Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

K-70 Sensor went dark after a few minute video capture test

After testing my relatively new K-70, the sensor went dark and the unite was not longer useable. Have I burnt the solenoid?

11-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wouldn't be a solenoid failure - that doesn't affect the sensor.

Are you saying that the sensor readout is black and nothing is seen on the screen in live view? Are the pictures turning out black as well?

Try a factory reset on the camera, could fix some sort of malignant settings or bug.
11-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteelFalcon Quote
After testing my relatively new K-70, the sensor went dark and the unite was not longer useable. Have I burnt the solenoid?
What do you mean by the sensor went dark?
11-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did it overheat?

Also, I know you mentioned video, but if it was just a long exposure then the slow shutter speed noise reduction option could lock up the camera for the same duration as the exposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2021, 03:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The solenoid can't get burned, what happens is that remains stuck.

That happens particular often after a longer period of no use!

The result are dark photos, almost black.

But often in Liveview-mode for a time photos seem fine.

All that has nothing to do with the sensor itself.
And yet, the sensor can get burned after intensive video-use. But usually the Pentax switches off before to protect.
So most unlikely anything happened because of using in in video-mode.
11-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hope you find a solution. The K-70 is a great body, but not so good for video work....
11-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it be that just the screen on the back went black? You can get it back on by pressing the INFO button.

Or the battery went too low?

12-06-2021, 06:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the tips...however...

Thank you very much for your responses. The screen is quite clear when the settings are displayed. It is as clear when browsing through the settings. However, the captured photos are far too dark to even recognize anything captured. I originally thought it doesn't capture anything until I tried to open the files from a computer. Someone said a factory reset might do the trick but I don't know how it's done on the K-70. But in case it's condition remains the same, I'd still be open for more suggestions.
I fully agree that this K-70 like any other Pentax is also a great body. It must have simply been a misfortune that I got this problem with it. Hence, any suggestion or recommendation would be so much welcome.
12-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Someone said a factory reset might do the trick but I don't know how it's done on the K-70.
Go into the menus, and according to the K-70 manual (pg 33) it's on the spanner page number 5, called "Reset".
12-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you very much for your responses. The screen is quite clear when the settings are displayed. It is as clear when browsing through the settings. However, the captured photos are far too dark to even recognize anything captured. I originally thought it doesn't capture anything until I tried to open the files from a computer. Someone said a factory reset might do the trick but I don't know how it's done on the K-70. But in case it's condition remains the same, I'd still be open for more suggestions.
I fully agree that this K-70 like any other Pentax is also a great body. It must have simply been a misfortune that I got this problem with it. Hence, any suggestion or recommendation would be so much welcome.
Most likely it is ABF, i.e. a stuck solenoid.
Apply:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
and then, if clear, apply:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

A reset won't do anything!