Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Manual lens on K20D

I purchased a used K20D camera body in what was supposed to be perfect condition, when i found out how expensive the cheapest repair possibility would be for the repair of my old camera’s malfunctioning rear screen. The New-to-me camera works fine on most things, but it will not shoot with either my old manual SMC-Pentax-M 50mm nor my Macro Tamron AF 90mm when i put it in manual mode re F stops. When i turn it on, the screen comes on for a second or 2 and then goes black. It will shoot with no lens at all, but not with a manual lens in place, nor an automatic lens with F stop to be set manually.

Does anyone know of a way to remedy this? I am not finding anything in the operators manual.

11-14-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJ Quote
The New-to-me camera works fine on most things, but it will not shoot with either my old manual SMC-Pentax-M 50mm nor my Macro Tamron AF 90mm when i put it in manual mode re F stops
My first reaction is to ask if you have set the menu to "Aperture ring Enabled" ?
11-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #4

What you want on the K20D is Custom Setting menu "36.Using aperture ring: Permitted." That will enable you to take pictures with the ring set to something other than A.

I don't know what is causing the rear screen to go black after 1 to 2 seconds. Check that the Set-up menu "Guide display" is set to 10 sec or 30 sec rather than Off or 3 sec.

11-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always a good idea when acquiring a used DSLR to perform a reset to factory-setting of all functions, then go from there with your own adjustments.
11-14-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Except I believe the default (factory reset) is to not allow aperture ring use. Not that it isn't a good idea, just not to assume it must be/should be allow aperture ring.
11-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased a used K20D camera body in what was supposed to be perfect condition, when i found out how expensive the cheapest repair possibility would be for the repair of my old camera’s malfunctioning rear screen. The New-to-me camera works fine on most things, but it will not shoot with either my old manual SMC-Pentax-M 50mm nor my Macro Tamron AF 90mm when i put it in manual mode re F stops. When i turn it on, the screen comes on for a second or 2 and then goes black. It will shoot with no lens at all, but not with a manual lens in place, nor an automatic lens with F stop to be set manually.

Does anyone know of a way to remedy this? I am not finding anything in the operators manual.
You asked about the LCD repair before.
You planned to check inside if connections are alright. Did you get any further?

Without being able to see the menu on the screen no chance to change anything which you have to to make the use of manual lenses possible.

But maybe if you connect the K20D to your computer via PK-Tether!
The other possibility would be to connect an external LCD.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/54137-how-do-i-...-k20d-lcd.html

Last edited by photogem; 11-15-2021 at 12:47 AM.
11-15-2021, 01:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Except I believe the default (factory reset) is to not allow aperture ring use. Not that it isn't a good idea, just not to assume it must be/should be allow aperture ring.
Right- first get rid of any previous odd settings, then go from there with your own settings, which of course would include use of the lens aperture ring.
11-15-2021, 02:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

When i turn it on, the screen comes on for a second or 2 and then goes black.
I guess that it is nothing alarming, the follow up K-7 does exactly the same, so perhaps it is for saving battery power. When I bought the K-3 II I wondered why it did not turn off.
11-15-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I guess that it is nothing alarming, the follow up K-7 does exactly the same, so perhaps it is for saving battery power. When I bought the K-3 II I wondered why it did not turn off.
Really?
One switches a K-7 on and the LCD goes off just to save battery power?
11-15-2021, 03:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Right- first get rid of any previous odd settings, then go from there with your own settings, which of course would include use of the lens aperture ring.
And how is he going to do that if:
When I turn it on, the screen comes ON for a second or 2 and then goes black.
2 sec. are not enough to do any setting in the menu.

That's the main problem.
11-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
2 sec. are not enough to do any setting in the menu.

That's the main problem.
Usually you press the menu button to get to the menu's. The OP describes what happens if he turns it on. And that is normal behaviour.
11-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

lets go back one step. does the camera work with AF lenses?

when using a NON AF lens when you turn it on, it should prompt for focal length, does it do this?
11-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Usually you press the menu button to get to the menu's. The OP describes what happens if he turns it on. And that is normal behaviour.
No, he describes that the LCD does go on and 2 sec. later goes off. He has no access to the menu.

Best to read the whole story:
K20D screen failure - PentaxForums.com

and then again his first post in this thread.

Understand the meaning of:
"when i found out how expensive the cheapest repair possibility would be for the repair of my old camera’s malfunctioning rear screen."
Unless he has repaired it (I asked how far he got with that or if anything was done") there is
ZERO possibility to get into the menu and follow this advice:
"Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)"

Last edited by photogem; 11-15-2021 at 11:53 AM.
11-15-2021, 11:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The New-to-me camera works fine on most things,
Under what condition and lenses does it work fine?

---------- Post added 11-15-21 at 11:56 AM ----------

but not with a manual lens in place, nor an automatic lens with F stop to be set manually.
No problem with other lenses?