Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2021, 03:03 AM   #1

More odd behaviour on *istDS

Firstly a big thank you to those who advised me on the e-dial issue - erratic behaviour due to dirty contacts - and to the advice about updating the firmware, which, after a fair bit of ineptitude on my part I now have sorted!
However, there now appears a strange thing or two which again I am at a loss to explain or sort out. I suspect they are all linked in some way which I am missing.

On every mode other than M and B the LCD display insists on showing the exposure compensation reading (the -2.0 to +2.0 thing). And when this shows the remaining exposure number doesn't of course. Pressing the +- button does nothing. The e-dial does correctly change this reading but the only way it will disappear is on the M and B modes. Also, the zooming feature on playback using the e-dial now doesn't work at all. I should add these issues appeared before the update and remain afterwards.
Again the camera itself works in every other respect. However, the modes other than AUTO are pretty much useless unless I can get rid of the exposure compensation issue.
Hope that's clear. Maybe the electronics have terminal malfunction now?!

Attached Images

11-14-2021, 05:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like your +/- AV button is stuck somehow. As long as I press the button on my DS in playback mode the e-dial doesn't zoom as well. Is there any noticable down movement when you press the button?
11-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
Seems like your +/- AV button is stuck somehow. As long as I press the button on my DS in playback mode the e-dial doesn't zoom as well. Is there any noticable down movement when you press the button?
Certainly seems like it. There is movement on the button, just like the AE lock one. When I use depth of field preview the exposure number returns. It's a pity this because once the e-dial was sorted I thought I was onto a winner!
11-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #4

Does the *istDS have a green button? Pressing the green button and the +/- button resets the EC to zero.

Do you have auto bracketing on?

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-14-2021 at 10:01 AM.
11-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does the *istDS have a green button? Pressing the green button and the +/- button resets the EC to zero.
The *istDS doesn't have the magic "green button" as implemented on later cameras, though the AE-L button can serve a double-purpose in Manual mode.
Auto-bracketing doesn't seem to have any effect on the exposure compensation setting, the two features seem to be totally separate.
There's no facility for auto-resetting the exposure compensation on the *istDS, the camera even remembers the compensation when switched off!
It needs to be reset manually by holding down the +/- button and twiddling the e-dial.
Unfortunately it looks like there are more dirty or sticky contacts in the OP's camera
11-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no idea if you're into diy when it comes to camera bodies, but in case you're thinking about takin a look inside, there's a short how to remove the upper shell of the DS to get access to the AV button switch.

How to fix Pentax ist* D DS DL Camera: Pentax ist* DS disassembling, part 1 of 2
11-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good clean of all dials and buttons will most likely solve it.
Did you already open your ist-DS?

11-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

No green button on this. And not using bracketing. Stumped!

---------- Post added 11-14-21 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The *istDS doesn't have the magic "green button" as implemented on later cameras, though the AE-L button can serve a double-purpose in Manual mode.
Auto-bracketing doesn't seem to have any effect on the exposure compensation setting, the two features seem to be totally separate.
There's no facility for auto-resetting the exposure compensation on the *istDS, the camera even remembers the compensation when switched off!
It needs to be reset manually by holding down the +/- button and twiddling the e-dial.
Unfortunately it looks like there are more dirty or sticky contacts in the OP's camera
Yep I think you're right. So close......

---------- Post added 11-14-21 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
I have no idea if you're into diy when it comes to camera bodies, but in case you're thinking about takin a look inside, there's a short how to remove the upper shell of the DS to get access to the AV button switch.

How to fix Pentax ist* D DS DL Camera: Pentax ist* DS disassembling, part 1 of 2
Worth a look. Thanks for that.

---------- Post added 11-14-21 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
A good clean of all dials and buttons will most likely solve it.
Did you already open your ist-DS?
Not yet but when I've plucked up courage!
11-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abbotsway Quote
Not yet but when I've plucked up courage!
It is really easy and straight forward with the ist-DS. Nothing can really go wrong.