Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 02:00 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
I did reinstall the firmware this morning, and I think the original install is where I made my mistake. I'm 99% sure I mistakenly copied the fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz onto the SD card, not fwdc228b.bin.
Is that a single filename or two files? I'm confused. The first part appears to be identical to the fwdc228b.bin mentioned as replacing it.

I'm not sure you are not chasing a red herring - if that's two files it likely ignored the 2.cpgz or if that's one file I can't imagine it actually tried to do anything with it - but what do I know.

This seems really odd and maybe it would be helpful to get a technician to look at the camera at this point.

12-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What would you suggest that he does in the debug mode once enabled?
That what one does when one has studied the possibilities of the debug mode!
One is a complete reset which is deeper than the menu reset.

There should be zero risk doing this.
I have done it often but I don't own (yet) a K-1.
(Maybe the day will come, maybe not)
12-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
That what one does when one has studied the possibilities of the debug mode!
One is a complete reset which is deeper than the menu reset.

There should be zero risk doing this.
I have done it often but I don't own (yet) a K-1.
(Maybe the day will come, maybe not)
I didn’t realize you could do that kind of reset. My use is quite focused.
12-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Tried this simplest approach first by leaving the battery out overnight. No difference this morning, I’m afraid. Thanks though!

---------- Post added 12-30-21 at 10:51 AM ----------

Funny that my search of the forum before I posted didn't turn up that thread. I read through it, but sadly nothing there described my experience. There was mentioning of off-brand batteries. I have three original Pentax batteries from my K-5, K-01, and K-1. I used all three batteries interchangeably with my K-1 as I hardly ever use the other two cameras. I fully charged the batteries before upgrading firmware, as I was leaving the next day on a trip.
Since nothing is working logically, did you try taking out the memory card and see what happens? Or put in a different blank memory card. Have had some weird things happen in some cameras with a bad card. I take full responsibility if it works, and none of it doesn’t work!

12-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On a MacBook Pro, when I double clicked the .bin file.
I don't know my way around the Mac OS, but it sounds like you have created a different version of the software update. The download from the Ricoh website is a zip file, which should be un-zipped to reveal the file fwdc228b.bin That file should then be placed on a clean , formatted SD card.

If you check the current firmware on your camera using the instructions here, what does it say ? Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

[1] Turn ON the camera.
[2] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
[3] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 4] menu screen.
[4] Select [Firmware Info/Options] in the [Set-up 4] menu then press the four-way controller right.

The firmware version for camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.
12-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #21

The .cpqz is a "zipped" file. You need to unzip it to get the .bin file if you haven't already done so. The "2" on file suggests to me that you have a previous copy of the zipped file and the MacOS added the "2" onto the later download. If you have previous versions move them to another folder or delete them before downloading and unzipping them or the files may get renamed and not recognized by the camera.
12-31-2021, 08:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is that a single filename or two files? I'm confused. The first part appears to be identical to the fwdc228b.bin mentioned as replacing it.

I'm not sure you are not chasing a red herring - if that's two files it likely ignored the 2.cpgz or if that's one file I can't imagine it actually tried to do anything with it - but what do I know.

This seems really odd and maybe it would be helpful to get a technician to look at the camera at this point.
Double-clicking on he downloaded fwdc228b.bin produces fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz.. My thinking at the time was that that was the file I needed to load onto the camera. This morning I found a 2012 web article about cpgz files. It seems to be the result of a few possible scenarios related to the download process.

---------- Post added 12-31-21 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The .cpqz is a "zipped" file. You need to unzip it to get the .bin file if you haven't already done so. The "2" on file suggests to me that you have a previous copy of the zipped file and the MacOS added the "2" onto the later download. If you have previous versions move them to another folder or delete them before downloading and unzipping them or the files may get renamed and not recognized by the camera.
When I restarted the process I deleted the old downloads and downloaded a fresh copy. I did not double click that file and it is the one I reloaded onto the camera.

---------- Post added 12-31-21 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I don't know my way around the Mac OS, but it sounds like you have created a different version of the software update. The download from the Ricoh website is a zip file, which should be un-zipped to reveal the file fwdc228b.bin That file should then be placed on a clean , formatted SD card.

