Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D FA 21mm Limited Lens, silver vs. black?

Can someone explain to me why there are two versions of this lens? Why would you prefer the silver vs. the black, or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance!

12-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's so you can match or contrast with the colour of the camera body, as per your preference.

I've always gone for black bodies and black lenses, but silver lenses on black bodies and black lenses on silver bodies can look very cool sometimes. In the Pentax film camera days, many bodies were silver, but almost all lenses - at least those from the manual-focus era - were black. It was a nice colour combo, actually.

It's just cosmetic... the lenses are identical in every other way
12-24-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On their own I think the silver ones look better. But silver bodies aren't my favorite. All up to your personal preference!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes the silver lenses are limited editions with only a certain number produced, such as the DFA*50, DFA*85, and DFA*70-200, or the A50 1.2. They usually also release camera bodies and grips with the silver finish to match.
Silver (albeit a different finish) was also the color of the FA* line, which for sure had some legendary Pentax lenses.
With the FA Limiteds, some people think that the silver ones are more durable (for the finish on the outside of the lens, exclusively) than the black. The idea being that the silver is the color of the metal lens body, whereas the black is an applied finish. Not sure if that applies to the DA limiteds as well. Also worth noting, the FA* silver finish is well known for not being durable, and used examples of those lenses with scratched finish are common.
Last note will be that Pentax has in the past released some of their cameras and lenses in lots of bright colors other than black or silver, and sometimes been the butt of jokes as a result.

But yes, it's really just a choice of styling. The images will come out exactly the same (unless you're photographing your equipment in the mirror...) no matter what color your camera.

12-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It matches my Silver K1ii........... and feels good in the hand compared to the black ones, also it matches my silver 31 43 and 77, what choice did I really have?
12-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

silver all the way
12-24-2021, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the day, all gear was metal (silver).
Ya had to pay extra to get it painted black.

So then, it got real fancy and cool to have black gear.
Next thing you know, all gear is black.

Fast forward a few years, now it looks fancy to be retro and have a silver piece of kit.

12-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #8

Silver one has more charm and originality
12-24-2021, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personal preference, I had a red K-50 when I bought my silver 15, great looking combo, but it looks good on my black KP too
12-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ll agree with Adam. While silver lenses are pretty good looking, silver bodies.....meh.....
But a contrasting combination of either way is beautiful. The design of some limited lenses is offering better aesthetics with silver finish. Older film lenses are weird looking...
12-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fayssal Quote
Silver one has more charm and originality
Exactly, moreover when you shoot in hard summer conditions, the silver color doesn't heat as much as the black one.
12-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I’ll agree with Adam. While silver lenses are pretty good looking, silver bodies.....meh.....
But a contrasting combination of either way is beautiful. The design of some limited lenses is offering better aesthetics with silver finish. Older film lenses are weird looking...
IMO it's because silver bodies are painted, while the silver Limiteds are just the actual metal. They look gorgeous IMO (and I may or may not have the 43 and 77 in silver)
12-24-2021, 11:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Especially for Limited lenses, I prefer silver. I just like the look, plus it's a metal body. Personally, I think the silver lenses look cool with black bodies. In film days, most cameras were silver with black lenses. I guess what I like today is the reverse of that aesthetic.

Plus, when I was in college, there were certain Tamron Adaptall silver zoom lenses. They were some of the early half-way decent zooms and I thought it would be the coolest thing if I could afford one or two. I couldn't however, so maybe now I'm making up for it?

12-25-2021, 01:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the sun silver bodies and lenses heat less strongly up.

But often silver bodies are more sensitive, depending on the surface.
For a short time I had a K3 with battery-grip in silver: The surface was not that good, too sensitive
A friend has a K200D silver: Super sensitive surface!

My first KP was silver, surface was very well done. I liked it but sold it when I got a super offer for a new KP in black with new warranty.

I often use it with my HD DA35/2,8 macro limited which is silver, looks very good indeed.
12-25-2021, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My silver colored KP and 20-40 Ltd lens
Silver finish of the body is robust
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo