Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2021, 12:37 AM   #1

K 50 AV mode

Hello all. My k50 has suddenly stopped showing AV mode. It shows P mode instead . Aperture priority is my favorite mode . Anyone with same problem and solution?
Thanks and regards

10-28-2021, 03:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Do any of the other Modes work as expected, or is the camera "stuck" in "P" irrespective of the Mode wheel setting?
For what it's worth, I used to use Av as my "favourite" 'till I discovered TAv … it's like Av on steroids, well worth the effort
10-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks a bit like having the mode set to P and using it with a manual aperture lens and then suddenly attaching an ?A lens set to A.
10-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

Non A lenses default to Av in all modes except M, X and B.

Can you set the camera to the other modes like Tv, Tav or Sv?

Do you have other lenses to try?

The mode dial may have gone bad. Any mechanical device can fail from wear or faults in the material. Rotating the dial a few times may clean the contacts temporarily. If the contacts are worn or out of alignment sometimes moving to the setting from the opposite direction or in-between the settings will work for awhile.

DIY repair may not be possible since Ricoh won't sell you parts. It may involve un-soldering and soldering connections so may need the skills and equipment for that task.

You may check some of the threads on eDial and Mode Dial DIY fixes to get an idea of what is involved.

Otherwise you may have to send it out for repair.

10-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a KP that I accidentally broke the mode dial and it only shoots in Tv mode, I just use it for telephoto shooting which is fine. Cost of getting a mode dial fixed is prohibitive and would really not be an easy repair. You are stuck in the P mode which I believe can give you a lot of options, check your manual. You may actually be able to use it just like Av mode if you set it up that way. I'm not sure of that because I don't use P mode, but check it out in the manual.
10-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a KP that I accidentally broke the mode dial and it only shoots in Tv mode, I just use it for telephoto shooting which is fine.

Cost of getting a mode dial fixed is prohibitive and would really not be an easy repair.
It actually is a very easy repair!
The costs depend of course on how much one has to pay for the damaged parts themselves.
I have exchanged the mode-dial on several Pentax bodies, nothing special

It could well be the mode-dial, for this one has to disassemble it, open it and clean it.

Similar to those tutorials:
Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

Repairing the notorious Pentax DSLR mode dial stuck – Witono's Freestyle

But first a reset and check if the battery is alright
10-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It actually is a very easy repair!
The costs depend of course on how much one has to pay for the damaged parts themselves.
I have exchanged the mode-dial on several Pentax bodies, nothing special
Which bodies have you repaired? I would be concerned about weather sealing, etc. I know mine is a physical break as I turned it without pushing the lock button in all of the way.

10-31-2021, 11:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Which bodies have you repaired? I would be concerned about weather sealing, etc. I know mine is a physical break as I turned it without pushing the lock button in all of the way.
Every Pentax up to the K5-Series and the K3.
Majority were K30/50/70/K-S1/K-S2 of course due to solenoid-failure (I'd say about 100 + of those but I never counted)
Not to worry about weather sealing. That explains itself when you disassemble the body.