Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

K20D screen failure

After falling literally just a few inches to the wood floor, The screen on the back of the K20D camera body only shows an array of vertical colored lines. Is this something a local tech could fix, or a “factory-only” problem ? Or is it something i could deal with, by for instance updating firmware or something?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Cheers Mark

Attached Images

10-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Mark, welcome to the forums.

Because of the age of the K20D, getting it repaired will be tricky.
I have linked the thread dedicated to Worldwide repairs, and there are quite a few repairers in the USA. Unfortunately, the cost of repairs would be more than getting another second-hand K20D, or even upgrading to a newer model.. An email doesn't cost anything, so getting a quote from any on the list below couldn't hurt.

Good luck.

Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-25-2021 at 06:58 PM.
10-26-2021, 07:00 AM   #3

Hi Mark, can you take pictures with that camera? Is everything but the LCD working normally? Something could simply disconnect due to the impact. Assuming, that you're lucky ;-)
10-26-2021, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

That's bad luck. My K20D screen has a healthy crack after I managed to hit it while closing the hatch on my SUV. It still works perfect. Gotta watch where I put my nose, though!

10-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most important question: Does it take photos?
If not, then exodus.
But inside it has the valuable white Japan-Solenoid which is great for repairing any of those:
K30/50/500/70 and K-S1/2 when their solenoid fails.
Much better Pentax bodies anyway.

The K20D was built like a tank but the CMOS Samsung sensor wasn't the best.
10-26-2021, 09:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryszard Quote
Hi Mark, can you take pictures with that camera? Is everything but the LCD working normally? Something could simply disconnect due to the impact. Assuming, that you're lucky ;-)
Takes pictures just fine. But cannot control anything via menu since i cannot see the menu. Just the lines for a few moments when i turn it on.
10-26-2021, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

I have linked the thread dedicated to Worldwide repairs, and there are quite a few repairers in the USA. Unfortunately, the cost of repairs would be more than getting another second-hand K20D, or even upgrading to a newer model.. An email doesn't cost anything, so getting a quote from any on the list below couldn't hurt.

Good luck.

Thanks for this. I will check them out.

10-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Most important question: Does it take photos?
If not, then exodus.
But inside it has the valuable white Japan-Solenoid which is great for repairing any of those:
K30/50/500/70 and K-S1/2 when their solenoid fails.
Much better Pentax bodies anyway.

The K20D was built like a tank but the CMOS Samsung sensor wasn't the best.
Hopefully this is not a repeat. I am not seeing my replies show up. Yes, takes pictures just fine. Am i correct in guessing that trying to check for a loose connection myself would be pretty stupid? Even if i did used to do electronics last century
10-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could just be the connectors.
there is a main connector from the whole backside including LCD to the mainboard
and there are internal connectors connecting the LCD to the LCD board inside the backpart.

Take photos of each step or make drawings.
If the problem remains, its the LCD itself.
10-28-2021, 01:36 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJ Quote
Am i correct in guessing that trying to check for a loose connection myself would be pretty stupid? Even if i did used to do electronics last century
These connectors are tiny and fragile, but I disassembled couple of K-x cameras - and didn't break them. You might be skilled enough too. Good luck!
10-28-2021, 09:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryszard Quote
These connectors are tiny and fragile, but I disassembled couple of K-x cameras - and didn't break them. You might be skilled enough too. Good luck!
Thanks. I may give it a go. I think i may have the appropriate tools.
10-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

Good luck.

You were correct. The cheapest repair would be more than a good 2nd hand replacement.
10-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJ Quote
You were correct. The cheapest repair would be more than a good 2nd hand replacement.
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck with getting another camera.
10-29-2021, 12:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disassembling the K20D is exactly the same as with the K10D, most parts of the body are interchangeable (but not the LCD).
Follow those steps as described here for the K30:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
but the backside as well.

The Samsung GX20 is almost identical, service manual here:
SAMSUNG GX-20 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

Discharge of the flash-condensor crucial, it charges whenever you open the pop-up flash and you need to do so for the 2 screws located there!

I would take these steps:
- the back-part with the LCD connects just with one quiete large connector, very simple to take off and to "plug on" again.
- Top part back into position, battery in: Test. Could all be fine now.

if not:
- battery out, discharge of condensor!
- smaller flat-wire ribbon connector of the LCD is visible on the K10D, so I think as well on the K20D: Open, clean it with alcool and back in.
TEST

if not fine:
- battery out, discharge
- disassembly of LCD to get to the 2-nd smaller ribbon-wire (I think the K10D and K20D have that, it is too long time ago that I disassembled the LCD, can't remember, but the K5 and
others have 2
If all that doesn't help, then you need a new LCD which is difficult, no longer available. The K200D/K-m/K-x LCD is of the same size but might not fit.
10-31-2021, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Disassembling the K20D is exactly the same as with the K10D, most parts of the body are interchangeable (but not the LCD).
Follow those steps as described here for the K30:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
but the backside as well.

The Samsung GX20 is almost identical, service manual here:
SAMSUNG GX-20 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

Discharge of the flash-condensor crucial, it charges whenever you open the pop-up flash and you need to do so for the 2 screws located there!

I would take these steps:
- the back-part with the LCD connects just with one quiete large connector, very simple to take off and to "plug on" again.
- Top part back into position, battery in: Test. Could all be fine now.

if not:
- battery out, discharge of condensor!
- smaller flat-wire ribbon connector of the LCD is visible on the K10D, so I think as well on the K20D: Open, clean it with alcool and back in.
TEST

if not fine:
- battery out, discharge
- disassembly of LCD to get to the 2-nd smaller ribbon-wire (I think the K10D and K20D have that, it is too long time ago that I disassembled the LCD, can't remember, but the K5 and
others have 2
If all that doesn't help, then you need a new LCD which is difficult, no longer available. The K200D/K-m/K-x LCD is of the same size but might not fit.
Thank you for this. You are a blessing