Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Live View vs Viewfinder

My K50 takes wonderful pictures in Live View Mode but when I try to take a shot through the view finder they all come out completely washed with light. I have set all adjustments to Auto and reset the memory. It just started this and I can't figure out what I'm missing. Any help would be awesome as I have a few butterfly chrysalises I want to interval shoot. I've done it before and they came out nice. For some reason my camera has stopped cooperating. Thanks!

11-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Please post some examples
11-01-2021, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pkramer Quote
My K50 takes wonderful pictures in Live View Mode but when I try to take a shot through the view finder they all come out completely washed with light. I have set all adjustments to Auto and reset the memory. It just started this and I can't figure out what I'm missing. Any help would be awesome as I have a few butterfly chrysalises I want to interval shoot. I've done it before and they came out nice. For some reason my camera has stopped cooperating. Thanks!
When shooting interval mode and with the optical view finder, can I assume your eye is not up to the viewfinder?

Stray light coming into the OVF can affect the exposure. The K-50 owner's manual also states, "The exposure may be affected if light enters the viewfinder (except in M mode). Use the AE Lock function or attach the optional ME viewfinder cap."
11-01-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Stray light coming into the OVF can affect the exposure
This is very true but stray light through the viewfinder will cause the meter to produce an underexposed image....the OP is getting overexposed images I think.

It is also possible for bright light shining through the VF to overexpose or fog the image during capture if the mirror seals are not at their best, but this is usually found on long exposures and would affect LV the same.

Really need to see some examples to hazard a guess at the problem.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-02-2021 at 01:42 AM.
11-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #5

It may be the aperture block failure. Very rare but there are a report or two of overexposure rather than under exposure.
11-02-2021, 02:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank You for the feedback. I will try to get some examples up after work tonight.
11-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It may be the aperture block failure. Very rare but there are a report or two of overexposure rather than under exposure.
Overexposure can happen only, if the solenoid is either:
- filed/sanded and cannot lock anymore (but this happens then in LV-mode as well)
- a SLR instead a DSLR solenoid from a MZ/ZX series camera was used to replace the green China-Solenoid, because their holding-force is that bit to weak
(as for 6V instand of 7.2 V)

11-02-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank You for the feedback. I will try to get some examples up after work tonight.
And if you can also let us know the lens being used, and what metering mode (Matrix/Centre-Weighted/Spot) was used for both LV and VF captures.
11-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The simple solution to check out light leakage through the viewfinder is to place something over the viewfinder when shooting (after setting up your interval shots, of course) and see if the problem persists. I made a simple plug for my K-1 viewfinder out of soft, black art foam and it slides in the VF eyepiece nicely. If the issue still happens, then it's something else.
11-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I second this idea!
11-03-2021, 12:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
I second this idea!
Why? How could an original China solenoid in the case of ABF produce overexposed photo?
It is impossible!

Only if it is filed/sanded OR if the wrong solenoid for 6V instead of 7.2V with a lower holding-force was built in this can happen
and then LV cannot work.

ABF ALWAYS produces underexposed photos if not fully stopped down!
11-04-2021, 02:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have not had a chance to get a photo copied to this post, but I am using a 55mm lens and my focal length is set to 55mm. I have blocked the viewfinder with tissue paper and a rubber band and still it washes any type of picture I try to take through the view finder. I've changed lenses and settings and walked around the neighborhood shooting different lighting scenarios and even tried B&W. Everything washes. Like I said, this is a new issue. I have had the camera in the closet for a while and haven't used it since last year at my daughter's wedding. Thanks for all your help. I will try to get pics up soon.
11-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have not had a chance to get a photo copied to this post, but.... I will try to get pics up soon.
What's really going to help us help you is that the example posted includes the EXIF metadata.

I want to see what exposure mode are you shooting in and if exposure compensation +/- is set to 0.0EV.

If the image is totally washed out, tell us what time of day it was taken, in full sun, cloudy, shade, etc.
11-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but I am using a 55mm lens and my focal length is set to 55mm
Which 55mm lens, the DA* 55mm 1.4 ?
11-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've changed lenses and settings
That would eliminate the lens as the problem source. Be sure you are using segmented metering, not spot metering, but the fact of no problem in LV also indicates something to do with the mechanism when using the VF. It sounds like something is slowing down the shutter's action. To make an accurate comparison between LV and using the VF, it is best to use a tripod with SR turned off, so you can shoot the same exact scene with both methods, under lighting that is not changing like clouds drifting over, etc.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-04-2021 at 11:35 AM.