Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

SD card to Mac help

Mac sees the card but not the files, When using card reader separate from camera and when straight from camera the outcome is the same. What is the pronlem?

10-30-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What Mac OS are you using & which camera?

Can you upload some screenshots?

Has it been ok before & this is a recent problem?
10-30-2021, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use both an iMac 27" and a MacBook Pro 16. I have not experienced any problems with reading the SD cards.

When you open your card in the Finder, you should see a folder named DCIM. Inside that folder you will find folders for your photo sessions with the image files listed. It has been the same through every version of the operating system. I use the DNG file format with my Pentax, and the whole thing looks like this:
DCIM (main folder)
100_902 (session folder)
_IMG2345.DNG. (sample file name)
I hope this helps.
10-31-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just0nn3m3! Quote
Mac sees the card but not the files, When using card reader separate from camera and when straight from camera the outcome is the same. What is the pronlem?
If you have a camera with two card slots, are you sure you are looking at the SD card that the camera was writing to?

10-31-2021, 03:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just0nn3m3! Quote
Almost always the problem is the need to update the app or software. The problem is more common once the OS gets too old or was recently updated.

But as you state the outcome is also 'straight from camera', does that mean you can't see the files by reviewing it in the camera itself? When files are put in the trash on the computer (intentionally or unintentionally) but you do not "Empty Trash", the files will disappear but also take up space on the card. Have you looked in the trash for the files?

Are these PEF, DNG, or jpegs?
10-31-2021, 09:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Almost always the problem is the need to update the app or software. The problem is more common once the OS gets too old or was recently updated.
Alex - I have never had a Mac O.S. update affect the Finder's ability to read a camera SD card (or any card or disk for that matter).

Unfortunately, since I have never had any problems or issues, all I can do is describe what happens when everything works. I have no fixes for problems.
10-31-2021, 03:01 PM   #7

What camera?

The K-3iii and GR-III use MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) for the USB connection rather than USB Mass Storage Class. Apparently Mac OS (at least Big Sur) does not support MTP natively and you have to add a third-party program/driver. However you should be able to use a reader with the SD card.

Perhaps a hardware problem? Try a different cable and/or port on the Mac.

10-31-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Alex - I have never had a Mac O.S. update affect the Finder's ability to read a camera SD card (or any card or disk for that matter).

Unfortunately, since I have never had any problems or issues, all I can do is describe what happens when everything works. I have no fixes for problems.
Among many hats that I wear, one is running a high school digital media lab with 24 iMacs. Recently when we updated from Mojave to Catalina, my two students shooting a K-70 (RAW DNG) could not see their files on Adobe Downloader or Bridge (this also affected some students with the Nikon D3500 and Canon SL3).

The fix was updating Camera Raw, Bridge, and Photoshop.

This may or may not have anything to do with the OP's problem, but from my experience, it's a possibility.

I've also had some glitches with my own laptop when I went from an Intel to the new Apple M1 chip. It could have also been the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur. But in either case, the glitches have been fixed with updates using Adobe Creative Cloud.
11-02-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please start the standard MacOS App „image capture“ and select the SD card device. Does it show your images?

P.s. you can configure this app so that it starts when a SD card is inserted. You also can configure a target directory on your Mac.