Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #1

Ks1 won't focus after disassembly

Hi,
I disassembled my ks1 to fix my "aperture block". To my surprise it worked but now AF won't work. The AF motor goes back and forth but the camera can't find focus. The green square just keeps flashing. Any ideas? It worked fine before I took it apart. Could I have damaged something? Lens is stock 18-55mm SMC.

12-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marojo Quote
Hi,
I disassembled my ks1 to fix my "aperture block". To my surprise it worked but now AF won't work. The AF motor goes back and forth but the camera can't find focus. The green square just keeps flashing. Any ideas? It worked fine before I took it apart. Could I have damaged something? Lens is stock 18-55mm SMC.
Has the little a/f drive "blade" got caught on something so's it's not engaging with the lens?
With the lens removed from the camera, shifting the af/mf lever should cause the "blade" to rise and fall in the mount.
I've read about this happening during reassembly, but I've not needed to disassemble any of my cameras (yet)!
12-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you follow photogem's instructions in this thread: Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S1 - PentaxForums.com

When re-assembling the body, you have to pay attention to the inner and outer part of the AF switch.

I would try to re-assemble it after reading his notes, especially in regards to the position of these switches.
12-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

Did you realign the MF/AF switch on the case properly? The repair guides on the forum gives clear steps on this.

12-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah I read about the AF switch, but since the camera "reacts" correctly when flipping the switch I thought that wasn't the problem. But maybe it is. I will take it apart again and let you know.
12-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Not the switch, but found something else

I took it apart again, and the switch was not the issue. To clarify: the camera can operate the focus mechanism of the lens. It goes back and forth but can't "find" focus. (sorry if I'm not jusing correct terms)

But now I found something strange: after re-assembling the camera again I tried taking photos with live view, and it works perfectly. But when using the viewfinder the camera can't focus. So I'm guessing it must have something to do with the AF-sensor? But why should it be affected after taking the cover off and putting it on again?
12-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Possibly there is dirt under the mirror (don't lift it up mechanically!).

First try with a blower but make sure you don't use anything that can leave residue (such as an earstick)

The way I cleaned dozens and more of Pentax bodies was this way:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/433175-modify-vacuum-clea...static-esd.htm
(now I have a prof. ESD vacuum-cleaner)

Carefully study the thread and find out if your house is save but I think in Sweden you have the same standards as in Switzerland, Germany or UK.
Don't "give a damn then" about the "strong hesitations" but just "do it".

If this does not help, you must sadly have "hurt" something else.
Then only a good patient search can help

Maybe, but only a strong maybe... it is the lens.

12-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The way I cleaned dozens and more of Pentax bodies was this way:https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/433175-modify-vacuum-clea...static-esd.htm
I tried the link, but it didn't work. I'd love to be able to get some of the crud out of my camera (poor habits when I first got it and didn't know better)
12-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strange, no idea why:

Modify vacuum-cleaner for safe dust-cleaning your Pentax (anti-static ESD) - PentaxForums.com
12-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

The AF sensor in the mirror box might need cleaning. Or the hinged mirror for the sensor on the back of the main mirror might need cleaning or isn't moving as it should.
12-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Have you checked the mount contacts for the lens, were they put back correctly?
12-28-2021, 10:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Have you checked the mount contacts for the lens, were they put back correctly?
Did you ever disassemble a Pentax?

The mount-contacts do not come off. That can't be the reason at all because then LV wouldn't work.

Last edited by photogem; 12-29-2021 at 01:36 AM.