Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be fair, if the OP had created the thread with the subject "Recommend me a travel lens" then people wouldn't come in here ignoring the first two pages and just posting whatever they think their best travel setup is.

Also, it must be stated that the OP already has a lens that for many is the perfect travel lens (the DA 18-270mm) but is experiencing focus issues, described in another thread.

I would say that until the OP finds out what the issue is with his equipment and decides if he needs a new camera, this thread does not have a whole lot of purpose. Perhaps a new K-70 to go with his DA 18-270mm is what he needs (or a used K-5 or KP, or even a new K-3 III... no idea what the OP really needs and what his budget is!)

12-28-2021, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

For apsc I would advice the 17-70/4 SDM
12-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #33
Pentaxian

These are my choices for traveling with my K-3

Where size is not an issue and versatility is important: DA 16-85
Where size matters one or two small primes DA 21 and/or DA 40 limiteds
Where wildlife photography is likely 55-300 PLM.
12-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the K10D.

Where are you traveling too?

Older cities, close quarters - Sigma 10-20 f3.5 ( older parts of Boston, NY, Jersusalem, London, Paris, Rome, ...)
You can get into narrow spaces. You can shoot buildings that are close by without having the "topple". At the long end you can take undistorted pictures of people.

Natural settings, wide visitas, close objects, far object - Pentax DA* 16-50
This is a weatherproof wide to tele zoom. That extra one millimeter at the wide end means a lot. If you want wide visitas or to take in most of an interior that can be done at the wide end. At the tele end portraits and selective landscapes. It is fast too.

Museums - Pentax 50mm f2.8 macro
This can be used for details small objects or entire paintings.

Zoos, wild animal parks - Pentax 55-300 older model
This is simple. You need the reach.

12-28-2021, 05:56 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
If you had a K10D you'd buy one of those lenses for it? Really?
OP didn't ask what lens to buy. They asked us what we would take on a roadtrip if we were only taking one lens. Or that's how I (and several others) interpreted it. If I misinterpreted the question, OP, sorry.

I also don't think it's a pointless thread. Asking questions like this is how people get to be more knowledgeable about photography and photographers. Indeed, I'm glad OP asked, because I'm somewhat interested in the answers of people more experienced than myself, or just those with different gear.

Although I will say this; with my interchangeable lens camera, I will pretty much always have more than one lens with me. At least back in the car in the parking lot of wherever I'm visiting.
But then, fiddling with the gear is almost as much a part of the hobby for me as the pictures are, and I don't care who knows it. Everyone enjoys things in their own way.
12-28-2021, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I also don't think it's a pointless thread. Asking questions like this is how people get to be more knowledgeable about photography and photographers. Indeed, I'm glad OP asked, because I'm somewhat interested in the answers of people more experienced than myself, or just those with different gear.

Although I will say this; with my interchangeable lens camera, I will pretty much always have more than one lens with me. At least back in the car in the parking lot of wherever I'm visiting.
But then, fiddling with the gear is almost as much a part of the hobby for me as the pictures are, and I don't care who knows it. Everyone enjoys things in their own way.
I concur with both parts of this post. In most scenario's a zoom with a large range (18-135/18-270 etc.) can pair nicely with one or two primes for size and speed and function. Maybe a DA 15 for wider angles and a DA 50 f1.8 for shallow DOF and low light.
12-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #37

For the past couple of years it's been the DA16-85mm.

I've recently bought a DA20-40mm. My plan is to use it as my urban travel lens. However haven't actually tried the idea out yet. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't.

12-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
OP didn't ask what lens to buy. They asked us what we would take on a roadtrip if we were only taking one lens. Or that's how I (and several others) interpreted it.
That is a way to interpret it but when he answered specificly that he has a K10D the PLM for sure wouldn't work.
I guess that the source for many recommendations isn't interpretation but just not having read that a K10D is the platform.

But in the meantime it turned out that it isn't a K10D after all but a K-3.
Nevertheless, with questions like this one I take into account which body it is.
12-28-2021, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

I guess that the source for many recommendations isn't interpretation but just not having read that a K10D is the platform.
Maybe a good guess, we'll see if you win the big prize.
I know, however, that I read the whole thread before I replied. I also didn't bring up the PLM.

Anyhow, I'll stick with my response and you can stick with yours. OP can make their call based on whatever input appeals to their sensibilities.
Bickering about this any further seems like a bit of a threadjack.
12-28-2021, 11:34 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I had to quickly pick only one lens for travel, I'd choose the 18-135mm without looking back. If I had a 16-85, that might be a contender, particularly because of the expanded view at the lower end.

If it is a special purpose trip, like birding, the choices might be more complex (and weighty). But the 55-300mm PLM is a surprisingly good lens for its cost and size.

If it is a generally urban trip, I might be tempted to use the 12-24mm, as I've found it particularly good for closer quarters often found on city streets and interiors.
12-28-2021, 11:44 PM   #41
Forum Member

It's breaking the rules. but I'd take the two standard DA* zooms (they can be found used in the $300 neighborhood). Just did a short European tour and had just the two of them. The ability to shoot at night with reasonable shutter speeds and ISO saved a number of shots. They fit easily into a Tenba 10" top load cube which fits in a backpack and comes with a pack-away shoulder bag. I was able to keep my change of clothes/toiletries in the bottom of the backpack with the cube on top.

To stay in the rules: DA* 16-50. 80% of my photos were with it.
12-28-2021, 11:54 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosillec Quote
It's breaking the rules. but I'd take the two standard DA* zooms (they can be found used in the $300 neighborhood). Just did a short European tour and had just the two of them. The ability to shoot at night with reasonable shutter speeds and ISO saved a number of shots. They fit easily into a Tenba 10" top load cube which fits in a backpack and comes with a pack-away shoulder bag. I was able to keep my change of clothes/toiletries in the bottom of the backpack with the cube on top.

To stay in the rules: DA* 16-50. 80% of my photos were with it.
I suppose I'm unimaginative or maybe just tired, but which two DA* lenses would be the "standards"? I see there are five DA* lenses listed for Pentax DA Zooms. Would you choose 16-50 + the 50-135? Or a couple others?
12-29-2021, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #43

For APC format definitely the DA 16-85mm very good image quality and covers the focal range for 80% of the photos I take.
12-29-2021, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Why give this advice when one (should) know that he has a K10D?
It's not advice. Please re-read the OP. The OP just asked what all of the rest of us would do, and I answered accordingly. Which should have been obvious, since I gave 2 answers for 2 formats----the latter one a format most here don't use.
12-29-2021, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

It's been an interesting couple of days at the forums

According to his other thread, the OP just discovered that he has a K-3, not a K10D. Not sure how these things happen but I've been known to make mistakes like that under stress and being tired. I once went to the emergency with one of my sons and gave the name of another son - multiple times - so imagine how hard it was to get the name changed afterwards for the prescriptions, and how much I was made fun of in the following months and even years... but a lot of nights with little sleep taking care of a baby had led to that point...

Anyway, once again to clarify - OP has a K-3.