Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #1

Learning and purchasing lens filters

Hello again everyone,

I am interested in purchasing lens filters for some of my cameras, my k1000 in particular. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, after research I found myself more confused than when I started. I know they can be helpful, and I am interested in purchasing some. The question is...where do I start? I don't know what filters to get, or what company to buy them from. Should all of my cameras utilize filters? I have a Canon T7, K1000, Minolta X-570, do you recommend that I should get them for all of my cameras? Which ones would be the best to have? I really don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars, but if they are worth having I would like something that is reasonable. I would greatly appreciate the help, I am beyond lost...

Thanks as always,

Ben

10-20-2021, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think about what you might want/need filters for.

Back in the film era, various color filters let you (de)emphasize various colors and effects. Most (but see below) of those can be emulated in post-processing for digital images.

What you might find most useful now are: polarizing filters (can get rid of annoying reflections from glass and water, as well as emphasize parts of the sky, and CAN NOT be replaced by PhotoShop tricks) and neutral density filters - these absorb various amounts of light, and let you make long(er) exposures that can smooth out the effects of running water.
10-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a bit of information from Cokin on the filters and their use https://cokinfilter.com/blogs/news/the-beginners-guide-to-mastering-cokin-filters that you may find useful. Tried the individual filters early on and found, given the variation in lens thread sizes, the collection could get expensive and cumbersome. The "system's" mounting rings are relatively cheap and for the majority of my lenses, one filter holder works. My favourite filters combination is the polarizer stacked with an ND grad. Hope this helps a bit
10-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Think about what you might want/need filters for.

Back in the film era, various color filters let you (de)emphasize various colors and effects. Most (but see below) of those can be emulated in post-processing for digital images.

What you might find most useful now are: polarizing filters (can get rid of annoying reflections from glass and water, as well as emphasize parts of the sky, and CAN NOT be replaced by PhotoShop tricks) and neutral density filters - these absorb various amounts of light, and let you make long(er) exposures that can smooth out the effects of running water.
Dave,

I did read about how filters can play with colors especially in film (in the article I read, it was the color blue), I think I will try a polarizing and a ND filter. Do you have any recommendation on the manufacturer? I very much dislike being cheap (especially with technology), but I saw filters for like 300$+ and in my mind that is a little unreasonable. Anyway, do you have any advice for me? Any other filters that might be of use? Thanks again for the reply, you really shed some light on the topic for me!

-Ben

10-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would say a Circular Polarizer is a "Must have" filter, and neutral density filter's are a good "optional" filter, mainly due to what & how you shoot you may or may not need one.

I would say get a circular polarizer that fits on the lens that has the biggest filter diameter (52mm, 58mm etc.) and get a step-up ring to fit it on the other lense(s).
10-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shooting film:
Skylight (warming) filter is very helpful outside. I prefer this to a UV filter on film.
Polarizer is often useful.
Neutral density filter might be helpful if you need to allow shutter speed down for flowing water or to remove people from a scene.
Yellow filters (light and darker) will increase contrast in b&w.
Specialized filters for color correction when the film type doesn’t match lighting.

Use larger but not giant filters and step rings to use them on all lens diameters smaller than the filter.
10-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's worth talking about what types of photography you are looking to do. Frequent landscape photographers are more likely than wildlife or portrait fans to want a few useful filters on hand. Generally, that is, and just as an example.

You mentioned a K1000 and a Minolta film camera. Do you shoot black and white or color film in those things? Filters for film photography will not necessarily be the same as those for your DSLR, although the most common ones these days will have uses for both.

Also worth looking at is what lenses you have, and where you are in your particular photo gear journey.
Do you have lenses you love and know you will be shooting with forever; or do you just have the lenses that came with used cameras that you got, and don't even know what subjects you like to shoot yet?
Are you a person who uses two basic zooms for absolutely everything; or do you like trying all the vintage primes ever made?

