Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #1

Trying to Zoom with my K-3 as webcam connected to PC laptop

When I connect to my laptop's HDMI port, nothing happens.
When I connect through USB, it just opens the folders of my two memory cards.

I have a 15mm lens and a stereo mic I really want to use to give more life to a small group in Zoom meetings but don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I checked software downloads on the Ricoh site but don't see anything that helps there. Any advice? Thank you.

10-26-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You'd need an HDMI/USB video capture adapter to do this.

But you'd also need a camera that can output a 'clean' HDMI feed. I don't think that the K-3 can do this, but others might be able to correct me.

Ricoh really ought to provide an update/tool for this task since Canon has done so during the pandemic!
10-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
You'd need an HDMI/USB video capture adapter to do this.
I haven't tried, but it seems that a HDMI to USB adapter is the most simple solution.

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
But you'd also need a camera that can output a 'clean' HDMI feed. I don't think that the K-3 can do this, but others might be able to correct me.
This is assuming we don't want any overlay on the output. If the video output at HDMI is the same as on the back display of the camera in live view mode, than the overlay at HDMI output should be minimal.
But I haven't tried, so I can't tell exactly how it is.

A thing I discovered in home office, is that a camera + lens would be much better than a webcam. Benefit of using a camera: possibility to adjust height on tripod, and choice of focal length.
10-27-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AvaGondolier Quote
When I connect to my laptop's HDMI port, nothing happens.
Your laptop can output HDMI, it can't receive it, Ava!

Ofer4 explains what you need, you can buy an external capture card.

10-27-2021, 05:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The k-3 doesn’t have a built in webcam function so connection to usb won’t work. The hdmi output of the camera will have to be captured and that requires some device external to the camera and laptop. (Some are as small as a cable) Additionally the hdmi output is likely cloned from the lcd panel output which will mean the camera data that shows up there will be captured and the resolution is likely limited to the back lcd’s resolution.

---------- Post added 10-27-21 at 08:50 AM ----------

Btw - my Sony A7rII could do this in theory. In practice it was quite finicky. The in camera function was far less reliable on that camera than what an external capture device is likely to have.
10-27-2021, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you would need one of these:

Elgato cam link- it turns any device capable of outputting HDMI into a USB camera.