If you check the current firmware on your camera using the instructions here, what does it say ? Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

[1] Turn ON the camera.
[2] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
[3] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 4] menu screen.
[4] Select [Firmware Info/Options] in the [Set-up 4] menu then press the four-way controller right.

The firmware version for camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.
Version 1.55, which displayed both after the first firmware update and now after the second and third updates. (I updated a third time because the camera was behaving a bit better after the second, so I thought another go at it might improve it again.) Note that after the initial update, I had to have the battery partially removed from its compartment BEFORE I pressed on the menu button. Pressing the menu button with the battery in place simply brings up the menu screen. Removing the battery renders the camera as OFF; pressing it into the compartment effectively turns ON the camera.

---------- Post added 12-31-21 at 10:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
did you try taking out the memory card and see what happens?
Yes . . . to no effect.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 12-31-2021 at 08:37 AM.
12-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Double-clicking on he downloaded fwdc228b.bin produces fwdc228b.bin 2.cpgz.. My thinking at the time was that that was the file I needed to load onto the camera. This morning I found a 2012 web article about cpgz files. It seems to be the result of a few possible scenarios related to the download process.
maybe study this thread:
Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
and then try to reinstall the new firmware but change the name to:
fwdc229.bin
Nothing could go wrong if your K1 finds and installs it.
12-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
maybe study this thread:
Running K-50 firmware on K-30 - PentaxForums.com
and then try to reinstall the new firmware but change the name to:
fwdc229.bin
Nothing could go wrong if your K1 finds and installs it.
Update: Based on the article about cpgz files suggesting they can be the result of a corrupted download and to try a different browser, I downloaded the firmware using Firefox rather than Safari. This downloaded a k1_v155.zip file, which I then double clicked to give me the fwdc228b.bin file. This is not what Safari does; the Mac OS automatically extracts the fwdc228b.bin directly and I never see the k1_v155.zip file.

I fully recharged a battery, though I did use it a bit look through the menus and to reformat the SD card in camera (the card is not brand new but almost new). I then loaded the fwdc228b.bin file onto the reformatted card. I did this twice, but I did not change the filename.

The camera is acting better, but not 100 percent better. The camera now goes into standby mode (meaning the LCD does not turn on or stay on while the camera is OFF unless I depress the shutter, when it very briefly activates the LCD and both orange lights, then pages back to sleep. After several minutes the camera will randomly flash back on, sometimes just one or both orange lights, sometimes flash-displaying the manual "Input Focal Length" selection screen on back screen. (A Pentax SMC 28mm lens is currently on the camera.)

I then tried it again changing the file name twice: once to fwdc229.bin and then fwdc229b.bin. The camera didn't;t recognize either file. I changed the filename back to fwdc228b.bin and it started the update process once again. If I don't depress the shutter after reinserting the battery, the camera stays inactive.

I know it doesn't sound better, but it is somewhat better than before. Not satisfactory, but at this point I'm going to live with it so I can continue to use the camera during my trip through Sunday. I'll look into the debug option (which I did download) next week after I get back home.

Thank you for all the mental energy you folks have expended on my behalf. You all help make this a great forum!

Lastly, I've tried to document thoroughly my steps here so that this thread might be helpful should someone else encounter a similar fate. Hopefully we'll end it with a solution.
12-31-2021, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lastly, I've tried to document thoroughly my steps here so that this thread might be helpful should someone else encounter a similar fate. Hopefully we'll end it with a solution.
Smart and considerate move. I am sorry it’s a bit off still and I think you are taking the right course of action.
03-20-2022, 10:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had zero time to do anything about this since returning from my trip. I just updated firmware to 1.60 and the "won't turn off" problem persists. Camera operates when switched off. After taking out the battery and the replacing it, the camera will stay off until I touch the shutter button, when it activates even though switched off. (Sometimes; other times it still turns on after loading the battery and switch is off).

So, I download the Debug files listed above, but I have no idea what to do now. Any recommendations, using everyday non-programmer's language?
03-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What would you suggest that he does in the debug mode once enabled?
Almost forgot one option which I did so often:
"USR DAT CLEAR"
03-21-2022, 07:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I bumbled along through some of the options, including USR DAT CLEAR but having no idea what I am doing, and I didn't want to try just anything for fear of bricking it. I had to redo a number of settings, but no change with the core problem. I'm guessing it is off to the repair yard, and at least a $500 bill. Ugh.