Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Firmware update for *istDS

I can't bring myself to chuck this one away, even though my K-3 is such a big improvement! But the *ist has an issue which renders it annoying. It works great on AutoPict mode, but not on any of the others since the thumbscrew/knob thing behaves erratically, making it impossible to choose either your shutter speed or aperture. It also plays up trying to zoom in on playback of images.
So I thought, how about a firmware update? Well I tried downloading this from the Ricoh site but seem to be unable to find the downloaded file. I'm using Windows 10, so is that the issue?

Yes it's only 6 megapixels but it's a shame if it's only ever going to work on auto mode.

Thoughts/experience would be much appreciated.

11-11-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #2

This happened to my DS. I fixed it by putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the dial, spinning it to work it in, and let it dry.

I believe it's dirty contacts.
11-11-2021, 07:29 AM   #3

Check your browser settings to see where it places downloaded files.
Also check your file explorer setting to make sure it displays system and hidden files. ".bin" files are usually considered executable files, and are hidden.

11-11-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abbotsway Quote
I can't bring myself to chuck this one away, even though my K-3 is such a big improvement! But the *ist has an issue which renders it annoying. It works great on AutoPict mode, but not on any of the others since the thumbscrew/knob thing behaves erratically, making it impossible to choose either your shutter speed or aperture. It also plays up trying to zoom in on playback of images.
So I thought, how about a firmware update? Well I tried downloading this from the Ricoh site but seem to be unable to find the downloaded file. I'm using Windows 10, so is that the issue?

Yes it's only 6 megapixels but it's a shame if it's only ever going to work on auto mode.

Thoughts/experience would be much appreciated.

Just to make sure we're singing from the same song sheet
You've downloaded ds_e202w.EXE from Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING … is this the file you can't find?
Under W10, if you "Download as" you can tell the computer to save it to your desktop, where it should be easy to find, otherwise it'll probably default to your Downloads folder, if so, copy it to your desktop.
Now double-click the ds_e202w.EXE file to extract the contents. These too should appear on your desktop. Depending on how your computer is set up you may have to "Run as Administrator" to get it to work.
Copy the resultant fwdc131b.bin file to the root of an SD card, as per the instructions in the readme.txt which will have also appeared when you double-clicked the ds_e202w.exe file.
Continue to follow the instructions in the readme and the job will be done
Remember, the instruction to ensure your batteries are fully charged before you start is a vital step.
If the batteries "go flat" halfway through the update you will likely leave your camera totally unusable.
Probably all of my Pentax DSLRs have had the firmware updated at some point, some on several occasions, and I've never had a problem … if you're at all concerned, try the contact cleaner solutions mentioned above first, the fault you describe is unlikely to be resolved by a firmware update, so you'll be squirting the switch soon after almost certainly
Good luck

11-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used electrical contact cleaner spray. Spray a little on either side of the e-dial, spin the dial a few times, then repeat. It may need a few repetitions to fully fix the dial, but it should get better. Also use the contact cleaner on all of the battery contacts.

By default, Windows 10 will fight you a little on the firmware upgrade by hiding the EXE extension, showing dire warnings if you try to run it, stuff like that. I just did it a couple of weeks ago do it is possible. I bought a second DS, "broken" for parts, and it works. Now I'm thinking of making my own *ist DS2 by grafting on the "huge" screen from a DL.
11-11-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abraswell Quote
This happened to my DS. I fixed it by putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the dial, spinning it to work it in, and let it dry.

I believe it's dirty contacts.
Worked! Thank you so much. Had a little bottle of Jessops lens cleaner which is the same stuff. Probably won’t bother with the update since I just wanted it working on the various modes.

---------- Post added 11-11-21 at 10:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just to make sure we're singing from the same song sheet
You've downloaded ds_e202w.EXE from Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING … is this the file you can't find?
Under W10, if you "Download as" you can tell the computer to save it to your desktop, where it should be easy to find, otherwise it'll probably default to your Downloads folder, if so, copy it to your desktop.
Now double-click the ds_e202w.EXE file to extract the contents. These too should appear on your desktop. Depending on how your computer is set up you may have to "Run as Administrator" to get it to work.
Copy the resultant fwdc131b.bin file to the root of an SD card, as per the instructions in the readme.txt which will have also appeared when you double-clicked the ds_e202w.exe file.
Continue to follow the instructions in the readme and the job will be done
Remember, the instruction to ensure your batteries are fully charged before you start is a vital step.
If the batteries "go flat" halfway through the update you will likely leave your camera totally unusable.
Probably all of my Pentax DSLRs have had the firmware updated at some point, some on several occasions, and I've never had a problem … if you're at all concerned, try the contact cleaner solutions mentioned above first, the fault you describe is unlikely to be resolved by a firmware update, so you'll be squirting the switch soon after almost certainly
Good luck
Thanks for that. The cleaner did exactly what I wanted so that’s it.
11-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abbotsway Quote
Probably won’t bother with the update since I just wanted it working on the various modes
I recommend you do update the DS. Lots of added functionlity plus the ability to use SDHC cards

11-12-2021, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By no means use contact spray, it might work for a short time but worse in long term.

I thought this knowledge by now became common knowledge?!

There are special sprays for everything and the trimmer potentiometer of the *ist-DS is conductive plastic, which will be destroyed if normal contact cleaner is used!

Read this tutorial:
Repair E-Dial Pentax *ist-DS (DL/2, K100D, L110D, K200D, Samsung GX1) - PentaxForums.com