Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2022, 01:03 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For urban settings I use Pentax SMC DA 16-50 F 2.8 lens. This is a great lens and very versatile. I dropped my camera in Germany and the point of impact was the edge of that lens. It destroyed the UV filter, and I could not unscrew what was left of it. I went to a camera shop and they ultimately had to cut off the corner of that filter. I bought a new UV filter there (outrageous price) and was on my way. The lens was damaged, and I didn't 16mm to high 20's. The photos I took 30 mm to 50 mmm were smart and clear. I had the lens repaired when I got home. Cost was about $150.00.
For out in the country so to speak my main lens is Pentax DA 50 - 135 mm. F 2.8. I occasionally have had problems with this lens just locking up on me. The Pentax DA L 55 - 300 mm is a fine lens. The Pentax FA 80-320 is a useful and very light lens.

01-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
18-135 definitely. I got this lens last year specifically for traveling and backpacking so I wouldn’t have to change lenses in the woods or while touring with my family. I love it and it has just enough reach and is just wide enough to be very versatile.
01-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ctt Quote
Hello:

If you had only one lens to take on a road trip, what would it be?

Tks!
My 18-270mm lens. It is a perfect lens for travelling and hiking. I love that it keeps my load light and I have wide angle capabilities as well as a long zoom without the hassle of having to change lenses. The photo quality has been outstanding - I have had several of my travel photos printed on canvas, with the largest being 32"x44" and the clarity and detail is amazing! It has been one of the best investments in lenses that I have made.
01-05-2022, 01:41 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Profligatographer Quote
In 2007, I bought a Pentax K-10d and a 21mm f/3.2 Limited lens. Took it with me to Paris (see Original Refrigerator Art).

Went back in 2009 and 2011, with this same lens on Pentax K-20d, then K-5. (see Here Now, Gone Before Long)

The Trump pandemic halted my travels abroad, but I still use that 21mm lens on K-3, K-1, and K-70, although I have added most of the other Pentax limited primes.

Were I to travel tomorrow, I would probably take the K-70 (love that articulated LCD and built-in flash) and the trusty 21mm lens.

T.
I took my 21mm to Paris the second time I went (though not as my only lens) and was very happy with the results even though I was focusing manually on a Fujifilm X-M1.

These days I need a zoom for travel due to the kids (switching lenses frequently would be too time-consuming) but I have travelled using a few DA Limiteds and it's a very enjoyable experience.

01-05-2022, 01:59 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Only the 16-85 has HD of these two. The 18-135 is SMC only.
I found the 18-135 has noticeable vignetting and CA, but still the lens for traveling, have not tried the 18-250/270 don't know how they perform.
01-05-2022, 02:01 AM   #66
Forum Member

Of course it depends of the situation I travel: for holidays I always take a few lenses for choice with me and then choose the ones I think fit the situation the best.
So, if I would visit a city I would either take the 15-30mm or the 24-70mm during daylight, at night perhaps instead the FA 31mm limited with the K1.
If I want to make landscape-photography it becomes more difficult. Then it would depend of the kind of landscape I go and if I need to hike long trails or not. The 15-50mm of course would be great, but lighter and a bit more versatile would be the 24-70mm f2,8. The 28-105 I almost don’t use anymore, it’s a bit silly perhaps but I miss the missing range at the wider end.
But normally I take two lenses on hikes with me: if the weight and size is not a problem the K1 with the 24-70 plus the 60-250mm or the KP with DA* 16-50mm f2,8 (old version)
plus an old Sigma 100-300mm f4,5-6,7 DL.
If I want to do Portraits of one or two persons either the FA 77 limited or the D-FA 70-200mm f2,8 for group portraits the FA 31mm limited.
01-05-2022, 02:14 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zahnski Quote
Of course it depends of the situation I travel: for holidays I always take a few lenses for choice with me and then choose the ones I think fit the situation the best.
So, if I would visit a city I would either take the 15-30mm or the 24-70mm during daylight, at night perhaps instead the FA 31mm limited with the K1.
If I want to make landscape-photography it becomes more difficult. Then it would depend of the kind of landscape I go and if I need to hike long trails or not. The 15-50mm of course would be great, but lighter and a bit more versatile would be the 24-70mm f2,8. The 28-105 I almost don’t use anymore, it’s a bit silly perhaps but I miss the missing range at the wider end.
But normally I take two lenses on hikes with me: if the weight and size is not a problem the K1 with the 24-70 plus the 60-250mm or the KP with DA* 16-50mm f2,8 (old version)
plus an old Sigma 100-300mm f4,5-6,7 DL.
If I want to do Portraits of one or two persons either the FA 77 limited or the D-FA 70-200mm f2,8 for group portraits the FA 31mm limited.
I picked the 18-135 b4 the 16-50, bcoz the latter is not very useful in daily use except for street photography, 16 is wide enough but 50 is bit too short for portrait, something around FF equivalent of 24-90/105 is about right, but Pentax does not have such lens except the old SMC back then so I picked the 16-50.