For some it makes sense to buy one large size filter of the one/s they find useful, and various step up rings to use those on many lenses. But not for everyone. And it will really sting if, for instance, you invest in several nice 72mm filters, only to find that the lenses you will want as your next step take 82mm.

Providing some of that info will probably help get more targeted responses.
I will conclude my contribution with this: some people don't use any filters at all, and that's probably okay too. I'm one of those. I know circular polarizers (and others) have a valuable function you can't really replace, but it's not gonna stop me from taking and enjoying my photos.

10-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #8

In the days of film, my go-to filter brand was HMC Hoya, made in Japan. The "HMC" designation stood for Hoya Multi-Coated. Great quality that didn't cost a fortune. I bought so many back them, that I still have enough for all my lenses. Therefore, I haven't had to purchase any other type recently, but I do know that HOYA still sells HMC filters. I believe there is a lower cost line, and a more expensive line that continues to be made in Japan.
10-21-2021, 04:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Useful review of polarizers here https://www.lenstip.com/139.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_2015.html It was a while ago but things won't have changed much since then. They also tested UV filters so search that site for more info.
10-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Useful review of polarizers here https://www.lenstip.com/139.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_2015.html It was a while ago but things won't have changed much since then. They also tested UV filters so search that site for more info.
might be worth the time to read:
QuoteQuote:
Polarizing Filter Basics
An article explaining the photographic uses and effects of a polarizer
By bdery in Articles and Tips on Jul 14, 2014

The polarizing filter is one of the most commonly used lens filters among photographers. There is a good reason for this: this type of filter can enhance photos in many ways. When used correctly, a polarizer will reduce or eliminate glare from reflective surfaces such as glass and water. It can deepen the color of the sky and the overall color saturation in an image, especially outdoors, can also be significantly improved. . .
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/polarizing-filter-physi...#ixzz79xZbW6wj
10-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #11

In addition to the polarizer and ND filters, I also like “star” filters that create a starburst at night around bright lights like streetlights or stoplights. They usually come in 4- or 6-point versions. You can do something similar with high f-stops but using the filter is easier. I got some great lighthouse shots with one.

The other thing to look at when you buy filters is whether you can buy one filter that will work on multiple lenses. For example, I have several lenses with 62 mm threads and several 58 mm lenses. So I have a nice 62mm ND filter and a step-up ring (adapter) so I can put the 62 mm filter on my 58 mm lens threads. It might mean I can’t fit my lens hood on, but I don’t need two different ND filters.
10-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I would say get a circular polarizer that fits on the lens that has the biggest filter diameter (52mm, 58mm etc.) and get a step-up ring to fit it on the other lense(s).
I believe the OP has only film cameras, and linear polarisers are fine for film and significantly cheaper than circular polarisers.

I have a UV filter for every lens I have, and a polarising filter for each size of lens thread that I have. 49, 67 and 82 mm are common Pentax lens threads. I would only use a step-up for an occasionally used filter like an ND.

$300 for a filter is barmy. Filters don't wear out, so I get used ones from Ebay after assessing the advert for condition and possible scratches. Being sold with its original case and box is always a good sign. I have just received a Hoya (a good brand) 58mm circular polarier for £9.95 (~ $12?). Even if a used one turns out to be scratched or something, not much has been lost.

10-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I believe the OP has only film cameras, and linear polarisers are fine for film and significantly cheaper than circular polarisers.
I see it as a "future proofing" measure when going with a CPL, as the OP may shoot with a AF camera (either af film or digital camera) down the road, so its less money in the long run & less likely for the OP haveing to rebuy one
10-25-2021, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drinkyT Quote
Do you have any recommendation on the manufacturer?
Any other filters that might be of use?
I do recommend the B+W filter brochure as free lecture (40 pages filled with good infos) as well as the products of this Brand itself:
https://schneiderkreuznach.com/download_file/force/1956/1085
https://schneiderkreuznach.com/en/photo-optics/b-w-filters/filtertypes
10-26-2021, 07:06 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I do recommend the B+W filter brochure
Good links. I have an old Hoya brochure something like that.