Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2022, 10:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 67 film door

Hi, fellow pentaxians, I was using my Pentax 67, and I noticed the film door isn't a very tight fit. The latch seems tight enough, but the upper left part of the door doesn't sit as close to the body as the lower part and has about 1-2mm play in it. I tried to force the corner back up, but it pushed a little back to the previous position ( I opened the door slightly with film inside; I know it is wrong and might be ruined). Is this normal, or is the door out of alignment? Will this be a cause of light leaks? I don't want to lose the other three rolls I used today.

Thanks in advance and happy new year

01-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, opening the door with loaded film will ruin some frames. Did this just happen? You should know from prior rolls if there is a light leak problem. But your door does sound a little warped. Both my Pentax 6x7 and 67 have some play common to the latch side of the door. No light leaks. There is some foam seal common to the hinge side of the door. Perhaps it would be a good time to replace that if it looks worn and compressed.
01-03-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, opening the door with loaded film will ruin some frames. Did this just happen? You should know from prior rolls if there is a light leak problem. But your door does sound a little warped. Both my Pentax 6x7 and 67 have some play common to the latch side of the door. No light leaks. There is some foam seal common to the hinge side of the door. Perhaps it would be a good time to replace that if it looks worn and compressed.
Yesterday was the first time I noticed this. The previous rolls came out fine. I noticed today that I need to apply some pressure to close the door evenly. Maybe is time to start saving for another body or look for a replacement door. The foam looks fine.
01-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You could apply some electrical tape around the door gap as a temporary measure to keep you going while you find a new door or camera.