogged it.