---------- Post added 01-05-22 at 05:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
To be fair, if the OP had created the thread with the subject "Recommend me a travel lens" then people wouldn't come in here ignoring the first two pages and just posting whatever they think their best travel setup is.

Also, it must be stated that the OP already has a lens that for many is the perfect travel lens (the DA 18-270mm) but is experiencing focus issues, described in another thread.

I would say that until the OP finds out what the issue is with his equipment and decides if he needs a new camera, this thread does not have a whole lot of purpose. Perhaps a new K-70 to go with his DA 18-270mm is what he needs (or a used K-5 or KP, or even a new K-3 III... no idea what the OP really needs and what his budget is!)
He started with "only one lens to take" so it must be only one lens to cover all his needs.

01-05-2022, 02:45 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I had the Tamron-badged version of the 18-250 as my only lens for 6 years. I liked it at the time, but when I got the 18-135 I found it a big improvement. The humble DA L 55-300mm f4-5.8 was much better than the 18-250 at the long end.

I agree about the vignetting and CA (particularly purple fringing) on the 18-135. Vignetting isn't such a problem because it is usually automatically corrected in PP, with the lens profile. Purple fringing can be ameliorated, but sometimes it is so bad it leaves a residue. All the same, it is a very good lens for a one-lens travel solution.
Yes, purple fringing is quite pronounce especially when shoot at the branches with bright sky, that's a headache to me as I do birding quite a lot, that's why I turned to mirror lens, not as good as glass lens but absent of CA is definitely a plus to me, just need to enhance the image in post make it look good.
01-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to chime in on this subject.
If I were to take only a single lens to cover the massive variety of subjects one will encounter during a journey, my Sigma DC 18-300mm EX HSM Contemporary would be that lens. I lucked out last year and found a fellow PF member in Ireland who was selling his copy of this scarce as honest politicians in Pentax mount lens. Other than being a bit slow to autofocus, the lens performance is simply brilliant for a super zoom!

My two lens, and most used kit, is the Pentax HD DA 16-85WR and the HD DA 55-300 PLM WR. On APSC, those extra 2mm down to 16 at the short end makes a huge difference. WR and Pentax color rendition are another bonus with this option.
01-07-2022, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I have to chime in on this subject.
If I were to take only a single lens to cover the massive variety of subjects one will encounter during a journey, my Sigma DC 18-300mm EX HSM Contemporary would be that lens. I lucked out last year and found a fellow PF member in Ireland who was selling his copy of this scarce as honest politicians in Pentax mount lens. Other than being a bit slow to autofocus, the lens performance is simply brilliant for a super zoom!

My two lens, and most used kit, is the Pentax HD DA 16-85WR and the HD DA 55-300 PLM WR. On APSC, those extra 2mm down to 16 at the short end makes a huge difference. WR and Pentax color rendition are another bonus with this option.

My wife loves her 18-300 and my only regret is that I did not buy two when they could be had new (damn Sigma, even the 17-50 is now discontinued).
I have your 16-85 / 55-300 combo, and add the 10-17 to cover everything, there.