Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #1

Canon fit for Takamar lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone advice what connector I would need to connect th :

S-M-C/Super Takumar 300mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

To my Canon 6D Mk2 DSLR?

10-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This will work, but I don't know about mirror clearance issues. Full frame Canons do not play well with K mount lenses, but I'm not sure what the situation is with M42 glass.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995135-REG/fotodiox_m42_eos_p_pro_can...981&
10-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah that's dollars I'm in UK. What would it be called so I could search for it here. Would like to get it by next Tues. ideally.
10-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have a Takumar 200mm lens that fits my canon but I don't see how the same M42 thread will fit this giant of a 300mm Takumar lens?

10-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
This will work, but I don't know about mirror clearance issues. Full frame Canons do not play well with K mount lenses, but I'm not sure what the situation is with M42 glass.
My oldest owns that converter and it works fine on crop format Canon cameras like his 30D. I got it for him so he could use my old M42 glass, and he also owns the k-mount one so he can use my newer glass. I have had the chance to test these adapters on a full frame Canon camera and there they don't work work and the mirror will get hung up so one will need an adapter that has some optics in it making it a mild teleconverter to use on full frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by woldsweather Quote
I have a Takumar 200mm lens that fits my canon but I don't see how the same M42 thread will fit this giant of a 300mm Takumar lens?
My S-M-C 200/4 Takumar and S-M-C 300/4 Takumar have both been hung off that adapter on a Canon 30D without issue. As have most of my M42 lenses all without issue on that camera. The k-mount variant of that adapter hasn't been used to hang the camera off the back of my 400 since I won't let the kid use that lens but even there he has use a number of my k-mount lenses.
10-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The same adapter should work, M42 is M42.
10-28-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah that's dollars I'm in UK. What would it be called so I could search for it here. Would like to get it by next Tues. ideally.
Search for "M42 to Canon EF adapter".

I use two different M42 to EF adapters which I bought on U.S. ebay. One has an inner flange to depress lens mount stop down pins, and the other doesn't. The flanged adapter is helpful for lenses which don't have an Auto/Manual switch where depressing the mount pin is the only way to stop down the aperture.

Super and S-M-C Takumars have an Auto/Manual switch so a pin pressing flanged adapter isn't needed to stop down the lens. And if your 300mm is S-M-C, be aware that EF adapters with a flange may interfere with the S-M-C's open aperture metering hardware.

My S-M-C lenses will work if attached to a flanged adapter, but when the adapter is screwed on snugly, the metering hardware on the lens mount rubs against the adapter flange making the aperture ring difficult to turn.

And my 5D has never had a problem with the mirror hitting the rear of M42 telephoto lenses. I've had trouble only with 50mm and shorter lenses.

These are my two M42 to EF adapters - with flange and without:

And this is how my adapters appear when mounted on a S-M-C Takumar lens:

10-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Not all Takumars will clear the mirror.
This is based on the old 5D information. (which I had)
Most focal lengths are ok, and I think it was my Takumar 35/3.5 that had clearance issue at either close or far focus.

Do a google for the info, there used to be a list on the internet.
10-28-2021, 11:12 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the replies.

---------- Post added 10-28-21 at 11:13 PM ----------

The vendor in Japan says I need this and I must say that looks more like the size of the lens:

amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapters, Pentax 6x7 (P67) Mount Lenses to to Sony E-Mount Mirrorless Camera Adapter - for Sony Alpha E-Mount Camera Bodies (APS-C & Full Frame Such as NEX-5, NEX-7, 7, 7II) : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
10-29-2021, 12:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, you have a 6x7 medium format Takumar? Is this your lens? :
SMC Pentax 67 / S-M-C Takumar / Super Takumar 6x7 300mm F4 Reviews - 67 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

6x7 (or "67") medium format film Takumars have a bayonet mount entirely different from the M42 screw mount of Takumar lenses made for 135 format film.

I don't know much about 6x7 lenses, but for your 6D Mk2 you wouldn't need that Sony adapter which is included in your Amazon link. For about the same price, here's an adapter specifically for Canon which includes a focus confirmation chip:
amazon.com : Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter Compatible with Pentax 6x7 (P67, PK67) Mount SLR Lens to Canon EOS (EF, EF-S) Mount D/SLR Camera Body - with Gen10 Focus Confirmation Chip : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I've never used a Canon adapter with a focus confirmation chip, so I don't know if it's worth paying extra for it.

---------- Post added 10-29-21 at 12:36 AM ----------

Edit:
Unless you shoot exclusively hand held, woldsweather, I'd look for an adapter which includes a tripod mount. A 6x7 300mm is too long and heavy to hang from your Canon's mount without some support.

Last edited by .a.t.; 11-02-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: clarity
10-29-2021, 12:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
Will this one do the job:

Fits Pentax 67 P67 67II 6x7 Lens to Canon EOS camera body Mount Adapter 4000D 7D | eBay
10-29-2021, 01:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it works as advertised, yes, it should do the job.

Just remember that such adapters are made to a price and won't be rock solid in use with a large lens. The tripod foot is probably - I'm just speculating - held in place by a couple small screws.

... Actually, I just went and fetched my own third party Pentax 6x7 to Pentax K adapter. My adapter looks similar to the Canon adapter in the ebay link. And the tripod foot is indeed secured by two small screws - which were loose. It took just a moment to tighten them though.
In fact, I recall now that I had to file off some metal from the bayonet of my 6x7 adapter before it would fit onto my camera...

I'm not trying to discourage you, woldsweather, but I just want you to know these "cheap" adapters typically don't have the highest levels of build quality and precision machining. That said, my 6x7 - and other cheap adapters I own - do work as intended and I'm happy they're available at an affordable price.

Last edited by .a.t.; 10-29-2021 at 01:41 AM.
10-29-2021, 03:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
Can you explain what a 'tripod foot' is?
10-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you explain what a 'tripod foot' is?

That's the smaller, round piece on the bottom of the adpater which will attach to the tripod head. This way the weight of the lens will be borne by the adapter and tripod instead of the camera mount. So the larger the foot, the more stable your setup will be. Unfortunately, the adapter in the ebay link appears to have a small foot.

... Oh, I think I worry too much! Even if it isn't perfect, the adapter should work and allow you to use your Takumar on your Canon.

This is a picture of my Pentax 6x7 to Pentax K adapter. The larger hole in the foot is for the tripod screw and the two smaller holes hold the two attachment screws I mentioned earlier.

Name:  IMGP3065 g9.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  147.8 KB
10-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
If it works as advertised, yes, it should do the job.

Just remember that such adapters are made to a price and won't be rock solid in use with a large lens. The tripod foot is probably - I'm just speculating - held in place by a couple small screws.

... Actually, I just went and fetched my own third party Pentax 6x7 to Pentax K adapter. My adapter looks similar to the Canon adapter in the ebay link. And the tripod foot is indeed secured by two small screws - which were loose. It took just a moment to tighten them though.
In fact, I recall now that I had to file off some metal from the bayonet of my 6x7 adapter before it would fit onto my camera...

I'm not trying to discourage you, woldsweather, but I just want you to know these "cheap" adapters typically don't have the highest levels of build quality and precision machining. That said, my 6x7 - and other cheap adapters I own - do work as intended and I'm happy they're available at an affordable price.
The tripod foot connect by one screw and it sheared off in minutes - you told me so!

Better quality one?