Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 won’t turn off

After upgrading to latest firmware last week (red herring?) my K-1 won’t turn off. Top window display stays on, even after removing battery while in the OFF position and THEN putting battery back in while still in OFF. Any ideas on what’s causing this?

12-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure you sure you loaded a firmware upgrade for the K-1 and not the K-1MarkII? The last firmware update for the K-1 was V1.55 on September 20th. Another possibility is that power was interrupted (low battery??) before the update was completed. You could try putting the correct firmware package back in the camera (assuming you took it out after the firmware upgrade) and reinserting the battery to see if it would load and overwrite the existing firmware, but you might be looking at sending it to a repair site if the firmware improperly loaded and bricked the camera.
12-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Camera says Version 1.55 loaded and battery was fully charged. Camera is still operational.
12-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #4

Does it turn on and operate normally? What happens if you let the camera time-out into stand-by and then turn off.

If it turns on and operates normally maybe take risk and re-install the update. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Some of the K-3ii bodies had a similar problem that Ricoh had a recall on certain serial numbers. I've not heard of the problem on the K-1, just the mode dial on some bodies.

12-29-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe read this past discussion to make sure you covered all the bases.
K-1 II will not turn off - PentaxForums.com
12-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
After upgrading to latest firmware last week (red herring?) my K-1 won’t turn off. Top window display stays on, even after removing battery while in the OFF position and THEN putting battery back in while still in OFF. Any ideas on what’s causing this?
If you haven't had success in solving this so far, also try the options of removing the battery while the camera is on, and then replacing it with the camera switched off (and replacing it with the camera switched on). Also check to make sure the camera is not in any timer modes (place it in single-shot mode if it is).
12-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next option. Leave the battery out a full day. If that doesn’t work. Two days. Etc. just clutching at straws.

12-29-2021, 11:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Are you sure you sure you loaded a firmware upgrade for the K-1 and not the K-1MarkII? The last firmware update for the K-1 was V1.55 on September 20th. Another possibility is that power was interrupted (low battery??) before the update was completed. You could try putting the correct firmware package back in the camera (assuming you took it out after the firmware upgrade) and reinserting the battery to see if it would load and overwrite the existing firmware, but you might be looking at sending it to a repair site if the firmware improperly loaded and bricked the camera.
No, you cannot update the firmware of the K1II onto the K1 nor K3II on the K3I.
If the update would be interrupted before completion it would be messed up completly! Then nothing would work anymore.

I recommend the debug mode, files you can savely download here:
Files collection to enter Debug Mode - PentaxForums.com
or here:
Dropbox - LensRoms - Simplify your life

Both sources are tested and save!

How to:

1. put both files for you camera on the root of your storage card
2. put sd card in camera but leave the door open
3. turn on
4. now you are in debug menu - have fun!

**K-1** ==> some hex editing is needed, have a look here:
Resurrecting Pentax firmware hacking - Page 42 - PentaxForums.com & KS-2 & K-1**

==> put DEVELOP.MOD to sd-card to get debug-menu 1-6 or rename DEVELOP1.MOD to DEVELOP.MOD and put it to sd-card to get debug-menu 7-9

You have to leave door open and hold MENU button to get into debug-menu!
12-30-2021, 07:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I recommend the debug mode, files you can savely download here:
Files collection to enter Debug Mode - PentaxForums.com
or here:
Dropbox - LensRoms - Simplify your life
What would you suggest that he does in the debug mode once enabled?

I’ve been in debug on a number of Pentax cameras, but I don’t own a k-1 and I’ve never looked for any options in my other cameras to test power control.
12-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Next option. Leave the battery out a full day. If that doesn’t work. Two days. Etc. just clutching at straws.
Tried this simplest approach first by leaving the battery out overnight. No difference this morning, I’m afraid. Thanks though!

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Maybe read this past discussion to make sure you covered all the bases.
K-1 II will not turn off - PentaxForums.com
Funny that my search of the forum before I posted didn't turn up that thread. I read through it, but sadly nothing there described my experience. There was mentioning of off-brand batteries. I have three original Pentax batteries from my K-5, K-01, and K-1. I used all three batteries interchangeably with my K-1 as I hardly ever use the other two cameras. I fully charged the batteries before upgrading firmware, as I was leaving the next day on a trip.
12-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other thought is that it may be the power switch itself and it's failed in the ON position internally. Give it a push into the DOF preview position while the camera is functional and see if anything happens. If such is the case, it too also, will most likely require a trip to a repair shop.
12-30-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does it turn on and operate normally? What happens if you let the camera time-out into stand-by and then turn off.

If it turns on and operates normally maybe take risk and re-install the update. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Some of the K-3ii bodies had a similar problem that Ricoh had a recall on certain serial numbers. I've not heard of the problem on the K-1, just the mode dial on some bodies.
The camera stays on regardless of setting. I can only power off by removing battery.

If it goes into standby (sometimes it does) while off, pressing the shutter button while in OFF reactivates the camera for a few moments with screen flashes bit then goes back into standby mode. Since reinstalling firmware (more below on firmware update, which is where I think the source of the problem lies) the top LCD window display seems to flash less chaotically.

I did reinstall the firmware this morning, and I think the original install is where I made my mistake. I'm 99% sure I mistakenly copied the fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz onto the SD card, not fwdc228b.bin. The latter is what I reinstalled this morning, and while the underlying problem is not gone the camera does seem to behave a bit better with less flashing in the LCD, it does go into standby, and the LCD dims when I turn it off which it did not do before. Still, pressing the shutter while in OFF reactivates the camera.

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 11:06 AM ----------

If you haven't had success in solving this so far, also try the options of removing the battery while the camera is on, and then replacing it with the camera switched off (and replacing it with the camera switched on). Also check to make sure the camera is not in any timer modes (place it in single-shot mode if it is).
Neither of these had any effect.

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 11:11 AM ----------

One other thought is that it may be the power switch itself and it's failed in the ON position internally. Give it a push into the DOF preview position while the camera is functional and see if anything happens. If such is the case, it too also, will most likely require a trip to a repair shop.
One additional observation this morning after reinstall: pressing the shutter button while OFF activates the top LCD and both orange lights, but pressing the MENU button does not activate the rear screen. I have to turn ON for that to activate.

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 11:14 AM ----------

I’ve been in debug on a number of Pentax cameras, but I don’t own a k-1 and I’ve never looked for any options in my other cameras to test power control.
Thanks for this, I was not aware such a function exists. I am on the road and, given that the camera is still functional, I am reluctant to try this now in case I screw up something and accidentally create a doorstop. I may have to tackle this approach once I get back home.

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 11:15 AM ----------

Yes, please! I would like to know more about this!!!
12-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm 99% sure I mistakenly copied the fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz onto the SD card, not fwdc228b.bin
I am a bit confused now. Where did this file.... fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz.... come from ?
12-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am a bit confused now. Where did this file.... fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz.... come from ?
On a MacBook Pro, when I double clicked the .bin file.
12-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

................................One additional observation this morning after reinstall: pressing the shutter button while OFF activates the top LCD and both orange lights, but pressing the MENU button does not activate the rear screen. I have to turn ON for that to activate.[COLOR="Silver"]
Definitely not the switch in that case - a firmware or software issue. Did you try reloading the firmware?