Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2022, 04:18 AM   #1

Pentacon 200/4 missing mount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
I have a pentacon 200/4, but it is missing the back part with the mount screw. Is there a way of mounting it on m42 mount? Can I get the missing part/some sort of a replacement without buying a the same lens?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Mi A3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Mi A3  Photo 
01-03-2022, 04:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
possibly you could adapt the T mount adapter.
you will need to do some research and check the thread and pitch on your camera against T mount details.
perhaps something like that

T-ring adapter (T2) for camera with M42 screw lens mount (not Bayonet mount) | eBay

---------- Post added 01-03-22 at 20:05 ----------

perhaps check this out , possibly he is talking about the mount ( foreign language Hungarian )

01-03-2022, 05:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
possibly you could adapt the T mount adapter.
you will need to do some research and check the thread and pitch on your camera against T mount details.
perhaps something like that

T-ring adapter (T2) for camera with M42 screw lens mount (not Bayonet mount) | eBay

---------- Post added 01-03-22 at 20:05 ----------

perhaps check this out , possibly he is talking about the mount ( foreign language Hungarian )

Pentacon 4/200mm aperture and preset repair - YouTube
The adapter you sent is 42mm with 0,75mm pitch to 42mm with 1mm pitch if I understand correctly. What is on the lens isn't a screw thread, but like these weird rings with diameter of about 58mm. I am honestly really confused how it works or how are those rings called.

And I don't sadly speak hungarian, so I haven't really caught anything from the video.

Thx for hrlp btw.
01-03-2022, 05:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is what you're missing. Not an easy diy proposition, it's much more complex than eg a t-mount, and about 11mm thick (ie extension on the lens end). I was looking at the end thread on the lens, at first I thought it might be M58, in which case you could start with a filter or reverse mount, but I think it's a bit smaller ?M57. So I would be looking at cannibilising the mount end of a junk lens to do st.
I think the mount on a 135mm meyer/pentacon is the same, so best option might be to find one of those with a M42 mount, then you can just swap the mount over to use the 200mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
01-03-2022, 06:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
This is what you're missing. Not an easy diy proposition, it's much more complex than eg a t-mount, and about 11mm thick (ie extension on the lens end). I was looking at the end thread on the lens, at first I thought it might be M58, in which case you could start with a filter or reverse mount, but I think it's a bit smaller ?M57. So I would be looking at cannibilising the mount end of a junk lens to do st.
I think the mount on a 135mm meyer/pentacon is the same, so best option might be to find one of those with a M42 mount, then you can just swap the mount over to use the 200mm.
Yeah, it seems you were right and it is 57mm rather than 58mm. I noticed that mount on the pentacon 135mm seems to be the same as well. Although on just some older version I can't find anywhere at the moment. Guess I'll just have to be on lookout for these, I don't have 135mm prime anyway so why not I guess.
Thx for help.
01-03-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This lens was previously branded as the Meyer Optik 'Orestor'.
An interchangeable mount (wechseladapter) was also available for medium format (6x6cm) and Exakta fitting.
With such a large image circle, the central area, especially on an APS-C camera, should be very acceptable, even wide open
Probably well worth finding a mount for!
01-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have access to a lathe you can manufacture this part yourself (I can get the required measurements from my own lens), if not you are probably out of luck and you have to buy the whole lens again, as this part is less common than the lens itself.

01-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I may have this part for the very similar 135/2.8 -- might be the same.
01-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is the same part, yes
01-04-2022, 12:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
If you have access to a lathe you can manufacture this part yourself (I can get the required measurements from my own lens), if not you are probably out of luck and you have to buy the whole lens again, as this part is less common than the lens itself.
Sadly I do not have access a lathe. Guess I'll have to look for a broken piece or the 135mm one.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 12:32 AM ----------

Like a surplus that you could potentially sell me (and is it both the parts?), or just on your lens?
01-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tricam Quote
Sadly I do not have access a lathe. Guess I'll have to look for a broken piece or the 135mm one.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 12:32 AM ----------

Like a surplus that you could potentially sell me (and is it both the parts?), or just on your lens?
I have an extra 135 that is broken, or is an exakta mount or something (I have good copies of both the 200 & 135 in m42 already that I use) -- I can't remember but I know the mount parts are off and I never figured out what I was going to do with it. it is in a box of "to someday repair or get parts from". I'll dig it out today or tomorrow and check it out.
01-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Turns out hat I have is one with an exakta mount which I see is in fact exactly the same as the m42 version except for that mount part -- I can swap it onto either my other 135 (Pentacon) or 200 (Meyer) by unscrewing the ring and swapping the mount.

What I would recommend is exactly as suggested above -- find a 135 version in m42 and then you can swap the mount to either one. They are both terrific lenses. (Just make sure it is the same preset style with that mount system -- there are newer rear aperture versions that are totally different.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 01-04-2022 at 08:41 PM.
01-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
Turns out hat I have is one with an exakta mount which I see is in fact exactly the same as the m42 version except for that mount part -- I can swap it onto either my other 135 (Pentacon) or 200 (Meyer) by unscrewing the ring and swapping the mount.

What I would recommend is exactly as suggested above -- find a 135 version in m42 and then you can swap the mount to either one. They are both terrific lenses. (Just make sure it is the same preset style with that mount system -- there are newer rear aperture versions that are totally different.)
Thank for looking! I already found a seller of used 135mm version of this lens, that has the m42 mount I am looking for. So if everything goes right I should have both of these lenses in working condition.

Btw, so they are really as good as people say? I mean I sure hope they are, given how much effort I have put into making the one I have functional (on of the aperture blades wasn't in place and it was a headache to get it right)
01-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

There is one more trick to using these lenses if you use an m42 adapter than allows infinity focus (i.e. fits inside the K-mount on the body without a big ring on the outside) -- they have narrow bases and this can create a light leak. (I also use an adapter without a spring so it keeps the lens attached with a friction fit.) Other people have used slightly other solutions. See this thread: M42 Adapter - Lenses turning - PentaxForums.com

Here's one I took with the 200. Sharp, nice bokeh, what's not to like?

01-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
There is one more trick to using these lenses if you use an m42 adapter than allows infinity focus (i.e. fits inside the K-mount on the body without a big ring on the outside) -- they have narrow bases and this can create a light leak. (I also use an adapter without a spring so it keeps the lens attached with a friction fit.) Other people have used slightly other solutions. See this thread: M42 Adapter - Lenses turning - PentaxForums.com

Here's one I took with the 200. Sharp, nice bokeh, what's not to like?
Thanks for info. Love the foto!